The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1999 Galant ES V6 - Steering Wheel Vibration **UPDATE**

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Showing results 61 to 80 of 80
    How many motor mounts does the V6 model have, and where are they located? I think I am going to replace mine this weekend.

Gilhuly
    I had my new tires put on and Shudder up above 70 was still bad. Took the car back to the guys who did the mount/balance and it turns out I have a bad front right tie rod end which they said should account for the shimmy. I was able to feel the play in the wheel while it was on the lift. Similar to bad wheel bearing symptom. I think I've had this condition for like at least a year. I'll keep everybody posted. I'm getting the work done a wek from Monday.

Hey would u happen to know if this is the inner or outer tie rod end? Also what are the costs involved with this work. Thx!

Gilhuly
    My issue is the outer tie rod or tie rod end. The part does not appear to be available in general auto parts places yet. I ordered two from the place listed earlier in this thread for $46 a piece. Received them a day later (yesterday). The reason I ordered two is that the labor is pretty minor and any time you replace one you have to get an alignment, so I'll just do them both as I have 104k on the Galant and because I love my baby. If you have a Jack, Jack stands and a tie rod end separator or puller (you get as a loaner from Autozone) and a socket set you can do it yourself. I may. I haven't decided yet - It'll depend on the weather over the next few days in CT.

Gilhuly
    Had my tie rod ends done today and an alignment (mandatory). Made a big difference. I asked my guy what else he might have seen and he did say that there was some play in the inner tie rods as well. I'm chalking up any remaining wobble (barely anything) to the inner tie rods and will probably do those in the spring.

So, class, what have we learned so far:

If you have a wobble -

Balance your tires and make sure your rims aren't bent, then
    make sure your brakes aren't warped, then
    Check your tie rod ends (outer tie rods, then
    Check your inner tie rods

Of course, your axles could be going (CV joints wearing out) or
    your wheel bearings could be going, but they'll make some noise to let you know.

nebj00la
    glad to be a part of such a valuable lesson.

class dismissed... for now.

ok my car is beginning to shimmy and my two mechanic friends diagnosed my problem it was my inner tie rods funny thing is.....anyone know how to fix this shit

Finally, at last!!!!!!

. . . after 4 years of the shimmies, I now have a very smooth riding car.

Thanks to the replacement of the outer tie rods (tie rod ends)! They didn't appear to be bad, but since everyone else has had good success with replacing tie rods, I decided to go ahead and change mine out anyway. Now I don't get one shimmy, not one! It literally feels like I'm floating at 80 MPH.

I urge those of you who dealt with the shimmies for years with no solutions (like I have) to replace your outer tie rods even if they look decent. I bet that is where the root of it all lies.

P.S. I am not 100% sure, but I think the vibration I used to feel at the lower end of the first gear going into second has been eliminated as well.

Hi mdavisii, do you have your car dropped? My car vibrates at the lower end of the first gear. but this occured after I dropped the car.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium02
    Hi mdavisii, do you have your car dropped? My car vibrates at the lower end of the first gear. but this occured after I dropped the car.
    My car is pretty much bone stock with 118k miles on it. Although my vibrations at the highway speeds appear to be gone, I still do experience the vibration at the upper end of the first gear (going into the second gear). I am wondering if this has something to do with a vibration from the engine bay. Maybe a motor mount weakening, who knows.

If you have a V6 and you have had your car dropped to low it will shake on take off. The fix is to rase the car back up to a hight where it doesn't shake. The tie rod ends sounds like it may be the the ticket. How odd.

Wes
    Another fine post brought to you By:
    The Man™
    Search the boards first please!

Just brought the car to mitsu dealer, and they found out that it was bad balancing and alignment that made vibration.

The car is a bit better, but the steering wheel vibration is not completely gone. They said this is becasue my tires are agressive low profile.

nebj00la

!!!!PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

OK. The problem has been fixed. After a set of tires gone bad because of the problem - I sent the car to the dealership one LAST TIME before I gave up. They diagnosed the problem as "worn struts".

Struts replaced. Problem gone.

What a pain in my ass....

Re: !!!!PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nebj00la)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK. The problem has been fixed. After a set of tires gone bad because of the problem - I sent the car to the dealership one LAST TIME before I gave up. They diagnosed the problem as "worn struts".

What a pain in my ass....</div>

wait..were you on oem struts or aftermarket?
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

exoticimport2000
    I had a real bad vibration until I got new 18" chrome wheels and the easystreet air ride kit. Now it is all gone. rides smooth. I had a set of 18" painted wheels on it and a set of progressive drop springs before.

Re: !!!!PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nebj00la)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK. The problem has been fixed. After a set of tires gone bad because of the problem - I sent the car to the dealership one LAST TIME before I gave up. They diagnosed the problem as "worn struts".

What a pain in my ass....</div>

How much did the dealer charge you (or quote you) to replace the struts?
    Did you have the work done by the dealer using OEM struts, or somewhere else with aftermarket struts?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00GTZ00)</div><div class='quotemain'>Try the front bushings. Upgrage them all to poly bushinngs, Start with the lower A-arms and work your way in...

I had this same problem in my old BMW, I would balance the tires once a month to keep the vibration away. Then I upgraded the front bushings to 7 series bushings and the car ran like it was on rails afterward...</div>

does anybody know where you can get these poly bushings? im curious to see if that really helps.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00GTZ00)</div><div class='quotemain'>Try the front bushings. Upgrage them all to poly bushinngs, Start with the lower A-arms and work your way in...

I had this same problem in my old BMW, I would balance the tires once a month to keep the vibration away. Then I upgraded the front bushings to 7 series bushings and the car ran like it was on rails afterward...</div>

does anybody know where you can get these poly bushings? im curious to see if that really helps.</div>

For the G or a BMW? For the G go to energysuspension.com and get the 00+ eclipse hyper flex complete master bushing set.- Not sure how many will replace G parts.

*update*

i finally after over almost 2 years found the cause of my vibration. it seems that both ball joints on the control arms are bad which are causing the vibrations. parts were 150 per side and i will be having them installed this week and give an update.

hey what do poly bushinngs do? or where does it go?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234