The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: front tower strut brace and rear lower tie bar

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    hav2galantz

front tower strut brace and rear lower tie bar

would it make a big difference if i just put these two in instead of having all fours? where can i get them at a good price for an 03 esv6.. :?:

Re: front tower strut brace and rear lower tie bar

Quote Originally Posted by hav2galantz
    would it make a big difference if i just put these two in instead of having all fours? where can i get them at a good price for an 03 esv6.. :?:
    I don't think they make all 4, I think you can get a front strut brace from freedom, oem, road race (limited prod), rear tie from obx ( I just installed and it's great), and rear sway from perhaps norcal performance, assuming on your 03 eveythings the same. our cars already have a rear sway bar so you'd be looking for something more rigid and thicker

as far as front sway I haven't heard of anything like that

hav2galantz
    obx now also carry the front strut tower bars. if i just install the front tower bars, would that make any difference on the body roll? or do i need front and rear to really feel the difference? :?:

obx now also carry the front strut tower bars. if i just install the front tower bars, would that make any difference on the body roll? or do i need front and rear to really feel the difference? :?:
    fishboy (chip) wrote long ago in a post that he thought the rear tie did as much for the feel as the front strut. Personally I really enjoy my setup, I have an oem eclipse front strut and obx r rear tie. These two additions help body roll and make the steering stiffer, they also compete the suspension system by bracing the car where there is no bracing, making the chasis stiffer.

The rear tie bar hasn't eliminated all of my rear sway but the car's body roll and sway have greatly been reduced since I put my tie bar on. I was going to write a post about what I think of the setup but I'll just respond here. Driving on the freeway after installing the rear tie bar is much more easy because the car doesn't sway and move as much over the shitty san diego freeways. and I the driver have more control because the steering wheel is more stiff and the gradient of control is heightened. I would def. recommend purchasing a front strut brace and rear tie bar. I am still riding on stock springs and shocks and feel my car can handle turns well (+ 225/45 zr 17's). I have a feeling if I added a new suspension setup the car would be off the wall

here's a pic of the tie bar

If you think about it the oem brace and rear tie cost me about 75 for the front and 65 for the rear so for under 200 bucks you get a lot of performance out of a little cash.

L

Re: front tower strut brace and rear lower tie bar

i don't think there is a lower front bar made (although there is the D3 CSK) and the rear upper strut bar is not needed on our cars (it was prototyped by ROAD RACE ENGINEERING but they decided not to produce it because it was redundant) since the sedan structure allready braces the upper rear strut towers as opposed to a coupe structure where these are more prevalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Liszt
    I don't think they make all 4, I think you can get a front strut brace from freedom, oem, road race (limited prod), rear tie from obx ( I just installed and it's great), and rear sway from perhaps norcal performance, assuming on your 03 eveythings the same. our cars already have a rear sway bar so you'd be looking for something more rigid and thicker

as far as front sway I haven't heard of anything like that
    actually all 8G's excluding the DE have front and rear sway bars (DE only has front (17.0) and these are both upgradeable by replacing them w/ SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES sway bars for the 3G but on our cars, experts suggest that only ther rear bar be stiffened if you are goin to replace the sway bars. in fact the GTZ (16.0/19.0) actually has a thinner front sway bar and thicker rear sway bar as opposed to the ES and LS (17.0/18.0) http://www.mitsucars.com/galant/specs.html

Quote Originally Posted by [url='http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3gsuspension.htm'
    ROAD RACE ENGINEERING[/url]]Suspension Techniques Rear Sway Bar... This rear sway will make your car handle better by making it more "neutral". Stock, the factory gives you a car that "understeers" some. When you have the car all leaned over at the limits of adhesion, the front tires have a little less grip. The front end "pushes" some and does not turn enough. From instinct, you let off the gas because the car is not turning enough. This makes the weight transfer to the front of the car. The front end gets a little more grip and the rear a little less, your car rotates and you make the corner fine. All is good.

All is good except this is not the fast way to drive, having to let of the gas to make the car turn. It would be much faster around a corner if you could keep a nice steady throttle through the corner, gradually feeding in more throttle as you pass the apex and straighten out. The car would drift all four wheels evenly. Nice small inputs from the throttle transfer weight to the front or rear depending on where you want the car to be. A little more gas transfers the weight to the rear and the car goes wide, let off slightly and it sharpens up the corner. This is a neutral handling car. By installing a thicker rear sway bar (and leaving the front bar stock) you will make the car more neutral.

The down side, you need to be careful of what you wish for. If your car is nice and neutral, when you chop off the throttle suddenly the car can kick the tail out. The ST rear bar is made with a street car in mind. It is not a crazy stiff bar, it is even adjustable. There are 2 adjustment positions. It will make the car more neutral though and you need to keep this in mind. If you add a front bar, the car will corner flatter and give you a false sense of better handling. Also the bigger front bar will lift the inside front tire when cornering hard. This will give you less traction just when you need it most. We do not offer a front sway bar...