The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PROBLEMS WITH 205/40/17 TIRES ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

PROBLEMS WITH 205/40/17 TIRES ???

OK ....well i just got my rims on yesterday 8) .... hmmm .... nice.... except i hate the big ass space in the front end :cry: .... i wanted the thin tires.... i got em ....... my cuzin says it is easy to dent your rim with those tires :? .... the size that i have ... the 205/40/17 he says i should get a 215/40/17 instead. ...... does anyone have 205/40/17 and experience any probs ? :? becaus i know i can feel the difference! :? :? also... does anyone have pics of their 8G with 17" and the 205 tires with no drop..... and with drop ? cuz i am gonna drop mine in two weeks... and i want to know what to look foward to ........... 8) thanks for your help guys !!!!!

[i][b]<span style='color:violet'>"Im in the building and im feeling like yeeeeee"</span>

akiraflux
    205 is the width...not the height. the only way to get rid of the gap is to drop it.

dza
    It all depends on how/where you drive. Dont run over pot holes and curbs and you shouldn't dent your rims.

going up to 215 would increase the height as well. but, not by much. The actual height would only go up .2" in profile. The total tire height would only go up .3"... You'd be decreasing wheel gap by just over .1" and you wont be eliminating getting your wheels dented.

does the 215 get a smoother ride ? because ive noticed a big difference on how rough...but still smooth it is when i drive

[i][b]<span style='color:violet'>"Im in the building and im feeling like yeeeeee"</span>

akiraflux
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRtHeRnCaLiStYLe
    does the 215 get a smoother ride ? because ive noticed a big difference on how rough...but still smooth it is when i drive
    the wider the tires the better the grip and handling. stock is 195...even going to just 205 you'll notice a huge difference in handling (i know i did!)

to protect yourself from potholes you should've gotten 215/45/17

well i might go in and get the 215 today .... the guy told me i would be able to switch tires if i decided that was what i wanted ...... but only today .... so i am gonna see what hapens .... yah i notice the difference...

dza
    doubt you'll notice a difference in how smooth it is. it'll be just as loud and just as rough between those two tire sizes.

and yea, i had 215/45/17's once... never had a problem with denting my rims.

akiraflux
    Quote Originally Posted by dza
    doubt you'll notice a difference in how smooth it is. it'll be just as loud and just as rough between those two tire sizes.
    i think smooth might be the wrong word we're both using. it's definately a nicer ride with a wider tire...but yah.

dza
    actually, i'm just talking about stock tires compared to most performance tires there is going to be more road noise and its going to be a touch less smooth of a ride. I like it better, so i think its better. since dude already went for performance tires I was just saying that it wont make much of a difference now.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    just get the widest thinnest tire you can. performance will be the best it can. if ur not gonna be goin around the sharp bends every weekend, then get the 45s for better comfort but less performance.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

thanks for the help guys... it is hard being a girl and not really being able to understand all that car talk ! lol ! but with help i do

thanks for the help guys... it is hard being a girl and not really being able to understand all that car talk ! lol ! but with help i do
    waaaiiittt, your a girl? if i would've known i would've written more and put effort into it

fucked up thing is, i'm serious.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    waaaiiittt, your a girl? if i would've known i would've written more and put effort into it

fucked up thing is, i'm serious.
    This man is a paradigm of how leg-humping is possible in any situation, even over the internet.

About tires...wider is generally better, to a certain extent. If you go too wide on stock rims, you will have, for lack of a better term, "hang over." Basically the "mounting" part of your tire will be pulled inward, leaving a much fatter section at top than at bottom. This adds to diewall flex, which reduces stability and consistency through turns. This effect is amplified if you have too wide of a tire with too high aspect ratio tire

quick explanation of a tire's "code"

example tire code: 215/45ZR-15

first number (215): tire's width, not including any raised lettering or sidewall markings, in millimeters.

second number (45): "aspect ratio" of the tire...it expresses the tire's height in mm as a percentage of it's width. for example, this tire is 45% of 215 mm tall

1st letter (Z): Speed rating of the tire. These range from S to W, I believe. this is the max speed a tire should be taken to. Z basically means 149mph and over, while W and Y are certified up to 186mph

2nd letter ®: Denotes whether the tire is a Radial Ply ® or Bias Ply ( tire

3rd number (15): Wheel size the tire is to be mounted on in inches.

Senior TGC Member
    And thinner is not always better. There's an optimal point. The BMW 3 series uses 4 inch sidewalls which has been shown to be just about the best.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoRtHeRnCaLiStYLe)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for the help guys... it is hard being a girl and not really being able to understand all that car talk ! lol ! but with help i do Â*:D</div>

fucked up thing is, i'm serious.</div>
    This man is a paradigm of how leg-humping is possible in any situation, even over the internet.
    </div>

wanna start some shit???

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>wanna start some shit??? Â*</div>
    Bring it on. :twisted:

BXNYMitsu01
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoRtHeRnCaLiStYLe)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for the help guys... it is hard being a girl and not really being able to understand all that car talk ! lol ! but with help i do Â*:D</div>

fucked up thing is, i'm serious.</div>
    </div>

</div>

Re: PROBLEMS WITH 205/40/17 TIRES ???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoRtHeRnCaLiStYLe)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK ....well i just got my rims on yesterday 8) Â*.... hmmm .... nice.... except i hate the big ass space in the front end :cry: .... Â*i wanted the thin tires.... i got em Â*:) ....... my cuzin says it is easy to dent your rim with those tires :? .... the size that i have ... the 205/40/17 Â* he says i should get a 215/40/17 instead. ...... does anyone have 205/40/17 and experience any probs ? :? Â*becaus i know i can feel the difference! Â*:? Â*:? Â*also... does anyone have pics of their 8G with 17" and the 205 tires with no drop..... and with drop ? Â*cuz i am gonna drop mine in two weeks... and i want to know what to look foward to ........... 8) thanks for your help guys !!!!!</div>

Get 225/45-17s or 215/50-17s

Anyother size is way off what should be on the car, not to mention having the wrong size tires will throw off your speedometer and odometer.

Re: PROBLEMS WITH 205/40/17 TIRES ???

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Get 225/45-17s or 215/50-17s

Anyother size is way off what should be on the car, not to mention having the wrong size tires will throw off your speedometer and odometer.
    those may be too wide for her rims. How wide are your rims? Wider is better, to a certain extent. See my and Auto-9's posts above.
    You're better off matching the tread width (first number) to you rim and then pick an aspect ratio based on your preferences/performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast