The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A/C Compressor shot

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2
    polarduke

A/C Compressor shot

Wicked clicking noise. Took it to the Mitsu dealer, said the A/C compressor was gone. Had them remove the belt for now.

I bought a Compressor/Pulley from a salvage yard for 200.00, but it's hard to find someone who will only do the labor. I know I also need to buy a drier, which I will do.

The question is: using a Mitsu how-to manual, can I do this job myself? Does it require any special tools? Or should I just keep searching for a mechanic who will do the job with my parts?

Thanks!
    Jeff :(

Athreya
    Exact same problem with the G I bought a few months ago. I'm ordering my compressor from Advance auto parts. It seems the 7th gen Galants came with two types of compressors: 4-mount and 3-mount systems. I forgot to ask the service guys at the dealership which one mine had so I'll have to return for that before placing my order.
    BTW the 4 mount was cheaper and included the clutch assembly for about $375. Also bear in mind you will need to buy a new evac&dryer unit, orifice tubes, etc.
    I took it to 2 local service centers...both quoted me about $1200 for the entire parts+job with warranty. If I were to buy the parts myself and have them install I'm looking at about $800-900 but no warranty whatsoever. I guess the savings is worth it now that winter is almost upon us. Hope this info helps.

PS: any idea if it is cheaper to fix A/C systems in the winter? Just a weird idea I had lol :?: