The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Galant Brakes Suck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 30 of 30
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ESdriver00)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't even finish reading the rest of the post, but how about steel braided brake lines with pads and rotors, that should make a big difference.</div>

Right. That's the concensus on a fix, lol. Go aftermarket!

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

LatinGalant
    I have read every body's post and yes I had a 2000 Honda civic and I had 54,000 on the car at time of trade in and did not have to deal with the brakes even one time and I raced the hell out of that car. Next I also went through the rotor turning game of turning the rotors until one day they said the warranty does not cover it anymore. Point blank the brakes are crappy this is a family sedan I don't race this car and have always gone easy on the brakes since it's new but guess what they don't work it's unsafe and it's a pain that for 21,000 car I should not deal with. I will be going and purchasing aftermarket brakes and if anybody can help me out on where to go I would appreciate it. I am screwed because the car is so new no one has the specs on it and they are different from previous 8g's which I know from the dealer. Agian if anybody can guide me on where to get those drilled brakes I would appreciate it, I don't want to do a conversion or anything of that sort just something that will stop the car and not warp every 1,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by 7h3_wh173_kn16h7
    ok..i am confused here...do u have to change the rotor also if your car is shaking when braking?? gee how much would it cost???
    should i try tirerack??
    you don't have to change the rotor. uhm if the shaking is due to the rotors being warped, u can try getting them turned as a good temporary fixed but in the end, ur gonna have to get new rotors anyways. as for which ones to get, there are a wide variety of them to get. just shop around and ur bound to find hte perfect match

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Galant_01
    There is a Class Action Lawsuit filed by the law firms Kimmel & Silverman, P.C.; Sheller, Ludwig & Badey P.C.; and Mehri, Malkin and Ross all for defective breaks on 1999-2002 Mitsubishi Galants braking systems. For more info go to http://www.lemonlaw.com/galant.html

1999 MITSUBISHI GALANT OWNERS SUFFER CONSISTENT BRAKE DEFECTS; CLASS ACTION SUIT FILED

Papers Served To Mitsubishi Counsel Today

November 1, 2000 (Marlton, NJ)-The law firms of Kimmel & Silverman, P.C.; Sheller, Ludwig & Badey P.C.; and Mehri, Malkin and Ross have filed a class action suit against Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc. and Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc., alleging brake defects in 1999 Mitsubishi Galant Models. Court papers were served to Mitsubishi's legal counsel today.

According to documents filed in the Superior Court of New Jersey Law Division, Camden County, the 1999 Galant was manufactured with a brake defect, which results in premature wear of the front brake rotors. This defect causes the brakes to grind and requires continuous replacement of the brake pads and rotors.

Jersey City resident Isam Haddadin is the lead plaintiff on behalf of the class. In court papers, Haddadin alleges that his 1999 Galant, originally purchased in September 1999, has been returned to the dealership repeatedly to remedy the braking problem. On each occasion, the dealer finds the brake components to be defective and replaces them under warranty provisions, only to have the problem return within a few thousand miles. Mr. Hadaddin's complaint alleges that the same defects exist in all 1999 Galants, estimating that the problem affects several thousand Galants in New Jersey, and tens of thousands nationally.

Haddadin claims that his car often vibrates, the brakes grind when pushed down, and he has to step on the brake several seconds before preparing to stop. "This car has caused a great deal of aggravation to me and my family and I am hoping that by filing this case, Mitsubishi will finally address our concern," said Haddadin. "I don't want other people to have to go through the same problems we have."

"We have seen the 1999 Galant brake problem with alarming regularity," said co-counsel Craig Thor Kimmel of Kimmel and Silverman, P.C., "The cases share a nearly identical fact pattern of brake rotor repairs being performed every 3,000-5,000 miles. Rotors will normally last 50,000 miles or more. When they reach the point of needing replacement, the ability to stop the car is diminished. "

Owners and lessees of 1999 Mitsubishi Galants models who would like more information on this class action can log onto www.lemonlaw.com or contact Craig Thor Kimmel at 1-800-Lemon-Law (800-536-6652) or via e-mail at [email protected].

Since 1991 Kimmel & Silverman, P.C. (www.lemonlaw.com) has grown to become the nation's largest lemon law firm, handling approximately one in four cases filed across the nation. To date, Kimmel & Silverman has represented more than 12,000 individual consumer claims, exclusive of class actions, in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, making the firm the largest practice of its sort in the United States. Each of the nine attorneys employed at the firm share the partners' drive and determination to achieve the best results for their clients and expand the rights of consumers.

Sheller Ludwig and Badey, P.C. (www.sheller.com) focuses primarily on the representation of individuals and classes in cases regarding defective products, unfair business practices and injuries resulting from medical treatment. The Firm is currently lead counsel in several nationwide class actions.

LatinGalant
    I gave up on trying to fight the brakes situation. What I would like to know is if anybody knows who sells brake rotors and pads preferably a fair priced crossed drill rotor for a 2002 mitsu galant w/abs. I can't even get my rotors turned by anybody other than mitsubishi because nobody else has the specs yet. I would appreciate any help with the aftermarket brake issue. Thanks

check out the main page: www.TheGalantCenter.com enough info should be there.

I've never had problems with my brakes. Never had them turned either. At 43,000 miles I had the pads changed for the 1st time at Brake Masters. They carry a lifetime guarantee on the pads, so the next time I need to get the pads changed, I'll just pay for the labor, $48 for the front and around $60 or $70 for the back.

It was funny though, the manager was telling me that if I went cross drilled or slotted, that those are more prone to cracking and then when I needed to get them resurfaced, I would have to go to a specialty shop. Brake Masters does not deal with cross drilled or slotted rotors. This got me thinking, has anyone else heard of this? It definately persuaded me away from these type of rotors. Yeah, they look really good but if I have to go someone else (that I normally wouldn't go to) for the resurface or they start to crack, then forget it.

I was going to buy these cross drilled/slotted rotors on Ebay (under an Eclipse ad) and they even had a picture of someone else's drilled rotor, close up, with a crack coming out of one of the holes. Supposedly theirs do not crack. I tried searching for their auction under completed but it's been too long now.

Ok, here's a little negative information I found on cross drilled rotors: http://www.shotimes.com/brakes/part2.html

** Edit **

I've been reading up on cross drilled rotors and it seems that there are lot of cracked rotors after 12 to 15K miles. I also saw some info that the slotted rotors would be a better alternative BUT both crossdrilled or slotted rotors cause your pads to wear faster. I'm only guessing that these type of rotors were made for the track and not necessarily for daily use.

BTW - get ceramic pads if you don't want the brake squeal.

halfpt4
    I'VE had problems with my brakes from day 1 of owing my car.I was told give the brakes 1000 miles 2 break in ad every thing would be fine.SO after a 1000 miles same problem.i had the rotors cut ,resurfed(sp),replaced all in a matter of 2 weeks.they said they came out with new "caliper slides" what ever that is. about 30000 miles later same problem they r full of s__t.

LatinGalant
    Well I decided that I am going to go with Brembo Rotors (not slotted or crossdrilled) I am now convinced that they are going to give me problems. And then I am going with Ceramic pads from the tirerack. I forgot where I am order the Rotors from there half off normal price so I will keep everybody updated. I am hoping to get them delivered this weekend and have them installed by two weeks. My car is going to get me killed I am stopping about 6 miles ahead of time vibrating all the way to the light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12