The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lower/ Sway my 8th Gen,

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    2003g

Lower/ Sway my 8th Gen,

Im looking for some input on puting sway bars on my 8th gen 2003 4cyl. Galant. I dont really know which route to take, I'm not really interested in lowering the car a lot. Im looking for better handling in turns etc, with some lowering of course.

Have you Galant owners come across this? BTW I have the stock wheels on, I think they are stock mitsu 15" rims not hub caps.

Sway bars and struts? and brand preference? Any shock or spring preference?

Thanks in advance..

ok first off, the only sway bars available (that will fit) are for the 3G eclipse ('00+) and are made by SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES. we share the same suspension components w/ the elcipse. there is a jacking point on the 8G galant that needs to b pounded out of the way or cut for the rear to fit. now that you know that read this:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE([url=http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3gsuspension.htm)</div><div class='quotemain'>ROAD RACE ENGINEERING[/url]]Suspension Techniques Rear Sway Bar... This rear sway will make your car handle better by making it more "neutral". Stock, the factory gives you a car that "understeers" some. When you have the car all leaned over at the limits of adhesion, the front tires have a little less grip. The front end "pushes" some and does not turn enough. From instinct, you let off the gas because the car is not turning enough. This makes the weight transfer to the front of the car. The front end gets a little more grip and the rear a little less, your car rotates and you make the corner fine. All is good. Â*

All is good except this is not the fast way to drive, having to let of the gas to make the car turn. It would be much faster around a corner if you could keep a nice steady throttle through the corner, gradually feeding in more throttle as you pass the apex and straighten out. The car would drift all four wheels evenly. Nice small inputs from the throttle transfer weight to the front or rear depending on where you want the car to be. A little more gas transfers the weight to the rear and the car goes wide, let off slightly and it sharpens up the corner. Â*This is a neutral handling car. By installing a thicker rear sway bar (and leaving the front bar stock) you will make the car more neutral.

The down side, you need to be careful of what you wish for. If your car is nice and neutral, when you chop off the throttle suddenly the car can kick the tail out. The ST rear bar is made with a street car in mind. It is not a crazy stiff bar, it is even adjustable. There are 2 adjustment positions. It will make the car more neutral though and you need to keep this in mind. Â*If you add a front bar, the car will corner flatter and give you a false sense of better handling. Also the bigger front bar will lift the inside front Â*tire when cornering hard. This will give you less traction just when you need it most. We do not offer a front sway bar...</div>

2003g
    thanks for the helpful info, appreciate it :-)