The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: $1500 AEM big brake conversion

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    leadfoot

$1500 AEM big brake conversion

i was looking at brake upgrades and i saw a V6 AEM big brake upgrade and was interested in it has anyone ever done this on a I-4 galant i know it was be done on a V6 but what about us I4's will that parts and everything match up? oh and how much does it shorten your stoping distance? there is a 4 piston caliper upgrade but what about the rear is there a conversion for the rearor are we stuck with the drums in the back. oh and how much of a direrence is there between the 4 piston calipers and the other upgrade with just bigger rotors and AEM calipers.

I was thinking about doing this conversion sometime down the road, but the one thing that always stopped me from doing it, was, YOU may be able to stop in a shorter distance, but the guys behind you most likely won't be able to...that's the one thing that's always stopped me from doing the conversion...

leadfoot
    the guy behind me can kiss my big colombian ass. i really dont want to be that guy that rear ends someone plus all of my money is going into the front half of the car the only thing that will be a problem loosing from the rear of me car is my sterio and those are easy to come by. om thinking of just for and betting the bigger rotor from AEM and using brembo pads.

uhhh, the gas tank is in the rear. filled with some flammable gas. one word. kaboom.

but yea. there's a chance that you can get it to fit. the premium level 2k2+ i4's use the v6 brakes in the front. but since you have an es, your more than likely gonna have the non premium i4 brakes. but back to the first sentence of this paragraph. with the premium level i4's using the v6 brakes, things don't look as hard now to use the v6 brakes on the i4.

i hope you don't have drums too. if you do, convert that to disc at the least. looks kinda silly having big ass rotors with nice calipers and then dinky asss drums in the rear

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

leadfoot
    yes i do have drums in the rear i wouod like to get bigger rottrs for the front and a rear disk conversion for the rear as well. but the AEm only offers the 4 piston caliper conversion for the 2 front and nothin for the rear.

i dont like our brakes...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leadfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>the guy behind me can kiss my big colombian ass. i really dont want Â*to be that guy that rear ends someone plus all of my money is going into the front half of the car the only thing that will be a problem loosing from the rear of me car is my sterio and those are easy to come by. om thinking of just for and betting the bigger rotor from AEM and using brembo pads.</div>

Yeah...but with any accidents, if it's severe enough, there's down time....3-4 weeks maybe month, and no one wants that

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    always remember to consider brake balance. You can get the largest rotors and best calipers up front, but you better do the back at the same time or your gonna be unstable while braking.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

leadfoot
    good point i never though of it like that i guess ill hold on the brakes and get other things first.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    always remember to consider brake balance. You can get the largest rotors and best calipers up front, but you better do the back at the same time or your gonna be unstable while braking.

Yes that is very true the front would lock up and you will have no control of the rear plus you gotta think about the abs system which is probally programmed to the size rotor(not sure though).
    STEPHEN
    2000 GMC K2500 4x4
    2004 Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4

J
    the 3g guyz swear by the baer track kit for the daily driver that needs amazing stoppage.

get baer or brembo, not AEM. AEM needs to stick to making intakes and fuel pressure regulators, NOT brake kits.

Diesel
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J)</div><div class='quotemain'>the 3g guyz swear by the baer track kit for the daily driver that needs amazing stoppage.</div>

Baer track kits are sweet... and affordable...

Diesel
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>get baer or brembo, not AEM. AEM needs to stick to making intakes and fuel pressure regulators, NOT brake kits.</div>

AEM's brakes are mfg by Nissin if i recall... so they have good shit...

I had an AEM brake kit on my Si, and it was a huge improvement over stock...

Xska55
    can anybody tell me where i can buy the baer track kit cause ive been going nuts looking for it and no success and i know club 3g is running a group buy for em but i wanna see where else i could get them from

blueghost194
    hey just a Question: how much would it be to convert the drums in the rear to disk brakes? and what kind do i get if i do it?

Diesel did you have any brake balance problems on your Si?

Thanks,
    mike
    2002 Galant ES - I4, Viynl Interior by P
    Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD, RF P4004, RF P8002, 2-Infinity 12" Perfect 12.1DV Subs
    Lightning Audio Digital Capacitor
    Infinity Speakers,GTZ Spoiler, Ractive E-brake, Chrome Door Handles, CF Armrest
    Freedom Design Strut Bar, Cleared Corners
    KUMHO 711 Tires, CF Interior Trim

BlueESV6
    If you have ABS I don't think that you'd have to worry about the brakes locking up. There is a cheaper brake upgrade without the calipers. It uses a bigger rotor and extends your OEM calipers. It's around $450 at Autosalon.com I believe.

Anyone have them?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you have ABS I don't think that you'd have to worry about the brakes locking up. There is a cheaper brake upgrade without the calipers. It uses a bigger rotor and extends your OEM calipers. It's around $450 at Autosalon.com I believe.

Anyone have them?</div>

I've locked mine up twice this year, Some ABS
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

BlueESV6
    Lazarus wrote: <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I've locked mine up twice this year, Some ABS</div>

Do you have the big brake kit? I imagine that's (locked brakes) not a very good feeling!!

I found some more on that cheaper kit if anyones interested...

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/a...m/brakeinfo.htm

I have not locked mine up yet but have not had to do any extreme braking. Almost hit a deer once but the car stopped in time and didn't lock up. With all the trouble mitsu's brakes have I should have known better than to trust the ABS

Was watching horsepower TV or something adn they were talking about the bear big brake kit saying that the caliper was made to provide more "feedback" or soemthing to the driver. I was wondering what they meant by that. I also wonder if the AEM does this also.