The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1999 Galant ES V6 - Steering Wheel Vibration **UPDATE**

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 80
    nebj00la
    Well, I got a road force variation balance done today. Less of a pain in the ass, but there is still a distinctive vibration (just not as bad). So, I'm sure the axles/hub assembly(wheel bearing) were a leading factor.

SOOO... What's left, really? It would be really nice to find out that this problem is being caused by some stupid part that can be adjusted/replaced for like... $50, after spending $1000+ to figure it out.

:x ARGH :x

Well there was a TSB on this steering wheel vibration issue for the 99-00 models Galants. Their suggested solution was to replace the lower control arms. I did just that and the vibration did not get any better. Yes, it is true that the Hunter road force balancing tool helps to eliminate the severity of the vibration. But does it cure it totally? Not really. I too will be focusing my attention to the axles next. I'm close to having this car paid for, since I am going to keep it I might as well figure this thing out. What scares me is that it may take a quite a bit of money to figure out what will probably be nothing major.

I took a long drive yesterday and sensed some road noise that sounded like I may be looking at a bad bearing soon. Thing is, it almost sounded like it was coming from the rear, so it still wouldn't probably help me isolate the problem.

Will have to price out the bearings/labor and maybe just do 'em all...

Elvis

PaulBlackGSX
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I took a long drive yesterday and sensed some road noise that sounded like I may be looking at a bad bearing soon. Â*Thing is, it almost sounded like it was coming from the rear, so it still wouldn't probably help me isolate the problem.

Will have to price out the bearings/labor and maybe just do 'em all...

Elvis</div>

I'm really curious to know if this is the case. Based on the noise I hear in my 8G, I am STRONGLY leaning towards it being a wheel hub/bearing related.

BiGSHUN,
    Were you able to get that information on your replaced axle/CV part? I would be interested to know what you have.

Manybrews,
    What are your thoughts on this subject matter of the steering wheel vibration? Do you think that the axle/wheel hub assembly is worth the investment as we continue to take measures to elimate this steering wheel vibration?

Thanks

Atlanta - shout out to San Pedro and Panama - que sopa!?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavisii
    BiGSHUN,
    Were you able to get that information on your replaced axle/CV part? I would be interested to know what you have.
    i haven't forgot. i moved not too long ago and its either in my car or some boxes. i'm still looking. i should have it tonite since i already looked through most of the stuff.
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT // 3.4L V6
    ____

The SPOT!! - - Dirty South Imports

Atlanta - shout out to San Pedro and Panama - que sopa!?
    i found it. according to what they put on the receipt, they installed a right front inner tierod. the part cost 75 bucks. they had to get it from the dealership. i hope this may help.
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT // 3.4L V6
    ____

The SPOT!! - - Dirty South Imports

nebj00la
    Alright, alright... On my way to work today I decided to put all my attention on the issue at hand, here's what I gathered.

My initial drive on the backroads to get onto the highway is fine. No steering wheel vibration other than what I would expect...

(Wonderful)

I got on the highway, and everything is fine for about a mile, until I start turning a little. If I shake the steering wheel left to right quickly (just the slightest amount) I can feel a vibration when the steering wheel is on its way back to going straight ahead from either side. ie. shift to the left, fine... shift back to the center, on the way back to getting the the center it shakes a little.

(Shaky)

Strangest part is.... It's not always shaking. Sometimes it's smooth as glass. :shock:

I will admit after all the crap I had adjusted/replaced it did get much better, but it's still vibrating DAMMIT! :x

I just wish someone knew what the heck was causing this problem.

:? Any insight is GREATLY appreciated. :?

Anyone? Anything?

Hoopcrazyt8
    i remember read somehing about this before it was talking about control arm or seomthing. i was thinkin if any of you guys have the control are change?

Nosgalant
    I know this sounds to good to be true but, it worked for me. I really can't explain it. We pulled wheels off to check if I had maybe bent a rim. Nope. so while we had them off we rebalanced them and checked tire pressureI have always run 32 psi in tires. My buddy told me that his 18's he runs between 35 and 38 psi. So we tried it and put wheels back on. Well I have drove it to work 4 days in a row (53 miles each way) and (my) vibration is completely gone. I really cannot explain it either, but I am very pleased. The only thing I still notice is a small pull when I apply the brakes so I figure new rotors will solve this.

Gilhuly
    Well, it won't cost much to try that.

nebj00la
    When I got the road force variation balance, they set my tire pressure to 35 all the way around, still shakes :-(

I wish there was something I could do to fix this...

I only feel it when im goin about 70-75, which isnt always. But sometimes i dont feel it at all.

I think the steering is rrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaallly sensitive, because i was going 70-75, on the I495, one day the roads werent that great, and everytime i was a really smooth road there was no vibration, but than the rough road came up and it started vibrating.

So i concluded the steering wheel being tooo sensitive, LOLOL
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

nebj00la
    that's what im unfortunately having to tell myself :-(

mitsubishiautoclub

I HAVE GIVEN UP ON TRYING TO FIX THE VIBRATIONS, (99 GALANT

HEY ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE PEOPLE THAT WERE SUING MITSU BECAUSE OF ALL THE RECALLS, A FEW YEARS AGO I SAY IT ON SOME WEB SITE, I HATE MY MITSU, BUT I LOVE MY MITSU..........

http://mitsubishiautoclub.home.att.net/

nebj00la
    Tried the tire pressure... didn't help :-(

Hoopcrazyt8,

Replaced control arms as stated on TSB, did not help.

nebj00la
    I have no idea what is left to replace...?

00GTZ00
    Try the front bushings. Upgrage them all to poly bushinngs, Start with the lower A-arms and work your way in...

I had this same problem in my old BMW, I would balance the tires once a month to keep the vibration away. Then I upgraded the front bushings to 7 series bushings and the car ran like it was on rails afterward...

nebj00la
    bushings wouldn't make it intermittent though, would it? I'll keep it in consideration, but I think it's elsewhere.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast