The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: belts squeal & hood won't open

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    scitron

belts squeal & hood won't open

Hello,
    I was told that my belts were bad (made by goodyear) replaced about 1 year ago. Anyway they advised me to switch to Gates, no problem. Well the belts still squeal as much as before when the motor starts, disappears in a matter of moments. also, when I tried to see if the belts were tight enough, the hood wouldn't pop open. Any suggestions, it a 1995 galant.

thank you,

Sam

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    have you had problems with your hood before? try popping it with the latch, and hit on it around the edges with the side of your fist. the latch is probably sticking to the release mechanism. try to get a rod and push the hood up from underneath and have someone pulling the latch from inside the cabin.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

there is also washer thingys thats colored blacknext to each head light twist it soo it goes up more... as for the belts try adding belt dressing.... and check if it also need to be tighted
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

I was always told NEVER used Belt Dressing, because this doesnt make your Problem go away, only the noise. It MAY be that you Water Pump is Going, or that you Alternator is loose(which is what i had) 2 weeks ago. There is a Screw that holds the alternator into place with a nut...and that screw would move around after i would start my car, making the belts loose and cause the to squeal. So i took it to a friend, and he told me that that was my problem. What we ended up doin, was putting one of those LOCK NUTS w/ a extra washer. So far so good. no more Squeal.