The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuel line fix?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    brandon

Fuel line fix?

Well this post is kind of in addition to my fuel filter post in the General Posts forum, but it's turned into a car problem.

Changed my fuel filter, but while twisting the fuel filter out, twisted the fuel line shut and it ended up breaking right off... so now the tip of my fuel line is stuck in the old filter and the existing fuel line is twisted shut.

I'm thinking I can cut the existing line a bit and open it back up, buy some new fuel line, and somehow connect the two.

Is there some sort of bolt that would connect the two pipings or would I have to get a flare tool and connect them that way?

The other thing I was thinking was getting the new pipe, and then some fuel hose and just clamping down the hose onto the piping so it can flow that way.

Will there be enough pressure?

Any help is appreciated.

brandon
    So thanks to the hundreds of replies I finally discovered a solution! haha

But seriously, if this ever happens to any of you guys, the quick (relatively speaking anyway) fix was:

- Buy pipe cutter
    - Cut existing pipe so fuel line is re-opened
    - Remove the stripped fuel line from the bottom fitting (I had to hammer it out and use some pliers before it finally popped out)
    - Buy generic brake line pipe (5/16 I believe?)
    - Cut the brake line pipe w/pipe cutter to same size (or a bit bigger) than what you had stripped
    - Buy steel braided rubber fuel hose and two mini-clamps
    - Connect rubber fuel hose to existing fuel line and to brake line pipe and re-assemble.

So far no issues w/leaking or lack of pressure. Car is running fine.

Houndawg
    Use compression fittings. They sell fuel line repair kits that have a chunk of line, with the proper flair fitting on one end. It comes with a compression fitting. All you have to do is cut it to the length you want, bend it, and attatch it to the existing line (that you've already trimmed and cleaned the end of). Anybody who's ever done any plumbing knows how easy and effective compression fittings are.

brandon
    That was my other option... decided this way was easier.