The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is a 6G GSX & VR4 the same?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Mitsufied

Is a 6G GSX & VR4 the same?

Guyz,

I'm a 1995 7G owner, but I would like to know if the 6G GSX and the VR4 are the same car.

Please help.

B176969
    as far as i know i think the VR-4 is turbo'ed and the gsx is all wheel drive with turbo? i think but i am not sure or it could be the other way around

the 6th gen. GSX was a AWD NON-turbo version. It used the DOHC 4G63 but just not turbo'd.

The VR4 was AWD DOHC 4G63 with a turbo, a 14b Mitsu Turbo if i recall correctly.

I own a 6g vr-4 australian model. It has AWD, 4 wheel steer, 4 wheel discs, 4G63 DOHC 16 valve intercooled turbo, all electrics, climate control, 148 kW according to the release specs. The Jap model had a bigger intercooler and intake manifold, and is 178kW, as well as other cosmetic differences.
    The aussie release GSR has 4G63 DOHC 16 valve, and was released as a hatchback only (102kW). I am unsure if it is AWD though.
    There was also the SE model, which had the 4G63 SOHC in it (77kW).

Note: this is the au GSR, which may be totally different to the GSX which you guys are speaking of... and info is taken form the owners manual.

here is a link to an article printed in Aussie paper about purchasing a used vr4
    http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/re...FX1G1UF7YC.html

tomic
    The GSR is fwd. As stated by EVO, it is a 4g63/dohc non-turbo at 102kw.
    -tomic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomic)</div><div class='quotemain'>The GSR is fwd. As stated by EVO, it is a 4g63/dohc non-turbo at 102kw.
    -tomic</div>

Thats overseas. In the United States there was a GSX model that was AWD but NON-turbo.

Thats overseas. In the United States there was a GSX model that was AWD but NON-turbo.[/quote]

do you guys (USA) also have the GSR, or is that an Australian only release??
    They are the most common galants that I see around locally. Also, is the GSX a hatchback?? as all the GSR are...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evo)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thats overseas. Â*In the United States there was a GSX model that was AWD but NON-turbo.</div>

They are the most common galants that I see around locally. Also, is the GSX a hatchback?? as all the GSR are...</div>

We never got the GSR, thats probably an Aussie only model. And the GSX in the states is a sedan, not a hatchback. We have never had the hatchback here in the states no matter what generation galant.

EVILGSX
    I own a GSX AWD 4g63 5speed with 4 wheel disc brakes.
    If any body hase a GSX i have a 1990 model and I need a model number on the ecu it starts with MD, I need to get a replacement and I cant get to my car to get the number my self. if anybody noes it please let me know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EVILGSX)</div><div class='quotemain'>I own a GSX AWD 4g63 5speed with 4 wheel disc brakes.
    If any body hase a GSX i have a 1990 model and I need a model number on the ecu it starts with MD, I need to get a replacement and I cant get to my car to get the number my self. if anybody noes it please let me know.</div>

Contact me on the 26th of this month, I should be able to tell you...Plus you may be my contact for a gsx as I will be an owner of one. 90 gsx, white...

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by evo
    Thats overseas. In the United States there was a GSX model that was AWD but NON-turbo.
    They are the most common galants that I see around locally. Also, is the GSX a hatchback?? as all the GSR are...
    We never got the GSR, thats probably an Aussie only model. And the GSX in the states is a sedan, not a hatchback. We have never had the hatchback here in the states no matter what generation galant.[/quote]

Actually, there was a GSR model of the Galant here in the US. I use to work for Mitsu, but I don't know what years exactly it was that trim level. It's just a non-turbo FWD. I don't know what other options were available.
    Jason V.
    [b]<span style='color:red'>EVOL-ART / Evolution Artisan Tuning</span>
    If you want to fight the power, get the power to fight!
    <span style='color:blue'>C53A '89 Plymouth Colt GT Turbo 4G61T
    E38A '90 Mitsubishi Galant GSX 4G63T
    E39A '91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 1823/2000
    D27A '90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 4G63T</span>

ken inn
    besides the turbo, the gsx trans and rear diff have different ratios, and they are not as strong as the vr4. gsx has no rear wheel steering. of course, the motor does not have oil squirters for the pistons, the fuel pump assembly is different. vr4 suspension uses heavier duty struts and springs. on usa cars, all vr4's had black leather.