The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MAS Question

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

MAS Question

ok, ok ,ok........
    i got a dreamspeed intake and i love it. but i had a thought today in math class. to take off that black plastic screen on the mas for a little more air flow. so my question is, is that going to hurt anything or mess with emsions.
    thanxs guys
    2002 Silver Galant

"If a man yells in the Woods, But there is no women around to hear him, Is he still wrong?"

A question that has plauged man for ages.

i'm assuming you mean the honeycomb? forget it. that is a very bad idea. that honeycomb smooths the vortecies of the airflow for the sensor element to get a proper reading. removing the honey comb will cause all kinds of troubles from rough idle to inconsistent throttle response and will probably throw SES codes as well.

Senior TGC Member
    If you're unlucky it may throw a code because it might have trouble metering proper air/fuel. I think removing the honeycomb is actually worse for performance though, because it either straightens out the airflow or makes for turbulence, I forget which it is but our cars need one of them. Sorry if I confused you any :?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

thankx

thanks you guys... thats y i asked so now i no.... leave it there
    2002 Silver Galant

"If a man yells in the Woods, But there is no women around to hear him, Is he still wrong?"

DONT touch it.

it is NOT a restriction, and it WILL cause problems if you remove it.

VIO
    i tried removing it a couple of months ago as i was curious to see exactly what would happen. at first the car runs fine but after about 20 minutes of driving the idle starts to fluctuate and the car will eventually die. i put it right back on and it ran fine. bottom line, don't do it.

i hate this damn class

this is cool that so many people are willing to help me. like i said i do understand some things about cars, but things like that im clueless,
    THANKS
    2002 Silver Galant

it straightens out the airflow heading into your engine. This is not necessarily there for power, but also so the MAF can read the amount of air flowing into your engine. If you mess with it, the ECU will have to guess at how much fuel to inject, and your car will idle rough, die, and have huige power losses.