The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: mpi dead

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    blackcar28

mpi dead

have 1992 galant sohc problem is mpi is dead have no current to the injectors or fuel pump if u thank that i have a relay problem please tell me where it is located.thanks :oops:

ken inn
    on the vr4, it is in the passenger kick panel. probably the same on all galants, also in the same area is the mfi relay. if the ecu cuts power to the mfi, it aint gonna run. if the caps are bad in the ecu, and they all are, eventually it shorts out the ecu, and you get no power anywhere. there have also been several cases where the isc shorts out, and blows the mfi relay, and sometimes the ecu. however, i would first start with the ecu. if the starter turns over, but the car will not start, i would bet the ecu caps have leaked out. if you can remove the ecu and you are lucky, you can just change out the caps, clean the boards, and everything will work. if not, a new ecu is 1100 for a vr4. a used one is probably also bad. one way to tell the ecu is about to die is you will hear a lot of clicking coming from where the ecu is, it will be the mfi relay restarting because the caps are supplying inermittent power to the ecu, and it is resetting itself.

J-Roc
    Very useful information Ken Inn! Can it be safe to say that alot of things can go wrong because of a faulty ECU?

Rasko Da Gama
    Does anybody have a picture of ECU "CAPS"... I read often that these have to be changed, but I don't really know what they look like and what is their function.

Kenn-Inn? :?:

ken inn
    here is the vfaq page for our cars. look under electrical, it is the very first article. i dont know what applies to your car, this is all for usa cars. also, i think the link to digikey is not good any more.

http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html

kenjan
    A more direct link to the cap replacement page here. The direct order placement no longer work, but u can go to digi key website and type in the part number as shown on the faq page. just placed an order on Oct 9th and they still carry those caps

Rasko Da Gama
    About the caps. Is it important that they are from Digi-Key or doesn't it matter if I get caps in nearest store - ofcourse with the same spec (MicroFarads and Voltage)?