The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Strut Nut not tightening!!

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    BlueESV6

Strut Nut not tightening!!

My passanger side strut was making a rattling noise when going over bumps and I remembered the mechanic saying the top nut was loose before he replaced that strut. Well it's loose again and would not tighten down?! The strut shaft did not seem to be turning while I attempted to tighten the nut. Could the nut be stripped out?? How can I tighten this? (I can't take it back to the shop where I had the struts installed)

Thanks

look at the nut, and the bolt that the nut goes onto. check the threads see if they are damaged.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

BlueESV6
    Took my car to an "alternate" shop...

The strut nut or strut shaft was stripped!! :shock:

The part is on order complements of the warranty!

Should be fixed next week.

BlueESV6
    Finally got it fixed. They did not call me when the part came in (backorder) and wanted to charge me for "labor" on alignment AND install. I talked them down to labor for install ($35) only!

Took 3 hours as they almost were unable to get the nut off the strut (would of had to order a new top plate?). Guy finally got the nut off and swapped out the bad strut.

Drove it home and noticed the difference right away. The shop manager all but admitted the other shop had to have cross threaded the strut! Glad it fixed and in working order....

Caveat-The spring was not seated properly on the bottom perch :shock: but was able to resolve with a large hammer and a 2x4

All good now (hurray)

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    feels good, dont it?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd