Being OUTRAN

I've got 99 es v6 53.000 miles
    i've got nology wires
    ngk platinums
    injen intake
    flowmaster exhaust
    no cat
    did mas mod like tutorial said
    s-afc running -10% across the board high throttle, just trying to lean it out a little

and i'm being stomped by a 2001 es (friends car)

anyone know what I could do to figure out why????
    I have good reaction time, and all... could I be losing because of that 8g shaking problem when lowering car????

CT_GalantV6
    is the es you are being stomped on by a v6 like you or is it an I4?

Senior TGC Member
    It's your Slowmaster exhaust I actually don't know though. I'm going to bet that you are either in California or the Northeast part of the country since those are the only places that sold Cali spec Galants. There's no way a even a stock Fed spec V6 would lose to a Cali spec. Keep in mind with your A/F tuning that optimal air/fuel is not stoich, you want to keep it a tad rich at about 13.2 or so. Only way to know for sure if its your engine or if it's the lowering problem is to place your car on a dyno.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

cremeans2326
    The other car is a v6, we are in WV and OH, so don't know. Guess I'm going to pay for the new axles and hope it fixes my problem.. thanx

VIO
    Quote Originally Posted by cremeans2326
    The other car is a v6, we are in WV and OH, so don't know. Guess I'm going to pay for the new axles and hope it fixes my problem.. thanx
    i can't imagine axles will help your problem. it just sounds to me like your car needs a little tuning.

how about the weight difference? i mean a v6 running on stock 16 weighs so much lighter than lest say the same car riding on 19 inch chrome wheels.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

so true pinoy - chromes are HEAVY

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Just for the hell of it, go to a shop and do a quick compression check on each cylinder. If your running without a cylinder or 2 it would definetly do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Check the compression of each cylinder. Make sure all 6 are running solid. Running without a cylinder or 2 will definetly slow your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

cremeans2326
    That is probably a good idea...I don't know if my plugs were gapped correctly all the way around anyway, and I painted my valve cover and noticed oil had got into 1 of the plugs...I replaced the gaskets but...who knows...thanx for the input

artman20
    Pinoy's wheel weight idea could definitely be an issue, since every pound of wheel weight is the equivalent of seven pounds of static weight due to centrifical motion n stuff. Are you guys running with the same amount of gas? A gallon weighs about eight pounds- so a full tank weighs over 100 pounds more than a near empty one, the general rule of thumb is 100 pounds of weight loss is = to one tenth of a second in a quarter. I don't really have an answer, just diarehea of the mouth- :pukey:

Experienced TGC Member
    When you say stomped, how bad do you mean? And are you sure your taking off at the same time? RT has a lot to do with the outcome of a race. A general rule of thumb is 1 second = 10 car lengths. And since both of you are racing near identical vehicles, RT is probably the biggest factor on who wins/loses.

TGC Regular
    If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.
    i say drop it into first and manual shift that sled. i tried racing my brother in "D" or basically over drive, and barely lost. Then I tried manual shifting and beat him by 2 car lengths. just dont manual shift and downshift all the time. it wears out your tranny quicker

...U N D E A D...

VypA
    my first guess would be to agree with pinoyesv6 and say its a weight issue ( i dont kno what u got so this is just an example) but lets say ur ridin on chromies that weigh what 5 lbs more than stock wheels, plus maybe a system or somethin, and maybe he weighs a few pounds less. all that could easily add up to 200+ lbs and from a dead stop thats gonna make a significant difference

yea your rims probrably has alot to do with it but chances are your V6 is cali spec and your friends is fed more then likely thats the reason. But hell if you have access to having your cylinders check for compression leaks DO IT... I have happy with my power output come to find out I was losing 25% of compression in cylinder 4...wtf

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'>yea your rims probrably has alot to do with it but chances are your V6 is cali spec and your friends is fed more then likely thats the reason. Â*But hell if you have access to having your cylinders check for compression leaks DO IT... I have happy with my power output come to find out I was losing 25% of compression in cylinder 4...wtf</div>

Ya I was happy with my power output as well, only to find out a day later that their was sugar in fuel system.