The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: performance muffler

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

performance muffler

just a question... If I add a free flow muffler to my 93' 2.0 SOHC galant, what kinda power gain am I lookin at. At the same time, if I redo the exhaust from the header back with 2.5" piping and a new muffler... what kinda power gain do u think I'm lookin at. (I know how to do that, so the actual parts drafting wont be a problem, I just wanna know if its worth the time) Thanks.

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)

orangbaligila

Re: performance muffler

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rollingwithdubz)</div><div class='quotemain'>just a question... If I add a free flow muffler to my 93' 2.0 SOHC galant, what kinda power gain am I lookin at. Â*At the same time, if I redo the exhaust from the header back with 2.5" piping and a new muffler... what kinda power gain do u think I'm lookin at. Â*(I know how to do that, so the actual parts drafting wont be a problem, I just wanna know if its worth the time) Â*Thanks.</div>

hi there,..
    i don't know how much HP gain you'll get by that mod,.. but from my experience (and considering yours is SOHC, so the effect should be less than DOHC engines) exhaust modification alone, without extra inhaling capability will not add horsepower,.. well, maybe a small amount in higher RPM, but it won't be that much..

like i said i don't know about the statistics,.. but you're doing the right exhaust mods (my advice, don't go over 2,5 in size for your SOHC N/A)
    but it'll be better if you upgrade the intake side and ignition as well,.. (i did this part first before moving to the exhaust)

cheers

ken inn
    2.5" ? hmmm. i have that on my vr4. i also have a big 16g @ 18 lbs boost, hks cams, big fmic and pipes, 2g mas/560's, water injection. a similar equipped talon was dynoed at 323hp/338tq at the wheels(automotorsports cam test), but it had a 3" exh. while a bigger exhaust will MARGINALLY increase power, it only works to a certain size, from then on it is wasted space.

I already have a short air intake, and I just put in new ignition wires... would a 2.5" system be worth it then?

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)

1312VR4
    No. 2.25 is about all I would go on your application. If you go any bigger you risk the loss of backpressure. Which inturn destroy's low end power, gas mileage can actually decrease also, with absolutely no gain in HP or TQ.