The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2000 Galant Rough Shifting 2nd to 3rd

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    velcrobots

2000 Galant Rough Shifting 2nd to 3rd

OK, I love my 2000 galant. V6, automatic, 55,000 miles.

For some time now, the car is shifting rough, only from second to third gear though. The whole car jerks, sometimes it's not that bad, sometimes bad enough to hurt my back and spill my morning coffee. I had it checked by a couple places and they can't figure it out.

Some things to note:

1. It seems to jerk harder when it's damp outside.
    2. I've gotten to the point where I can drive so it won't happen, if I lighten up on the gas just when it's about to jerk, it will shift smoothly.
    3. If I'm accelerating heavily, like when merging onto a highway, and really giving it gas, instead of jerking it revs higher for a second before it shifts.

I don't know much about transmissions, but from all the reading I've done it seems to be some kind of sensor problem, but no mechanic, including the dealer, can help! I'm at my wit's end, and just need to know if someone out there knows what's up.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Senior TGC Member
    This is a standard problem. There is a TSB for it I think, not sure, but my dealership knows the problem very well. They call it the hard 3-2 downshift and 2-3 upshift. I think it's a simple software reprogram.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

velcrobots
    What's a TSB? What can I tell my dealer?

Thanks so much for the info so far....

Senior TGC Member
    TSB is a technical service bulletin. It only becomes a recall if it affects a safety issue.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

velcrobots
    Hey, do you mind giving me the name of your dealership? I just spoke to mine, and they haven't heard of it - but they are going to call the Mitsubishi tech line and see if they can find something out.

But I would like to call your dealership and speak to their service department, if they are that familiar with the problem.

Thanks again!

Senior TGC Member
    Wow I guess you're local to me My preferred dealership (not because of their exceptional service or policies however) is Gillman Mitsubishi Southwest, the one located on 59/Southwest Freeway and the Beltway 8. You can often find me there as I often have nothing better to do other than harass them.

velcrobots
    I actually am not sure if I'm near you - but at this point I'd call South America to figure this out. I spoke to my dealership and they said there was a TSB for a hard 3-2 downshift, but not upshift, and it's for a 99 Galant, not a 2000. However, I find it wierd that I'm having that exact problem.

Anyway - what city/state is that dealer in?

I have to thank you again for all of your help, I truly do appreciate it.

Mike

Senior TGC Member
    They are in Houston, Texas.

427dontplay

Icon10 Hard shifts From 2nd to 3rd

So this is my first time writing in a forum. After a years worth of headaches and stress from dealership, transmission shop and countless random shops and over a thousand dollars spent, a forum helped me solve my problem for 10 bucks and 15 minutes of my time so I feel compelled to return the favor by posting my fix. I bought my 03 galant from my cousin with 82000 miles and regardless of being meticolously maintained, it had a blown tranny. The infamous F4A51 which goes at 80000 because of the two piece wave spring. I had rebuilt by a reputable shop because since I got it cheap I didn't mind spending the money for a job well done. When I got it back the shift from 2nd to 3rd would snap your neck back. Convinced they did something wrong and I had a year warranty I took it back and left it a few days while searched for the problem and I always got it back the same. They sent it to the dealership at their expense and nothing. This happened 7 times. I finally gave up thinking they screwed me and got used to driving with the hard shift. I would lift off the gas pedal for 3rd gear and drove it that way for a year although I never stopped searching for the problem. Last night while researching I found a guy with an accord in another forum complaining about the same exact issues and he said it ended up being the mass air flow meter/sensor. Well this morning I went to my local junkyard and picked 1 out and changed right there in the parking lot because if it didn't work I was going to return it right there on the spot. Well low and behold the heavens opened up and I had smooth shifts!!!!
    What the hell does the mass air flow meter have to do with the transmission you say? Well apparently the tranny computer uses the reading from the maf meter to determine transmission shifting pressures and if its getting wrong readings it's feeding wrong pressures. Mind you NOT ONCE did I ever have a check engine light for a faulty maf. NOT ONCE!!! Apparently unless it's completely inoperative it's not going to give you a check engine light, but it can be faulty and still work although inaccurate info is being given. I hope this helps someone that's going crazy right now because Im a big guy but I literally feel lighter now.

427dontplay
    So this is my first time writing in a forum. After a years worth of headaches and stress from dealership, transmission shop and countless random shops and over a thousand dollars spent, a forum helped me solve my problem for 10 bucks and 15 minutes of my time so I feel compelled to return the favor by posting my fix. I bought my 03 galant from my cousin with 82000 miles and regardless of being meticolously maintained, it had a blown tranny. The infamous F4A51 which goes at 80000 because of the two piece wave spring. I had rebuilt by a reputable shop because since I got it cheap I didn't mind spending the money for a job well done. When I got it back the shift from 2nd to 3rd would snap your neck back. Convinced they did something wrong and I had a year warranty I took it back and left it a few days while searched for the problem and I always got it back the same. They sent it to the dealership at their expense and nothing. This happened 7 times. I finally gave up thinking they screwed me and got used to driving with the hard shift. I would lift off the gas pedal for 3rd gear and drove it that way for a year although I never stopped searching for the problem. Last night while researching I found a guy with an accord in another forum complaining about the same exact issues and he said it ended up being the mass air flow meter/sensor. Well this morning I went to my local junkyard and picked 1 out and changed right there in the parking lot because if it didn't work I was going to return it right there on the spot. Well low and behold the heavens opened up and I had smooth shifts!!!!
    What the hell does the mass air flow meter have to do with the transmission you say? Well apparently the tranny computer uses the reading from the maf meter to determine transmission shifting pressures and if its getting wrong readings it's feeding wrong pressures. Mind you NOT ONCE did I ever have a check engine light for a faulty maf. NOT ONCE!!! Apparently unless it's completely inoperative it's not going to give you a check engine light, but it can be faulty and still work although inaccurate info is being given. I hope this helps someone that's going crazy right now because Im a big guy but I literally feel lighter now.

Bumped a very old thread, But if you ask me good piece of advice im gonna definetly keep it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Bumped a very old thread, But if you ask me good piece of advice im gonna definetly keep it in mind.
    If you look at it this way at least he searched and he didnt post a new thread on an old subject.You know what i mean.

Experienced TGC Member
    There is actually a TSB from Mitsubishi for a 2-3 Shift flare...

TSB-05-23-004REVII

Affected Vehicles;
    1997−02 Mirage
    2001−04 Diamante
    1999−05 Galant
    2000−05 Eclipse
    2001−05 Eclipse Spyder
    2002−05 Lancer
    2004 Lancer Sportback Wagon
    2003−05 Outlander
    2004−05 Endeavor

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member
    Should also mention the "transmission computer is your PCM, which also is one unit with your engine controls

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    If you look at it this way at least he searched and he didnt post a new thread on an old subject.You know what i mean.
    Oh yea, I was merely saying it was worth the bump on an old thread.

Icon8 2000 galant wont upshift. plz help

I have a 2000 automatic 2.4 galant it will only drive in first gear then when its time to upshift it will jus increase rpm. does anyone know the issue