The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Better looking tail lights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

Better looking tail lights?

I'm in the market for some replacement tail lights.
    They don't need to be lexus lookalikes, but they definitely need to look better than the originals.

Are there any available?

If there aren't any, I'm making my own from a set of spare tail lights I got at my garage. Gonna fit components from the Hella "Tuning" range in the stock housing. But that involves a lot of aluminum machining and fibreglass work, which is really all too time-consuming for my taste, hehehe... So it would be a lot better for me if someone out there is making custom lights for our cars

How about it?
    You guys know of anyone?
    US, Canadian, British, Ugandian or Japanese manufacturer - I couldn't care less, as long as they're willing to export.

Jan Kenneth Steinsåker
    Norway
    --- Hell Hath No Fury Like My 4G63 ---

www.silvergalant.com

J apmetal
    I dont think we're caterd for at all in the rear light department The only real alternative option is to hunt down a set of smoked-out VR4 rear lamps/boot plinth, but even that doesnt look much different to stock.

I'm currently on the lookout for a pair of rear lamps/boot plinth to do my own custom conversion for my hatchback

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont think we're caterd for at all in the rear light department The only real alternative option is to hunt down a set of smoked-out VR4 rear lamps/boot plinth, but even that doesnt look much different to stock.

I'm currently on the lookout for a pair of rear lamps/boot plinth to do my own custom conversion for my hatchback</div>

Too bad....
    But I guess that just means Hella will be shipping me some component lights as soon as I can afford them!!
    If it doesn't take too long to make the first pair, I might start a small-scale production.
    Since the machining of the aluminum is CNC automated once the drawings are entered into the computer, the only real job on making more lights is the fibreglass part. And I'm experienced in working with fibreglass, so you never know. It might prove to be real easy...

I'll put some pics on this forum once the lights are finished, but that might be a while. And I haven't got the faintest idea on how I would charge a buyer in the U.S., sending cash by mail is certainly not an option...
    Some good advice on that would be appreciated if anyone over there wants to buy them.

Jan Kenneth Steinsåker
    Norway

www.silvergalant.com

J apmetal
    As for the shipment/payment to the US, I've not really got a clue since I live in the UK

As for the rest, I'll await your finished 'product' with baited breath

Painted

Another idea came to mind... every G has a metal plate under the hood, stating (among other data) the color code.
    If I do a small series of them then potential buyers could just give me their paint code and I'd deliver them pre-painted, ready for mounting...

Anyway, I guess I wont have to bother with thinking about such details until I've got a nice set of customs on my own car

JK - Norway

www.silvergalant.com

orangbaligila

Re: Painted

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pro_sniper)</div><div class='quotemain'>Another idea came to mind... every G has a metal plate under the hood, stating (among other data) the color code. Â*
    If I do a small series of them then potential buyers could just give me their paint code and I'd deliver them pre-painted, ready for mounting...

Anyway, I guess I wont have to bother with thinking about such details until I've got a nice set of customs on my own car Â* Â*

JK - Norway</div>

keep us informed bro,...
    oh btw, you can try to source an R32 or R33 Skyline rear-lights (with the housing) some ppl have them installed in their 6Gs over here, sweet.. (if you can source them with good affordable price, hehe...)

mhessick

Looking for Tailights?

I am having trouble finding clear tails for my '93.

I would definatly be interested if you could cook something up on small production.

keep me informed, if you find someone offering, maybe we can do group buy on them.

J apmetal
    Do you drive a hatch or a saloon ?

I'm working on a set of smoked/tinted rears for my hatch, and although I wont be going into 'production' I'd be happy to discuss the process behind customising them once they're done !!

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm working on a set of smoked/tinted rears for my hatch, </div>

Are/have you considered removing any of ghastly huge orange reflector across the back of the hatch? (with the big word Galant inside it)

be interesting to know if anyone has already done this, as the sedans dont seem to have them

mhessick
    hatch or saloon?

my '93 es has 4 doors and a hard top, with a trunk. it's not a hatchback. It's looks like a regular sedan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhessick)</div><div class='quotemain'>hatch or saloon?

my '93 es has 4 doors and a hard top, with a trunk. Â*it's not a hatchback. Â*It's looks like a regular sedan.</div>

<span style='color:blue'>For British readers:
    Oh my!
    Being neither British nor American (as Norwegian is my mother tounge), yet being capable of writing impeccable English most of the time, I feel obliged to inform you chaps that what is referred to as a "Saloon" in Her Majesty's Great Britain, is comparable to what Americans know as a "Sedan". Can't expect the Yanks to know everything now, can we?</span>

<span style='color:red'>For American readers:
    Jeeeeeeez, dawg!!
    I sure ain't no limey, hell I ain't even no American, but goddamn! Even I know that a "Saloon" and a "Sedan" are the same friggin' thing. If those pudding-munching, rain-soaked brits were able to see past the fog that's keepin'em blocked off from the rest of the world, they might actually get around to using a normal vocabulary. Next thing you know, they'll claim Vauxhall is just another name for Opel. WTF?</span>

