The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1999 Galant ES V6 - Steering Wheel Vibration **UPDATE**

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 80
    tribal
    Not that it matters to anyone, but I also get steering wheel vibrations, but didn't get it until putting on my aftermarket rims.

00GTZ00
    Quote Originally Posted by nebj00la
    bushings wouldn't make it intermittent though, would it? I'll keep it in consideration, but I think it's elsewhere.
    ya the bushings are allways moving and being stressed out. If they are bad/worn then when they are applied to stress they will give much more and your front end will shake rattle and roll

akiraflux
    Quote Originally Posted by tribal
    Not that it matters to anyone, but I also get steering wheel vibrations, but didn't get it until putting on my aftermarket rims.

its for reasons like that that makes me thing you guys didn't get hub rings when you should've...

nebj00la
    Here's a question, could the subwoofer enclosure/system in the trunk areas have something to do with this vibrating in the front? (Uneven weight between the front and back of the car)

Just wondering...

00GTZ00
    donno if you have seen this thread yet...

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22400

"My wife and I bought a 99' gallant in December of 98'. We replaced brake pads, had rotors turned twice, and then replaced with new ones, front bushings replaced (to stop the vibrations in the steering), and several alignments all before the warranty expired (luckily). After the warranty expired we had the brake pads and rotors replaced yet again (with different non-Mitsubishi parts) and finally solved the brake problem (so we thought). It is 03' now and we have 130k miles on the vehicle, the windshield wipers, cruise control, and the air conditioner all have began to work part time! Oh, and we are starting to get the brake problem back again (much less severe than before).The car has had it share of problems, but overall been a fairly decent vehicle. The motor will surely outlast all the other components on the vehicle."

ok, i just started getting a vibration in my steering wheel, its only at about 70+mph. now my car has been in an accident, a lot of components in the front end were replaced. one thing that slipped by the body shop (among other things :x ) was the right inner tie rod. there is very little play in it but enough i think to give me a little vibration.

so nebj00la, maybe have those checked out. ive never had to replace an inner tie rod on anyones car, so im not really sure that they can even cause a vibration. i know manybrews has more expierence than me as a mechanic, perhaps he can shed some light on the situation.

Coldshot,
    I think you may be onto something with the tie rods. I never thought of this until BiGSHUN mentioned that he had an inner one replaced. I decided to do some research on lower tie rods, and these can actually cause steering wheel shimmies as well (it was one of the top symptoms for the defective part). I know a lot of us are going to look into the axle/wheel assembly; however, I am leaning toward replacing the inner & outer tie rods on each side for my next approach. I think I will finally see an improvement that I've been waiting for (being that there is not much else to change out).

nebj00la
    how much will that cost ... :-(

by the way, it's not getting any better... all this work and it still shakes like there's no tomorrow.

nebj00la,
    I saw where they were selling the inner rods for approximately $45 each. I can't remember the site right off, but it was indeed a Mitsubishi wholesale parts website. I'll locate the URL and pass the link your way. I thought I recalled someone mentioning that they got their tie rod from the dealer for $75, so this could definitely be of great savings.

nebj00la
    There's a tire place that my uncle goes to, supposedly the owner is really smart.... I think I'm going to bring it there and have him take a look at it.

$45, can I do it myself? I would think special tools are necessary.

As promised, here is the website where I spotted the tie rods at the discounted price:

http://www.mitsubishi-parts-dealer.com/parts.htm

From what I am hearing you can do it yourself, but there is a tool you would have to obtain from an autoparts store (I think you can even rent it from what I read). If you go to the Advance Auto Parts website they will give you step by step instructions for replacing the outer tie rods. The only thing is that you would have to drive the car to the dealership afterwards to get it realigned, as this would affect your toe-in/toe-out measurements (as well as your steering wheel alignment).

Quote Originally Posted by mdavisii
    BiGSHUN,
    Were you able to get that information on your replaced axle/CV part? I would be interested to know what you have.

Manybrews,
    What are your thoughts on this subject matter of the steering wheel vibration? Do you think that the axle/wheel hub assembly is worth the investment as we continue to take measures to elimate this steering wheel vibration?

Thanks
    seriously, the only issues we have with vibration are 1)the shitty goodyear eagle LS tires, and 2) the warping of rotors and rear drums (or discs).

does it vibrate all the time, or just whilst braking? if its only braking, its obviously brake related. the brakes are not going to cause a vibration when not applied.
    a wheel bearing isnt really going to cause a vibration, either, unless its REALLY bad (which would generally show other signs of failure, like noise, etc).
    i have yet to replace an axle on a new galant or eclipse for any reason other than an accident, but it is certainly possible for a faulty axle / cv assembly to cause vibration.

No, i still would stick with tires/rims before I did anything else.

Gilhuly
    My tires are balanced. My alignment's good. My brakes are smoooth (and just recently done). I get some shimmy on my 99 ES V6 sometimes under load, sometimes coasting. Sometimes it's the road surface. Sometimes it's definitely not. I have 100,600 on my car and I definitely think there is some play somewhere. I'm going to get under it this weekend and start yanking on stuff.

manybrews, the thing with my car is thats its been in a wreck, (damn poles jumpin out in front of ya) everything has been fixed, and it drives straight. the only thing that has any play in it is the right inner tie rod. But, i havent re-balanced my wheels, simply because the balancer at our shop is always screwed up. the 24 techs at my shop have been screaming to get a road force balancer, but thats another story. so a weight could have been slightly dislodged because of the accident. now suppose the wheels are balanced correctly, the inner tie rod doesnt have a lot of play, just a little, would this cause a vibration at like 70mph? its not a shimmy its a vibration.

sometimes i wish i had bought a ford since i work in a ford shop, life would be a lot easier, but i still love my galant

nebj00la
    Well, it's going back to the dealer next wednesday... Nice of the service manager to finally offer me a rental car free of charge for all the "business" i've given them.

He says he doesn't want to put anymore parts in it until they are sure of something.

They're going to change my timing belt while its there, since I'm at 87K. (whoops)

nebj00la
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    seriously, the only issues we have with vibration are 1)the shitty goodyear eagle LS tires, and 2) the warping of rotors and rear drums (or discs).

does it vibrate all the time, or just whilst braking? if its only braking, its obviously brake related. the brakes are not going to cause a vibration when not applied.
    a wheel bearing isnt really going to cause a vibration, either, unless its REALLY bad (which would generally show other signs of failure, like noise, etc).
    i have yet to replace an axle on a new galant or eclipse for any reason other than an accident, but it is certainly possible for a faulty axle / cv assembly to cause vibration.

No, i still would stick with tires/rims before I did anything else.
    It vibrates on the highway all the time. I also feel it vibrate on side streets when the steering wheel is on it's way back to straight on (from a turn).

Had the brakes replaced a few months ago (a few times) also turned.

UPDATE!!

Replaced my wheels/tires this last weekend and definitely noticed the difference. Mush less vibration, much less road noise. haven't even been able to hear that noise coming from the rear, that sounded like a bad bearing.

It's only been a couple of days, so I'll update later if things change.... Something to note...the other/old wheels/tires did not have that centering ring on 'em. Supposedly I have them on these wheels, but I haven't personally checked. I got the new ones at Discount Tires and they said they'd automatically include them on the install (if they were necessary).

Here are my specs:
    2000 Galant ES (4cyl) Mileage = 101K
    Old wheels/tires : Borbet Type-M 17x8 (offset unknown) Kuhmos Supra-Ecsta 712 225/45-17

New wheels/tires : Fondmetal 9As 17x7 (35S...offset/color?) with some tires I've never heard of, but got them cheap enough, so I'll check 'em out... VISA VK-40G 215/45ZR-17

Running great for now and only a slight shimmy at around 80MPH.....

If you are using aftermarket wheels, check for those centering rings (also called spacers or hub-centric rings)...that might be a cheap easy alternative to tie-rods etc.... GOOD LUCK!

nebj00la
    Well, I replaced the timing belt today. They checked the front end part temperatures after a test drive and nothing showed up as an obvious problem. argh. Atleast now I have a good timing belt :shock:

ARGH.

Hmm . . .

Has anyone considered the engine bay as a reasoning behind the steering wheel shimmies? In other words, what about the motor mounts? Mine aren't bad by any means, but I still decided to do a little test on my own. Basically while parked, I reved the engine to 2000-2600 rpms and held it steady for several seconds. While doing this I noticed that I could feel the vibration go through the steering wheel, nothing anyone would really notice simply because it is so minor. What's interesting about this is the fact that I could easily see how this vibration could cause a shimmy while in motion. For those of us who own V6 models (like myself), you notice that the vibrations usually occur within the rpm range mentioned above. This is the 65-70 MPH range. This is also the rpm range where some of us feel a vibration in the lower part of the 2nd gear. Just throwing out another concept for us to ponder over. Who knows, maybe the suspension has nothing to do with this afterall.

If anyone gets a chance I would be curious to know if there is any similiar behavior out there.

Gilhuly
    I think that is a highly valid point and one I am about to investigate as I'm pretty sure I have at some motor and/or tranny mount issues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast