The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Street testing my intake mod

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Senior TGC Member

Street testing my intake mod

Finally completed the second phase of my research. I borrowed some home dyno and other equipment along with some help from a friendly LS1 "club" member in my MIS class that he uses to test out his own car (and it's amazingly simple and cheap too...maybe I don't need to pay 60 bucks anymore for a dyno).

Without Inlet:
    On the street the intake benefits from the freer flowing air, regardless of engine compartment temps. The intake air was measured at 78 degrees at the MAS at the coolest, and it the dyno reading it gave us was a max hp of 148 whp and 153 wtq, while still preserving the top end some of you who looked at my dynosheets saw. Our measured 0-60 time was 8.1 seconds, and the quartermile (I think estimated by the computer from my wheel rotation) was quoted to us as 16.2 @ 89 mph.

With Inlet:
    We pushed the duct back on to do the second portion of the test. The intake air was measured at 77 degrees at the MAS (not much difference surprisingly) at the coolest temp, the dyno was 141 whp and 156 wtq max values, but the high end of the power curve still dropped sharply when we plotted it. I think it's fair to say it's the major restriction once you get in the higher RPM ranges. Our measured 0-60 time was still 8.1 seconds though, and the quartermile was estimated at 16.4 @ 87 mph.

Without Inlet vs Other Cars:
    You already have the values for my car, so it's fairly logical to say that my car vs itself the run without inlet would probably win. So, we pitted my car against my neighbor's LS V6 first. I raced him twice driving my car, both times winning, then raced him two more times in his car, both times losing. I'm not sure how far we pushed it, but in the end my car usually had about half a car to a full car length. The last car I ran against was a Fed spec GTZ courtesy of a helpful owner that was going in for an oil change anyway so he ran against me before he went in. Despite the GTZ's heavier weight my car still lost by a good 1 and a half car distance the first time, and 2 car lengths the second time :cry: Bummer. At least I can tie a new BMW 325i autotranny.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

00GTZ00
    Wow some good info their peter. What program were you using with the owner of the LS1, to measur your 1/4 mile 0-60 etc? (and what is the guys name on LS1.com I might know him) and if this is only $60 I think that i might get just to get an idea of what my car can do.

I have to addmit that after you started talking about removing that funnel on your car I did the same thing. LOL and I did notice a little gain on the top end.

The GTZ that you raced. was it a 99 or 2000? just wondering. and I am assuming that he was all stock

Senior TGC Member
    His name is Arnold Palmer (no joke), he drives a 2000 Camaro SS. For the quarter mile I'm not sure what program he used, but it used information we plugged in to estimate the time and speed, and for the 0-60 I think he used a G-tech. For the dyno numbers we used a program called "Home Dyno" I think, something like that. Maybe it was "Street Dyno." I dunno, he downloaded it from a Saturn website. Supposedly not the most accurate things in the world, but for all intents and purposes I think it's close enough. In the end we're just looking for relative numbers anyway, it doesn't really matter at this point if we can dig up the correct numbers. I'm not sure which year the GTZ was, I didn't ask. We met when I was fueling up; I saw the GTZ and that's when it hit me that I wanted to race it, so I asked if I could look under the hood to check for Fed or Cali. She was nice about it, wasn't too suspicious or anything. The only reason I don't like the flipbox mod is because I think the filter sits too close to the hood. Hood up dynoing it might be the best, but with the hood down I dunno about its effectiveness, so I did the next best thing.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Supernova
    Could you liek me to a post or tell me about what your really did. What is this inlet?

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supernova)</div><div class='quotemain'>Could you liek me to a post or tell me about what your really did. Â*What is this inlet?</div>

The inlet I'm talking about is the funnel shaped thing that sits on top of the radiator and behind the fan. It connects to the factory airbox.

im assuming ur a modded i4 since stock v6 dyno at 150+whp?
    its late at night and my brain isnt agreeing with itself. :?

00GTZ00
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2000GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>im assuming ur a modded i4 since stock v6 dyno at 150+whp?
    its late at night and my brain isnt agreeing with itself. Â*:?</div>

No he is a cali spec V6....

Thanks for the info Peter, I think I know what programs he used ( it is a different variation of auto-tap. ) Their are a few of those programs out now that work with all ODBII cars.