The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: strut/shock/coilover ?? from law195

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    akiraflux

strut/shock/coilover ?? from law195

i tried to edit MY post and somehow the whole thread got deleted....????

anywho. here.

shocks and struts are not the same.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong on this...

older cars typically used shocks instead of struts.

they have a sort of hydaulic pin in them to keep the car from clanging against the body when hitting a bump or something. so logically shocks will take a lot more pressure on them whereas struts rely on the springs to dampen most of the downforce and the strut takes the rest.

coilovers are only springs with a control device on them that lets you adjust the ride height.

real ground controls are struts with the adjustable springs on them. much more expensive because it includes both the strut and the spring.

found some more indepth stuff

Coilovers are a complete suspension system where the springs are matched perfectly to the dampening system [shock absorbers/struts]. Sometimes coilovers are also adjustable, both in terms of height and stiffness, whereas normal springs and shocks are not.

-------------------

In the front, we have a spring and a strut on either side. In simple terms, how much pressure it takes to move your wheel up and down is controlled by the spring, how quickly it moves up and down is controlled by the strut.

--------------------

Some cars have all 4 struts (like ours) while others have 2 struts on each wheel in front and shocks on the back. for galant purposes you don't need to bother with shocks. but both basically do the same thing...keep the chasis from moving too much during a bounce in the car.

the strut is the whole suspension setup. the housing, the hub to the wheel, the shock (strut insert) the spring all of it.

the shock is just the shock

the strut has a shock in the middle but depends on who you are talking to and how they want to use it but the old cars had the shock and the spring totally separate and away from each other

Question for you. Is it okay to use the 3g eclipse setup for the AGX shocks/strut combo group buy at club3g? Will it work fine or is there another combination that works only for Galants?
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

akiraflux
    everybody on here seems to say our suspension setup is the same for galants as it is for the new eclipses. i'm pretty sure theres quite a few people who have eclipse struts as they have a lot of GB's over on club3g.

Elwenil
    Quote Originally Posted by akiraflux
    everybody on here seems to say our suspension setup is the same for galants as it is for the new eclipses. i'm pretty sure theres quite a few people who have eclipse struts as they have a lot of GB's over on club3g.
    So am I correct in assuming that if I ordered, say, a Tein suspension kit for a 2000+ Eclipse it will fit my 2002 Galant? Or is it just the struts that are the same? I want a good adjustable coil over set up, but can't seem to find that many for the G except for a JIC kit. Any idea guys?

Also, you are mostly correct on the shock thing above, Akiraflux, except that shocks do the same as struts do, except for the type of spring used in the application. Shocks are used with leaf springs, torsion bars, and with standard coil springs. Struts, originally known as MacPherson (SP?) Struts do the same job as a normal shock/spring combo except that struts also mount the spindle to the car, and allow for it to pivot through the steering range. This eliminates the whole upper control arm and ball joint assembly in the process. Hope this helps.
    Later...

Quote Originally Posted by Elwenil
    So am I correct in assuming that if I ordered, say, a Tein suspension kit for a 2000+ Eclipse it will fit my 2002 Galant? Or is it just the struts that are the same? I want a good adjustable coil over set up, but can't seem to find that many for the G except for a JIC kit. Any idea guys?
    Later...
    the JIC kit is the top of the line right now and is actually designed for the 3G... but it fits our cars and can b adjusted to suit the 8G... b prepared for a $2000 minimum outlay and some tuning time by proffessionals only since these are pretty much the most adjustable race coilover kit available (even the shock body length is adjustable!) and the sweet spot is not easily found by novices. the TEIN kit will fit as well but does not have the same degree of adjustment as the JIC set.

as a side note... i don't think anybody has made an application specifically for the 8G for anything other than springs. everybody here w/ aftermarket adjustable shocks/struts have units designed for the 3G.

Elwenil
    Thanks Reelax, I'm really leaning toward the JIC kit even though it's pricey. I found the kit for about $1600, but I'm not sure what other parts it might need or if that is complete. The level of adjustability is exactly what I'm looking for as I would like keep it adjustable for a future bady kit, and to do a little autocrossing later on. I know, I'd look silly autocrossing with a whole body kit, but for me it's the best of both worlds. I doubt that I qualify as a pro suspension tuner or anything, but I have had a lot of experience modifying older suspensions, and if I can get a 72 Charger to out handle a lot of the newer cars, I think I'd have fun with it. Thanks again.
    Later...

Elwenil
    Awwe geez, see now I went and edited my post for nothing, lol.

Re: strut/shock/coilover ?? from law195

i tried to edit MY post and somehow the whole thread got deleted....????

anywho. here.

shocks and struts are not the same.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong on this...
    ok so i qualify as somebody right? please don't take this personally because i'm just doing what you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by [url='http://users.bestweb.net/~meineke/shocks1.htm'
    http://users.bestweb.net/~meineke/shocks1.htm[/url]]The Difference Between A Shock And Strut

Shock absorbers and struts are quite similar in some ways. They both dampen the bounce of the tire and stabilize the vehicle.

McPherson Struts, however, are an integral part of the front and/or rear suspension of the vehicle. The strut assembly provides the upper suspension and wheel turning support. It is an integral part of the suspension geometry and directly affects the vehicle tracking.

Shock absorbers are installed inside or near the coil spring, leaf spring or torsion bar. They are not an integral part of the suspension system and as such do not affect vehicle alignment. Also, if broken will not keep the vehicle from being driven.

A broken McPherson strut may keep the vehicle from being driven because of the potential loss of steering control.

Struts are much more expensive than shocks because they are more a part of the vehicle and take the place of many components that must be used in the conventional front suspension.