The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Check Engine Light

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    Zander

Check Engine Light

ok well I have a 95 modle and the CEL has come on, I took it to autozone the guy pluged the little computer thing in under my dash and it would not give him a reading. He told me that it was just a dummy plug that they didn't start putting that system on the cars till 96, So my question is how eles or what is the other way to find out why the CEL is on.

Take it to a mechanic at a real shop or bite the bullet and go to the dealer. Those guys at Pep Boys or Autozone dont always have a clue! I always get a second opinion when it comes to my car. No matter what you are gonna have to spend money but might as well find out what is exactly wrong with the car rather than trying to fix stuff that either doesnt need to be fixed or just wont correct the problem!

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Zander
    Well I got down and look under the dash at the plug and it does have wires coming out of it so there for which it does do something but just what?????????????????????anybody know ...

Zander
    Is there a possibilty that it has a OBDI system in it?????

brandon
    I believe manybrews said that all 95 Galants were OBDII but forget for sure...

Found it:

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    On Board Diagnostics, version 1 and 2.

all galants from 94 on up are OBD2.
    all cars HAD to be by 96.
    most were by 95.

Zander
    every time I run the ODBII it won't give me a reading just keeps saying error I really don't know what to do.

I just removed my light yesterday. I was surprised to find out that the instrument cluster can be removed in like 2 minutes. My check engine light came on at 83,000 miles and now I'm at 178,000 miles and have been annoyed by that light long enough!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IHateMyGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just removed my light yesterday. Â*I was surprised to find out that the instrument cluster can be removed in like 2 minutes. Â*My check engine light came on at 83,000 miles and now I'm at 178,000 miles and have been annoyed by that light long enough!</div>
    um, youve driven 100000 miles without having the problem diagnosed and fixed?

the light comes on for almost 100 different reasons, and a lot of them can lead to running problems and/or poor milage.
    having it fixed would be a LOT better idea.

The dealer said it was a bad O2 sensor. Had it changed and the light came back soon after. The car runs fine and this dealer has taken enough of my money so I just lived with it.

Ok this is what i heard the CEL is bacisly emmissions wise problems, and as to scanning a 94, 95 G which come wiht OBDii all the have to do is turn the key on n off. Something like that might want to turn it on again if that dont work... n so on. Or just take a DMM plug the positive lead to #1 and negative to #4 and hope you can see the numbers that r flashing by.
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!