......In other news tonight, a rebel group led by an individual known only as "pro_sniper" is being hunted down in a joint effort involving both British SAS and American SOG counterterrorism tactical teams, after the group made an attempt on destabilizing bilateral relations between the UK and the USA by posting threats cleverly disguised as jokes on an Internet-based forum run by the rebel group, which is known only as "TGC".
    The CIA is now admitting that they've been aware of this group for several weeks, but an anonymous CIA senior staff member made this comment:"We did not deem them an actual threat to global security until very recently".
    Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain refused to comment, but insisted that an operation to eliminate the TGC group is NOT underway. However, a technical staff member at the CIA earlier tonight released a tape recording of the Prime Minister, recorded in his office at No. 10 Downing Street.
    Mr Blair was stated as having said "Lisa, give the boys at Hereford a ring, will you darling? Let's see how we're doing on that TGC situation. And come back when you're done and give me a backrub eeerrrrrrr UPDATE. A strategic UPDATE!"
    The White House declined to comment on the released tape, but sources in the administration say the President was "[...]thoroughly pissed when he realized the bug in the lower part of the lamp on Mr Blair's desk at No. 10 Downing Street had been compromised", and also said the President asked "How in Arizona's deepest darkest desert are we supposed to know what to tell the media now that we can't rip my speaches off of him? I don't even like Arizona! Is Blair in Arizona? Where is Arizona? Is England in Arizona? Is Arizona in England? Is that a country anyway?? They got oil there? Where's my six-shooter, I'll go nail that som'bitch on my goddamn own!"

This just in, a source at the Chester A. Arthur elementary school in New York, N.Y., which was by the way rigged with maple syrup and NOT liquid explosives in the hit movie "Die Hard with a Vengeance" starring Bruce Willis, has now CONFIRMED that the postings on TGC's Internet-based forum were only intended as being humorous. Furthermore, the real liquid explosives were on the boat that exploded at the end of the movie. The gold however, was not on the boat, but had been exchanged.... oh, nevermind.
    OK, moving on, there are now fresh reports from Britain that Prime Minister Tony Blair has been taken away from No. 10 Downing Street by British police, after breaking one of the building's windows with the lower part of a lamp he had retrieved from his desk only moments before breaking the window with it. Sadly, the lamp hit the windshield of a passing 2004 Mitsubishi Galant.
    A policeman on duty at No. 10 Downing Street at the time was heard yelling "Blimey!! Bleedin'hell!! He did THAT to a new G? That twat's in for a world of pain, PM or no PM!!! And I'll tell his mum, too!! Tony?? I'm with the TGC you know, you better watch out Tony, you twocer!"
    <span style='color:green'>- - - Ladies and gentlemen, we're interrupting this program for an urgent message from the White House. Here is George W. Bush in a live broadcast.</span>
    .....Good evening, fellow Americans, people of the greatest nation in the US. Tonight, we have seen the terrifying result of a single group's activities on american soil... what? What's that? Oh, OK. Well, as it turns out, the TGC have been wrongfully accused of hideous crimes, worse than some of the things I did back in High School. What's that Condi, something's wrong with you back there, makin' those funny faces and all? What do you mean "live"? Darn, oh darn, OK.
    Anyhew, I've been gettin' me some Delta teams and that sorta thing, and I've decided to clean house. We're declaring war on that terrorist-haven country of Arizona. Yup, that's right - make no mistake about it - we're going for the big one. Tony Blair here we come, we're comin' to get ya, so you best get back under a rock or something cause this train just ain't stoppin'.
    Wait a minute Condi, I ain't done yet, let go' my arm. I said let go Condi! I'm calling mom! I'm the president goddamit, you can't carry me around like this, I ain't no oil barrel! Help! Help!.............

<span style='color:green'>We'll hopefully be right back after these short messages. Damn.</span>

And by the way people, mine is a sedansaloon!
    Jan Kenneth

www.silvergalant.com

marktheblake
    Literary Masterpiece!

I am neither British or American, and do not speak English, I always thought that a Saloon was a luxury car or a limo.

Rasko Da Gama
    Sniper m8! You could really work for PRESS!
    This is sure masterpiece!

mhessick
    I only speak 2 languages American, and bad English . . .

but I do know this :

Saloon = Cowboy Style Bar

BTW, I do know what a Japseye is . .do you?

J apmetal
    Quote Originally Posted by marktheblake
    Are/have you considered removing any of ghastly huge orange reflector across the back of the hatch? (with the big word Galant inside it)
    The general idea is to remove the orange plastic [which I also think looks hideous !] from both the lamps & the centre plinth, find somewhere willing to make copies of them in clear/smoked plastic, then fix the whole lot back together [with some tinting along the way] to give a dark smoked strip across the rear with the "Galant" lettering picked out by it's silver border, while still keeping the red below. I think this will give the whole a much better appearance, kind of like the replacement smoked lights sold for RX-7s which have a similar light/boot plinth setup.

Currently this project is at a bit of a standstill, since I dont have the money to spend on remoulding the covers [just paid out for my insurance, and have a few issues to sort before my MOT in January]

I have now just received prices for the Hella component lights. Turns out they're a lot more expensive than I thought.

A complete set of light components for left and right rear lights will cost me more than $550 from my local retailer.

I'll try and see if I can get them cheaper from Britain, as they seem to be less than half the price there.

Too bad.... I really wanted those lights. I hope I can get them cheaper from somewhere so I can go through with this....

Jan Kenneth

www.silvergalant.com

I'm thinking about a somewhat different approach....
    I mean, I can buy a set of altezzas for approx. $150. It shouldn't be too hard to mold them into the frames of the G's original tail lights. :twisted:

But I need some tips on what lights you TGC guys think could work. They can't be too big, as they need to fit within the limits that the original frames provide. Also, they have to be relatively "flat", without too many curves etc so I can fit them without too much hassle.

Some good advice on what altezzas to choose will be greatly appreciated....

www.silvergalant.com

G-lanta the VI
    So is it possible to have better tlooking tail lights for a 92' ?

3diamonds

INERESTED

I would be interested if someone came up with something different

Post pics when you get em.

BTW You should be a reporter for ministry of (DES) Information

orangbaligila
    Nissan Skyline R33 tail looks great
    with some effort it will fit,... expect some welding and repaint involved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast