The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Glovebox latches

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Glovebox latches

Okay, so all of you lucky ones (still under warranty) have been able to get yours replaced. However, people like me (over 97K on my 2000 ES) have to suck it up and just buy a replacement ($23 from Mitsubishi).

I really do not feel like paying $23 for this latch...and another $13 for the little black clip on the lid of the center console box (mine was missing when I bought this car 5 months ago), so I am wondering if anyone's aware of these interior pieces being available on other cars. Other Mitsubishi, Dodge, or anyone else that maybe shares other parts from the same sources....

Elvis

Elwenil
    I would be willing to bet that the latch on a Status coupe would use the same latch, but I haven't actually seen one. I am having trouble understanding why it being available on another car would be useful. If I remember correctly, the price mark-up for Mitsubishi parts through a Chrysler dealership was a fair amount. I know when I worked as a
    Parts Manager that we would sometimes tell people to go buy the Mitsu part from a Mitsu dealer for their Eagle Talon, because it was cheaper. So, yes, I'd say they are available on other vehicles, but unless you are looking for one to swipe it out of, I don't think it's going to help much. I'll be finding more out about this soon, because there is no Mitsubishi dealer in my town, but the Dodge dealer is. So I plan on trying to see just what I can get from Chrysler for my car since they should use the same MB prefix part numbers. If this is what you are thinking, then car a Mitsubishi dealers Parts Dept. and get the part number then see if it can be bought at the Mopar dealer. Just a thought...
    Later...

...not necessarily looking at getting from another dealer. However, knowing what other cars use the same part, expands my search on Ebay, junkyards, and even other carclub's "for sale" sections. Just gives us all more options than just dealers for simple, cheap stuff like this.

I have the latch kinda locked for now, until I can find a replacement, or get pulled over and have to get into the glovebox. So, I have time to look around and be picky/choosy.

Elvis

Okay, so I haven't found a replacement yet and it is now fubarbed and will not close. Gonna go to the dealer and pay my $23 for this non-performance part... (maybe the make carbon-fiber gloveboxes...ha).

Anyway, I am still interested in knowing about more options relative to swappable parts from other cars...so if anyone's got any info, post it here or email me directly..THANX

Elvis

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Okay, so I haven't found a replacement yet and it is now fubarbed and will not close. Â*Gonna go to the dealer and pay my $23 for this non-performance part... (maybe the make carbon-fiber gloveboxes...ha).

Â*Anyway, I am still interested in knowing about more options relative to swappable parts from other cars...so if anyone's got any info, post it here or email me directly..THANX

Elvis</div>

Ya my glove wont close either. It just hangs open, kinda pathetic. I suggest you try locking the glove box. That will work for a while.

umm since when is $23 is a problem? is it just me or does a tank of gas cost more than that?

I had it "forced" closed, but the GF decided that she was gonna put something else in there and tho I warned her that it might be the last time it would close properly, she forced it open. The part that I rigged before even came out (that latches onto the dash piece).

Anyway, I can afford the $23 but still feel it's alot to pay for such an insignifant piece. I could use that towards an aftermarket blowoff valve for my Supra, or some other PERFORMANCE part. Even maybe use it towards something else non-productive, like a big bottle of Captain Morgan's....

Just don't think that the replacement of this interior piece (worth less than $5, but costs $23 because it's a dealer item), will yield me much HP gain...even in my lil' I4....

Went to Mitsubishi:

Mentioned the Galant club and asked if they had a discount. They didn't have one for club members, but they gave it to me for ~$18 anyways... (saving me $6).

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask... Good luck for anyone else looking... I'll post the part number if anyone wants to do some cross-search for availability on other cars....

Elvis

...'nother question:

How do you remove the lock cylinder from the original glovebox latch assembly? Anyone have a trick?

Atlanta - shout out to San Pedro and Panama - que sopa!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    Mentioned the Galant club and asked if they had a discount. They didn't have one for club members, but they gave it to me for ~$18 anyways... (saving me $6).

Elvis
    (some) dealerships give discounts if you mention the galant club?
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT // 3.4L V6
    ____

The SPOT!! - - Dirty South Imports

Nevermind...got it...

Gotta hold down the tumblers with a paperclip or small/tiny screwdriver, while using the key to turn the lock mechanism almost all the way around, to slide out over "groove/lip" that is located on the inside bottom of where the cylinder slides in.

I hadn't found anything when I searched for the process, so hopefully this helps someone out there. I'll do pics, if someone's interested enough...

Elvis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Nevermind...got it...

Gotta hold down the tumblers with a paperclip or small/tiny screwdriver, while using the key to turn the lock mechanism almost all the way around, to slide out over "groove/lip" that is located on the inside bottom of where the cylinder slides in.

I hadn't found anything when I searched for the process, so hopefully this helps someone out there. Â*I'll do pics, if someone's interested enough...

Elvis</div>

Thank you, Elvis!!
    Just replaced my latch and couldn't figure how to remove the cylinder.
    Thanks for the detailed instructions.
    1999 Galant DE