The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G (98 Specific) How to: Install an SAFC/SAFCII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

7G (98 Specific) How to: Install an SAFC/SAFCII

Caution: This is for instructions on how to install an SAFC on a 98 specific Galant. I am pretty sure 96-98 had the same ECU so you will have to check your wiring before you start splicing. I am in no way respoinsible if you screw something up.

Skill Level: 3
    No real car knowledge is needed for this isntall. Pretty much just finding the ECU and tapping a few wires. MOST of you could do this.

Well I am pretty sure the SAFC and SAFCII wires are the same so here you go. Tools needed:

Tapping connectors (optional)
    Reg connectors (optional)
    Wire strippers
    Phillips screwdriver
    10mm socket

Alright, the best way to install this is to solder the SAFC wires up to the ECU wires, but I didnt feel like it so I bought some cool tapping connectors at Wal-Mart. They are real easy to use and are not permanent.

Before you touch anything, disconnect your battery.

1) Take off the lower passenger side "kick panel". Its on the passengers side, under the dash, on the center console. There should be two pieces to it, the lower smaller piece and a bigger piece above it. You only need to take off the lower piece as the upper piece will require you to take out your glove box.

2) Locate your ECU. You cant really see it from just looking at it. Its kinda back aways and up a little. Its a silver metal box with 4 connectors going to it. On my car there was a metal bar in the way, making it hard to get to the wires. So I took a 10mm socket and un-bolted the bottum and bent it upwards till it was out of the way.

3) Disconnect the 4 connectors from the ECU. Now there should be 1 white connector below the ECU(not going to the ECU). If you do not disconnect this then you cannot pull the wires out very far.

4) Disconnect the wires from the firewall. They are zip tied to the firewall, I just broke the zip tie.

5) Now pull the wires out as far as they will go and organize the connectors. The biggest connector is the first, 12/13 and 25/26 are the bigger red/black wires, those are your pwr/grnd(See Diagram below)

6) Splice all the wires together as showed in the diagram except follow this diagram on how to hook up your ground and a/f wires(Dont follow the colors of the wires, for that see my diagram).

7) Follow this diagram for the rest of the wiring(I have 2 pwr/grnds, but you only need to hook the SAFC wires to one of them):

Note: My a/f wire was white with a black stripe, the throttle was green w/ black stripe, rpm was white, pwr was a larger red wire, and the ground was a larger black wire.

9) Hook the ECU connectors back up they way they came out. Bend back the bar if you removed the screw, re-install the kick panel.

8) Hook up the SAFC, turn on your car and see if it turns on. Check the voltages and everything through the SAFC and you should be good to go.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    seth...is....the....man................thanks
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    Dude, that totally ROCKS!
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

Mindless
    Good job bro! My S-AFC should be here this week, so thanks for the info.

brandon
    What everyone else said...

So, is there any tutorial you haven't made yet? haha

nice
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

Marine22punksk8

No

Sorry to be so dumb but I have no clue what any of this is? So if you could tell me what this will do to my '98 galant. I would appreciate it so I can do it. Thanks

Kinda like I need a book on modifing your 7G Galant for Dummies.

brandon
    It's a tuning tool.

For more info visit:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp

Re: No

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marine22punksk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry to be so dumb but I have no clue what any of this is? So if you could tell me what this will do to my '98 galant. I would appreciate it so I can do it. Thanks

Kinda like I need a book on modifing your 7G Galant for Dummies.</div>

it wont do anything unless youve done mods, mods like cam and cam gear, turbo, bigger injectors. basically allows you to change the fuel curve at all rpms.
    7g for life!

brandon
    Hey Seth,

Where did you mount your AFC?

same place as 2true did for now, right above the HVAC controls. Havent driven my car in a week though, and probably will not keep it there...
    7g for life!

brandon
    NOTE: If you have a 96, the pinouts are numbered differently, but located in the same spots.

Also, make sure when you're looking at the diagram you match it up correctly to the harnesses/pinouts. It's common sense but after a few beers you convince yourself things are right when they're really not. haha (explanation in separate post)

Is there any way someone can rehost the pictures for me? I am just getting red Xs.

Thanks
    You can keep your looks, I'll keep my speed

8G_GTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDsuperstar
    Is there any way someone can rehost the pictures for me? I am just getting red Xs.

Thanks
    same, i really need to hook mine up. that'd be great seth. thanks

steve

Im not sure if I have the pics anymore or not. I will have to look around on my PC after I get off work. Steve, I can help you hook yours up when I get down to STL one of these days...
    7g for life!

8G_GTZ
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im not sure if I have the pics anymore or not. Â*I will have to look around on my PC after I get off work. Â*Steve, I can help you hook yours up when I get down to STL one of these days...</div>

when is that seth? seriously.....but i was offered $50 to put it in by a guy i work with at Adrenaline outside of work because Adrenaline does it for 100. please come by soon, i want to hear that bitch runnin. andi got my new tires so my front isn't steelies anymore.

steve

brandon
    Yikes. $50 to connect a few wires? Go to the dealer and get the printout and you'll be good to go.

Turbo Snail
    Does this controller make a big difference in performance? I am very interested in purchasing one.

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Snail
    Does this controller make a big difference in performance? I am very interested in purchasing one.
    Assuming you have a JDM turbo 7G, it could make a difference if you get it tuned properly. By itself you will not see gains.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    For those like myself that don't know much about safc
    http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-SAFC.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast