The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: wheel noise

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    yippeeee

wheel noise

hey, i've got a 1990 galant GSX (awd, n/a) 5 spd, Heres the deal, When i have the wheel straight, or left a little, it makes almost like a rubbing noise- sounds almost just like loud tires, but its odd that it does it straight, and when u turn right just a little bit, the noise goes away, then if u turn right more it seems to have a loose clattery sound. Im thinking that it may be wheel bearings, what do you guys think? Could be that i need an alignment, but if its wheel bearings, and i get an alignment and it still makes noiise then im going to be disapointed... let me know what you guys think. Nick

J apmetal
    It should be easy enough to jack your car up & check for excess wheel-bearing play, but be careful not to shake so hard you knock the car off the stands when you try the wheel !

[Obviously you'll put the end in question on axle stands, rather than just jacking it up & wiggling it about, since this is very unsafe and is not recommended !]

yippeeee

update

It seems there is not excess wheel bearing movement, and the hubs turn smoothly, When i turn to the left it almost sounds like an off beat cocunut drum type sound, not really all that loud, but i can hear it, to the right it doesnt do this.. any idea's?

J apmetal
    Could it be worn bushes elsewhere in the suspension ? Lower arms, roll bars, strut mounts, etc, etc ....

Could also be wheel alignment, wheel/tyre balancing or even unevenly orn tyres or buckled rims ! Very hard to tell, as all these will give similar results when driving, but the only way to check would be to see the vehicle.

Cant think of anything else it could be

incubaby_4G63

suspension

its almost definitely suspenion bushings somewhere, my honda did the same thing, only on all four corners

_Madman_
    My car is doing same thing at 70 kmh ~40Mph, but I know that rear wheel aligment (camber) is a bit off. At service they told me that ther's nothing they could do about that as there is no way to align rear wheels on 6 gen. But I still believe it might be bearings, rather than suspension, as there is nothing going on gravy or dirt. Only on stright termac.

I know this thread is old but what about a bad cv axel

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    8th Gen Rox
    http://mynccruizer.tumblr.com/
    OBX Long Header 12" Visonik Subwoofers x2
    K&N Typhoon SRI 15" L7 Kicker Solo Baric
    3" Muffler