The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BTYO intake question

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    RollinBishiStyle

BTYO intake question

Ok, i just flipped my intake upside down, my question is isnt the intake a little to close to the hood. It looks like its up against it. Wouldnt that restrick the air because when i just drove it for the first time the first 2 times i stopped my car stalled. Its come close but hasnt stalled since then. Did i do something wrong or should i tighten my throttle cable a little. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

VIO
    i4 or v6? the i4 is a bit trickier. you have to manipulate it a bit before it fits correctly or it will hit the hood but it shouldn't restrict air flow. it just kept pushing my filter out of place until i got it to fit right.

Experienced TGC Member
    I did the same thing to my car with my V6. And I would THOUROUGHLY suggest you DO NOT do this. Right my car is at the mechanics, and Im going to have to pay like 800$ to fix it. My mechanic said that it could have been caused by my intake mod (the same on as yours). But if your going to do it, I suggest you flip it so the filter is facing the ground. That way it will catch more air.

what was wrong with ur car

VIO
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>I did the same thing to my car with my V6. Â*And I would THOUROUGHLY suggest you DO NOT do this. Â*Right my car is at the mechanics, and Im going to have to pay like 800$ to fix it. Â*My mechanic said that it could have been caused by my intake mod (the same on as yours). Â*But if your going to do it, I suggest you flip it so the filter is facing the ground. Â*That way it will catch more air.</div>

what exactly needs to be "fixed" or replaced? and just how did this mod supposedly cause this?

make sure that teh MAS is plugged in. sometimes people forget to plug back the MAS and make sure it is in firmly. the MAS is useless if it is not plugged in and will make the car run funny. also make sure that there isn't any dirt in the new airbox that could possibly clog up the MAS

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

RollinBishiStyle
    I think its ok, i haven thad any problems since that first time. idles at about 700 seems fine now. Thanks for everybodies help

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok people nevermind I was completly wrong. My car did not fail due to the intake. It failed due to exessive amounts of sugar clogging the fuel system. I now have no more Galant. Damages are in the 4000$ price range.

It was great fun while lasted. I thank everyone for their help. And maybe if I have enough money down the line I will buy a 10g Galant (if they look nicer than the 9gs)

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok people nevermind I was completly wrong. Â*My car did not fail due to the intake. Â*It failed due to exessive amounts of sugar clogging the fuel system. Â*I now have no more Galant. Â*Damages are in the 4000$ price range. Â*
    </div>

Dude if you ever find out who the hell did that to your car let us know. We'll have some major skulls to bash.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Elwenil
    Ok, that's it. I'm going out right now and buy a locking gas cap. At least my hood release is on the inside. I had an old Dodge Ramcharger years ago and had just built a new engine, and some jackazz put little nuts down my carburator. Can you believe that? Little nuts, like off of bolts that would just barely fit past the butterflies in the carb, and you can imagine what it did to my valves and pistons. At first I thought I had dropped something in when I built the engine, but it ran for about 4500 miles and the nuts weren't off anything I've ever seen. Some people are a waste of oxygen. Sorry for the loss, Jet BLaK, I sorta know how you feel.
    Later...

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elwenil)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, that's it. Â*I'm going out right now and buy a locking gas cap. Â*At least my hood release is on the inside. Â*I had an old Dodge Ramcharger years ago and had just built a new engine, and some jackazz put little nuts down my carburator. Â*Can you believe that? Â*Little nuts, like off of bolts that would just barely fit past the butterflies in the carb, and you can imagine what it did to my valves and pistons. Â*At first I thought I had dropped something in when I built the engine, but it ran for about 4500 miles and the nuts weren't off anything I've ever seen. Â*Some people are a waste of oxygen. Â*Sorry for the loss, Jet BLaK, I sorta know how you feel.
    Later...</div>

Man I cant imagine what people are thinking when they do this shit. I wouldnt have minded half as much if it was my exterior. But not the engine. Either way I have no car, and the wheels of the insurance company are going to roll really slow. That is if they pay up.

Thanks to everyone on these boards for their tremedous support.

Elwenil
    Hmmm... Insurance... Here's a thought, if the insurance does come through, insist that it be fixed by a Mitsubishi dealer, and get a quote for the parts and labor. If they want to go cheap on you, tell them that you have every right to have your car back the way it was with Mitsu factory parts, etc. Tell them you have an extended warranty or something and it will void it if you use cheap parts store parts. Then when they cough up the check, replace what you need to replace, but use the money to upgrade some of the stuff. Can you say fuel rails, injectors, etc.? I dunno if this tuning aspect is where you were going with your Galant, but it could be the silver lining if you know what I mean. Oh, and unless you are going to have the car fixed back to stock (which isn't bad) don't have fixed at the dealer. Yes, it's true that the dealer is the best place to have your Mitsu worked on, but the labor rates at most dealers are way up there. Check around and look for a reputable shop in your area that can do the work you want done, but at a cheaper cost. Get estimates and quotes in writing before choosing a shop. I say this because you can sometimes save some money that can be used for Mods or for your deductible. Remember when dealing with insurance companies, don't always take their estimate. Sometimes they can screw you. You paid good $$$ for the insurance, and now it's their turn. Get the highest estimate you can find, and fight for it, then find the best deal to get it fixed. Sometimes a little yellow pages searching and a little foot work can go a long way. I hope they pay up for you, Jet BLak, but remember, they charge you a lot of money, because they like money, and they don't really like to give it up. Sometimes you have to argue a bit, and mention lawyers and stuff before they back down. Do you get the idea that I don't like insurance companies? I don't. I think they are really close to nothing but legal fraud. Which makes the term "insurance fraud" almost an oxymoron. Ok, I'm done venting, lol...
    Later...

VIO
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elwenil)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sometimes you have to argue a bit, and mention lawyers and stuff before they back down.</div>

you cannot mention lawyers. if you mention a lawyer when speaking to the insurance company they will not deal with you and they will have their legal department contact you. this happens the moment you mention the word lawyer. i've seen it happen a few times. with good negotiating skills you can get the money from them without having to resort to lawyers. if you threaten them with lawyers you damn well better be willing to back that up or you're fucked because they will get their involved. just be firm, speak intelligibly, and don't be afraid of them. you paid them money in good faith and now they need to keep their end of the agreement. other then that everything elwenil said is golden.