The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: sway bar vs. lower tie bar

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

sway bar vs. lower tie bar

sup ppls just curious, i wanted to know wuts the difference between a sway bar and a lower tie bar? also hard is an install? Now i have '00 LS can't i just order a GTZ sway bar and have put it? thanks
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

Senior TGC Member
    Yes you can put in a GTZ/Eclipse GT rear swap bar, as I did. The sway bar is a bit more complicated to install than a lower tie bar. The sway bar's purpose is to keep the wheels from wanting to press into the body as the vehicle corners by pushing back against the cornering forces. A tie bar merely reinforces the rear crossmember and braces against the control arm pivot points. That way, the control arms don't push into the crossmember and can instead do their job. Flex = bad.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Hey auto 9 how tought is the install? and is there a noticable difference?
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

Senior TGC Member
    Um for me, I don't really know. I did other suspension modifications at the same time so I couldn't really single it out. But logic would suggest that it couldn't have just done nothing.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

I wouldn't waste money an a lower tie bar. I was once going to get one until I read that Road Race Engineering won't even sell them for the Eclipse because they are pretty much just decoration. The crossmember in the Eclipse and our Galants are rigid enough.

hey Dan thanks for the reply....would u recommend on getting the sway bar from the GTZ? Is it a direct fit or slight mods.?

Senior TGC Member
    It's a direct fit. You may need to swap out the sway bar bushings though, as it's 1 mm thicker than factory.

mighty
    and on these sway bars how do you install them?
    anyone feel like making a tut? what's a bushing etc etc?

help people out in the posts please folks

Senior TGC Member
    There are two bushings that hold the sway bar to the crossmember. If you look under your car you'll see two little U shaped thingies that the sway bar passes through...those are it.

A rear lower tie bar on my Integra is definetly noticeable...I can stick it to the twisties quite nicely now. It stiffens up your ride, however...get prepared for some bumpiness. I know these kick ass while leaving your trunk free, unlike a rear upper strut brace. I really don't know how well it will work on a 3500+lb car though.