The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is this a good price for VR-4?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Is this a good price for VR-4?

I found a VR-4 (1991) with 117k on it. The guy that owns the car is the head service manager at a mitsubishi dealer and has maintained the car its whole life. One other person owned it before him, and it was a woman driver. She used the car to go to and from work. She kept it in a garage so there is no paint or seat fade. The car has a new trans, clutch, brakes, and axles. He said they didnt really need to be changed but he figured if he was gonna sell it why not. He bought the car from the other people because he didnt want it to go to wholesale and have some moron buy the car and wrap it around a tree! He is asking $6300 but I talked him down to $5500! So I ask you, because I am not too familiar with 6gs, is this a good price for a VR-4? #639 of 2000

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Re: Is this a good price for VR-4?

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nious (aka Kimya)
    I found a VR-4 (1991) with 117k on it. The guy that owns the car is the head service manager at a mitsubishi dealer and has maintained the car its whole life. One other person owned it before him, and it was a woman driver. She used the car to go to and from work. She kept it in a garage so there is no paint or seat fade. The car has a new trans, clutch, brakes, and axles. He said they didnt really need to be changed but he figured if he was gonna sell it why not. He bought the car from the other people because he didnt want it to go to wholesale and have some moron buy the car and wrap it around a tree! He is asking $6300 but I talked him down to $5500! So I ask you, because I am not too familiar with 6gs, is this a good price for a VR-4? #639 of 2000

From the sound of it, I would have bought that car in an instant if I could afford it. You're just lucky I didn't win the lottery last night, or I would come over there and take it off his hands right now!

Seriously though, it sounds as if this is one fine example of the VR4 kind, so the price of it would be the least of my worries if I could afford one. I would just get my ass over there and buy it before some rich kid comes looking for a new toy to crash....

Jan Kenneth Steinsåker
    Norway
    --- Hell Hath No Fury Like My 4G63 ---

www.silvergalant.com

J apmetal
    BITE THE GUY'S HAND OFF !!

If it's really in that kind of condition [and I dont doubt your word that it is] it is definately worth the asking price, never mind what you bumped him down to

ken inn
    dont get so excited. 5500 is high, imho. a rought 57k one just went for 2300 on the galant board. there can be many hidden problems on a vr4. when i got mine from the original owner, who was also a female, the car had minimum maintenance at best. inside the cyl head, the oil was all coked up and nasty brown from oil changes that were too lengthy. the car ran rough, one injector was hanging up, and the timing belt recall had never been done. the rear end howled. exh manifold was cracked, and the turbo was cracked all to heck. one of the problems with the vr4 is slo synchros. i would question the "new" trans. that's over 2 grand, i doubt he would put in a new one. most of us just get the old one rebuilt, and put in stuff like dual synchros, billet shift forks, maybe a 4 spider diff, this all makes the trans a LOT more bulletproof, and costs a lot less. ask him if the transfer case recall has been done, this is VERY important. i can guarantee you that the turbine housing, if it is original, is cracked, and the exh manifold, too. i would bet the valve stem seals are hard, and there is oil consumption. when was the last timing belt job done on the car? this is critical. harmonic balancer? water pump? all this stuff goes out on these cars, and you might end up spending a LOT of money on it right after you buy it. here is one thing i would do, get a vin check, take the vin to the parts dept, and have them run an inquiry on it. look for the oxygen sensor recall, and the timing belt recall, to see if they have been done. have them print out the inquiry, it will tell you everything about the car. be careful. HOWEVER, this is an amazing and a VERY well built car. it was made in japan, and the build quality is excellent. i have owned a lot of cars in my life, and i sell parts for bmw and mercedes for a living. the build quality is easily equal or better, probably the best i have ever owned, and i have owned a LOT of bmw's. i have about 180k on mine, many have gone over 200k already. this is a cult car. there are mods up the butt you can do, and 300 whp is easily obtainable with just bolt on stuff. one vr4 has just run 10.5.

ken inn
    153/2000
    dejon intake, 2g mas, evo 560's, hks cams, tre big 16g, rre pipes, jdm fmic, recaros, lsd, 2.5" turbo back w/o2 eliminator, random technologies cat, whiteline bars/bushings, koni shocks, water injection, fresh trans w/dual synchros, reman driveshaft, reman lsd rear

speedrich
    ken inn.... you've got one bitch of a car man!!!!

she seems to be crazy!! :twisted: :twisted:

good job!

ken inn
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(speedrich)</div><div class='quotemain'>ken inn.... you've got one bitch of a car man!!!!

she seems to be crazy!! Â*:twisted: Â*:twisted: Â*

good job! Â*:D</div>

thanks, mon. this is a GREAT car. very well built. i've had a lot of cars in my time, and this is the best. the performance of this car is astounding. lots of available mods, and a true sleeper. however, if you cant do a lot of the work yourself(timing belt, clutch, brakes, etc) it can eat money.

So you guys think it is too much? Should I bother? Or should I do some looking and possibly get one cheaper and not in as good of condition?

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nious (aka Kimya)
    So you guys think it is too much? Should I bother? Or should I do some looking and possibly get one cheaper and not in as good of condition?
    Buying one that is not in equally good condition could very well end up costing you the same if you have to repair it 'cause of it's less good condition. See what I'm saying?

Jan Kenneth
    --- Hell Hath No Fury Like My 4G63 ---

www.silvergalant.com

ken inn
    this is an old car. the FIRST thing you should consider is, can you do all of the maintenance yourself, or will you be taking it to a shop. not only simple stuff, like oil and filter, but advanced stuff like timing belt, clutch, brakes, turbo, to name a few. if you do not, or dont like to, i would advise you to go elsewhere. older cars, and especially high performance ones, take a lot more maintenance. most of us that own the vr4 do a LOT of work. i just installed an O2 eliminator downpipe, cat, and exhaust. not very hard, BUT, the freaking bolt holes would NOT line up on the downpipe, and i had the pipe on and off the car 3 times. to get at the pipe, i had to remove the radiator, and for convenience, i also removed the MAS and the intake pipe. also, heat shields, oil dipstick tube, and a bunch of other odds and ends. i also just installed ss brake lines. put the battery in the trunk, installed recaro seats, replaced the factory "mouse" belts with older fixed type, i have pulled the dash, rear diff, changed the engine, brakes a couple of times, you get the picture. recently one of the galantvr4 board members had a valve job done, when it was all said and done, he paid almost 2 grand, AND THEN had to redo the timing belt. the car can outperform most of the cars on the road today, but at a price.

Well the car has been maintained and it has new brakes, new axles, new clutch, upgraded tranny, all synthetic fluids and some new oil lines. The guy that did all the work is a service manager at mitsu so he knows what he is doing. I also have a friend that works on my car now so...it should be ok

stuVr4
    i bought my 92 galant vr4 w/ 150k miles on it for $4900 but it needed a $600 computer! so buy it man!