The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: spark plug stuff

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    mighty

spark plug stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2433990364
    what exactly will these do for me, verses the stock plugs I have now?
    I have a friend who also said if you line the plugs up, you get better firing or something like this..........how exactly do we "line" our plugs up?.....don't they just go in the motor?????
    obviously I am confused on this subject, so some help for me and others, would be appreciated.

First, only NGK plugs are recommended for the Galant. While others might work fine, they're more likely to cause problems than the NGK's. You should only need NGK platinum plugs if you have a V6 because the service interval is longer than on an I-4.

As far as lining them up, your friend probably means setting the gap on the plugs. You should ALWAYS do this with new plugs, using a gap gauge and the factory specs. The gap is measured between the electrode (the thing in the middle) and the discharge post (the metal part over the electrode). This is critical to making the plugs fire correctly.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

miragal
    Your friend is talking about plug index.(I think is the correct name)It's an old school trick.You take a felp pen and draw a line in the plug from electrode to the ceramic part.Now you can "see" in what position is the electrode in the combustion chamber.In theory if you align the electrode toward the intake valve you gain a little horsepower, but again it's a old school trick that maybe works better with low voltage ignitions of yesterday.

VIO
    Quote Originally Posted by miragal
    Your friend is talking about plug index.(I think is the correct name)It's an old school trick.You take a felp pen and draw a line in the plug from electrode to the ceramic part.Now you can "see" in what position is the electrode in the combustion chamber.In theory if you align the electrode toward the intake valve you gain a little horsepower, but again it's a old school trick that maybe works better with low voltage ignitions of yesterday.
    very good! i thought i was the only one left who knew or even used this trick. it gives you get a cleaner, more complete burn. i've used this trick ever since i started tuning.

What is recommended for I4, platinum or non platinum ngk?

thanks,
    mike
    2002 Galant ES - I4, Viynl Interior by P
    Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD, RF P4004, RF P8002, 2-Infinity 12" Perfect 12.1DV Subs
    Lightning Audio Digital Capacitor
    Infinity Speakers,GTZ Spoiler, Ractive E-brake, Chrome Door Handles, CF Armrest
    Freedom Design Strut Bar, Cleared Corners
    KUMHO 711 Tires, CF Interior Trim

you cvan use regular plugs on the i4. since its really simple to change, there's no big need to pay extra for platinum. on the v6, i suggest platinum cuz tehy will last longer and its a real bitch to get to the rear 3 plugs. not something you'd want to change all the time.

also, if you are gonna gap the plugs, make suer that they are gappable. i know with some aftermarket plugs, if you cap them, you can mess up the electrode and in that case, they come pregapped.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

john mars

sp[ark plugs

this may ave been answered a while back but, how do u take off our spark plug wires. do we need special tool topry off the wires? I really would like to change my plugs this time. I have an I4..

NavBlueGold

nope

No you dont need a special tool to work off the plug wires or the coil packs. Just be careful and work the wires free to pull them out. It's a little hard to see down to the plugs but all in all it's pretty simple.