The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: what does vrg gdi stand for?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    sankul

what does vrg gdi stand for?

Hi
    Just got a jdm galant 1997 vrg gdi
    wondering what the initials stand for?
    also, my local dealer here in nairobi kenya does not service this vehicle. Is it very different from the galant supersaloon?

Newbie here.
    :oops:

sj420
    hey welcome to the boards... i'm not sure what VRG stands for, but GDI stands for Gasoline Direct Injection. it's supposed to be some revolutionary method of injecting the gasoline directly into the cylinder head instead of the intake manifold. i didn't know until recently but apparently the galant (8g) won the 96 car of the year award in japan mostly due to the gdi technology. thought it's interesting info hehe

~TaranTula~
    sj420 is correct wrt the meaning of GDI..........as for VRG, it's just a model badge.......there exists in Japan other models as VX, VE, Viento, Exceed and the ever so lovely VR-4.
    So it's just a matter of model (although in most instances one cannot discern one from the other)...... I have an Exceed.

As for your second question, parts you will find are difficult to come by.......where I live (Trinidad, West Indies), there exists a thriving business known as "Roll on Roll off" where previously owned vehicles from Japan are imported and re-sold here...........we get a good vehicle, practically new at a fraction of the cost of a new one!!!!!

I have a Galant Exceed GDI from Japan and a simple item as a fuel filter cannot be sourced locally.........it needs to be imported from Japan.

Engine is totally different from the Galant SuperSaloon and we may find noisy hydraulic valve lifters with these 1.8 GDI motors.......suspension may be similar as well as with body...........but your primary difficulty will lie in obtaining engine replacement parts......

I have often contemplated a 4G63T swap in my vehicle..........but that's another story 8) 8)

Hi ~TaranTula~ i am in Trini also, where do u get your parts and who is your mechanic?
    97, JDM Galant (8g)

I was born in trini to guys Fredrick Settlement Caroni but I live in NY. I was wondering do you guys think it will cost me cheeper to have a jap spec engine actually I will want the hole front cut ship to trini and then ship to NY maybe it will cost less because of the exchange rate. And I know they do alot of import in trini by bamboo and probely all over the country now. Let me know whats up guys.

~TaranTula~
    Quote Originally Posted by jusjase44
    Hi ~TaranTula~ i am in Trini also, where do u get your parts and who is your mechanic?
    well parts for that is quite difficult to source.....a fuel filter for instance is almost non existant here....may have to work up something else.......never had need to do any major mechanical, so I use the local mech where I live......Rio Claro