Thread: 1999 Galant ES V6 - Steering Wheel Vibration **UPDATE**

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 80
    nebj00la

1999 Galant ES V6 - Steering Wheel Vibration **UPDATE**

UPDATE:

I have worked on the following with these places:

New Brakes (pads, rotors)
    New Tires (twice - I requested a new set when I thought it might be them)
    Two new rims (aftermarket oem style)
    Dealer replaced Front Left Axle/Front Right Axle
    Multiple Alignments
    Multiple Balances

Replaced Left Front Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly
    Road Force Variation Balance *latest*

(results from force variation showed front rims/tires were great ~4 force, rear right rim was off just a little bit (thats why they put it there), and the left rear tire had borderline force variation, ~18)

Still shakes....

I am convinced it isn't my rims/tires since the problem goes away for short periods of time when I am going straight on the highway, under no engine stress.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I have run out of money to fix this crap!

PLEASE HELP!

:cry: :cry:

I had the same problem and still experiencing the problem. Funny you post today. Another young G rider asked me last night about this problem. He as turned his rotors and replaced his breaks several times. I had/have the same problem with factory wheels and tires. Noticed when I bought the car but they said it was that the rotors needed turning. Funny; they turn rotors and it goes away for about 2 or 3 weeks and comes back. I have chrome shoes now and it still experience that vibration. Mine comes in around 55 to 80. Once I get passed 85mph I can't feel it no more (I know why.... took physics ) but anyways I dont know the cause. It comes and goes at higher speeds but is consistent around 55mph. I consistently balance, align, rotate tires. Recently put on new rotors after replacing rotors about a yr ago. Breaks are being replaced (every 6 - 8 months seems like)

Question: Has anyone had any dealer recalls for this????
    I have not.

Gilhuly
    I can also verify this. I have recently done wheel balance and turned rotors. This did get rid of other shimmying, but there is still a vibration that comes in under load and and not under load at various highway speeds. Seems much more likely to occur after initial on ramp accelleration and less likely to be there after driving for a few minutes. I am trying to make sure it's not just certain patches of road. I also experience a serious wobble only in the top end of 1st and bottom end of second at moderate load - don't know if this is related or separate. If they are related, its probably a torque converter lock up issue in 4th, but I doubt it. I think this is happening between the differential and the wheel hub - so my money's on axles or wheel bearings.

ManyBrews - You must have seen people come in for this where the rotors and balance didn't completely get rid of all vibration?

I have the same vibration issues. Replaced one of my rotors already (unrelated to vibration), but did not want to try and resolve by just replacing parts and guessing at the different causes.

I know that there are alot more people out there with this issue. My assumption is that every Galant has the issue, regardless of engine/package trim, but would love to hear from someone with a 6cyl/auto that would probably have a different tranny. Or, even verify that the same issues exist with manual trannies in any Galant. I believe that they'd all have the wheel bearings in common, so it was the 1st place I was gonna start.

I have a 2000 4cyl/auto (ES)...

Elvis

Atlanta - shout out to San Pedro and Panama - que sopa!?
    i used to have this same prob...i was in a car accident. took it to the dealer numerous times and they couldn't figure it out. earlier this year i bought some tires and go the whole balance deal. i took it to Kauffman tire. they said there was a part in my front left axle (could've been right, don't remember) that needed to be replaced. after getting new tires, alignment, balance..and that new part, all was well.

could it be the cv joint causing this?
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT // 3.4L V6
    ____

The SPOT!! - - Dirty South Imports

Layton
    I have the problem off-and-on, but it goes away after balancing the front tires. My Goodyear dealer has to put the tires and wheels on some machine and line them up to each other and then place the weights on the wheels. It's really interesting to watch them do it, and it fixes the problem for several months. I have aftermarket wheels which might help fix the problem a bit, too. (I didn't leave the factory wheels on long enough to get a feel for them.)

Warped rotors can also throw of the wheel rotation, and our cars are notorious for warped rotors.

Another thing I just thought of is the type of tire. My Dad's truck sits for long periods of time. The tires get "flat spots" where they sat on the garage floor that take a day or two of driving before they soften up. During this period, the steering wheel jitters pretty bad. Your car hasn't sat for a long period has it?

Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    I know that there are alot more people out there with this issue. My assumption is that every Galant has the issue, regardless of engine/package trim, but would love to hear from someone with a 6cyl/auto that would probably have a different tranny. Or, even verify that the same issues exist with manual trannies in any Galant. I believe that they'd all have the wheel bearings in common, so it was the 1st place I was gonna start.

I have a 2000 4cyl/auto (ES)...

Elvis
    AFAIK, the V6 has the same tranny as the 4cyl. I have never had any non-brake-related vibration (meaning any vibration I did have only occurred during braking), but I only have about 30k mi. I replaced the stock wheels and tires as soon as I got the car, so I don't know if they would be a cause of your vibration.

Gilhuly
    I posted above and I have a 99 ES V6 with 99k. The more I think about this the more I think that the Axle or CV has to be it.

I've got some aftermarket wheels (Borbet Type-M 17x8) and set of Kuhmos on there that ride really well on my Supra. That's why I'm sure it's not the wheels, tires, etc. Also have no vibration braking (hard or soft), so the rotors are fine.

BigShun... I'd be very interested in what part of axle/CV was replaced on yours, since I have to agree that it must be something there and common to all of the 8G Galants.

I am going to replace my timing belt soon and would be a good time to try and look at axles/CV joints... hopefully it's something simple enough...

Elvis

nebj00la

***UPDATE***

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

The dealership diagnosed the problem to be the front left wheel bearing/hub assembly. This was replaced, cost me 350 with labor/tax.

Still shakes a little, but nowhere near as much as it used to.

Any ideas? :-)

I'm a little happier now, heh.

Gilhuly
    The 4 cyl and 6 cyl do not have the same tranny.

Nosgalant
    I have a 2000 ES 2.4 with !8" vox wheels and Kuhmo tires with Progress sport springs and I get this same vibration between 60 and 80 on the highway. It comes and goes but, not all the time. I am wondering since we share so much with the 3g eclipses, if they are having the same problems and if they know anything that we might try. Just a thought.

PaulBlackGSX
    If rotors and properly sized tires/wheels don't get the problem go away I've also seen this happen for two other reasons:

1. Improperly bled brake system, causing uneven left/right side braking which can warp rotors

2. Bad/dead/dying wheel bearings. Usually you will hear a lot of wheel noise at high speeds in this case.

I've got this problem on my 02 ES (totally stock). Tire rotation helped, I bet brakes will too. My guess by the noise I hear is that the bearings haven't been serviced properly (bought my used) or that Mitsubishi used poor quality wheel bearings.

Not sure though, I need brakes so I'll be pulling mine and checking it out, maybe I'll find something to share.

akiraflux
    just throwin an idea out there...it's probably not it. but the whole hubcentric/boltcentric thing goin on?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    damn piece of shit galants, i hate 'em
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

akiraflux
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    damn piece of shit galants, i hate 'em
    dude...you gotta treat your car like women. be an asshole to it and it'll never fail. pamper it...and it becomes a little bitch.

Gilhuly
    I am waiting to put on my new tires which are in my driveway before passing judgement on this. It's possible that my tires are a bit out of round being as old as they are. My level of vibration is fairly low (I've had many different levels). I'll keep you guys posted when I have new tires, aligned suspension, straight rotors.

Hmm. So now we know that balancing, alignments, axles, new wheels are not root causes of the vibration issues we are experiencing here. Is it possible that the struts/springs play a factor in this at all? What about the tranny? Is there any way a transmission shop can verify that the tranny is/is not causing the vibration issues? I posted a topic on this vibration issue a few months ago. What amazes me is how challenging this has come to be, even after 4 years of production. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't see any highway vibration issues on 2001 and above models. Like almost everyone else, I've tried everything to eliminate the vibration issue and nothing has worked. Just my thoughts.

Gilhuly
    I still think that it is likely an Axle /CV wear issue and you just haven't seen it yet on 01+.

Atlanta - shout out to San Pedro and Panama - que sopa!?
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>BigShun... I'd be very interested in what part of axle/CV was replaced on yours, since I have to agree that it must be something there and common to all of the 8G Galants</div>

i'll look at the paperwork this weekend. i have all receipts. i'll let you know on monday what that part was. ((if you haven't figured it out already.))
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT // 3.4L V6
    ____

The SPOT!! - - Dirty South Imports

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast