The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PLASTIC MESH INSTALL (easy instructions with pix)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 45
    Thank's guys for that hint....that's a great idea...

tried it with the plastic type....but it's hard to put in place and tends to get wavy ....maye i'll look for those in aluminum....

here is the result.....

....I've painted them Gold

ciaoooo!
    Sly
    I don't pop it open for strangers...my hood of course ;)

Experienced TGC Member

installed top and lower grille

still need to put lower mesh kit i had to cut the bars and everything..

sounds good to meh ima try dis out today...hope i don't fuck up......
    R.I.P. My fellow Galant owner. May God be with you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by The 99 Galant
    get plastic binding body filler...i got the guy at the shop to do it for me....but you can do it yourself...just treat it like any normal body piece just make sure the filler adheres to plastic. I think the guy said it took a couple sandings to get it down to the right smoothness....i actually just got it on the car...i wish i had a digital camera i'd show you guys...i need a way though to secure the wire on the grill....it sticks in place but it wants to push in....anyways, he filled it primed it and then painted it. I have a black car so he painted it black...i'd say go black with whatever car you have and get black mesh for it
    Does anyone know what type of body filler will works well for plastic? The closet thing I heard of was Duramix, but the shop recomended against it. Is there anything else besides that and Bondo?

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGO_ONE
    Does anyone know what type of body filler will works well for plastic? The closet thing I heard of was Duramix, but the shop recomended against it. Is there anything else besides that and Bondo?
    The way i did it was i took my bumper off and filled in the area with fiberglass mat from the back. Then smooth it out in the front with glazing putty. I use a putty called "metal glaze" (although you can use it on virtually any material). Bondo is too brittle and hard, and will crack and fall off as your bumper flexes. The glazing putty is more flexible.

Need some paint or bodywork done in Chicagoland or NW Indiana???.. http://www.alsautobodyexperts.com/

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    here's what i did.

i let the wire mesh stick out so i don't have to fill the cuttings. then just screwed the mesh so it's sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    here's what i did.

i let the wire mesh stick out so i don't have to fill the cuttings. then just screwed the mesh so it's sturdy.
    sorry for being off topic, but how did you paint your inner grill (between the head lights) to be black? did you use spray or brush? do you have to cover the silver parts? thanks

You can also cover those fins wit black vynl.

Quote Originally Posted by deejunx
    sorry for being off topic, but how did you paint your inner grill (between the head lights) to be black? did you use spray or brush? do you have to cover the silver parts? thanks

gotta just have lots of patience taping!! not that hard.. but the mesh mode, better get wire mesh and let it sit out to cover the holes just like what i did..

do you have to go to the dealership and try to get paint thats the right color, or am i missing somthing? how do you make it so the grooves you cut out match and dont look like shit?

i have got to try this :)

wiil this tutorial work for the 7g i want to put mesh in the air dams on the bottom

yes it will work..
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

I will be trying this with my 9g today, cross your fingers guys.
    The New Guy On The Board.

gotta just have lots of patience taping!! not that hard.. but the mesh mode, better get wire mesh and let it sit out to cover the holes just like what i did..
    what would u recommend for the grille fins, flat black or gloss black?

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

Quote Originally Posted by cdipier2

what would u recommend for the grille fins, flat black or gloss black?
    my first choice was glossy kind.. but i didn't really feel that.. so best bet is flat... atleast when it fades, it don't look too bad..

"gettto mesh" thanx alot 4 the tutorial [img][/img]

i'd say stick em out. have em molded to the grill and lower part of bumper. might look better. also paint them please.

I'm doing this I'm almost done Il post some pics soon!
    -_InStAlLiNg ThAt CyBeR kIt, PiCs Up SoOn!_-

i will finish it

I was wondering if I should paint it in the same color of the car or I should go on black 8) what do u think milo I don't wanna copy u :twisted:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast