The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Check Engine light... Damn I hate this one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31
    Rasko Da Gama

Check Engine light... Damn I hate this one!

I don't think it's that serious problem, but for last several weeks my Check Engine Light came on a few times. It happened when I was driving normaly, when the car was wormed up, and it came on just for few seconds...
    I don't have any problems with car though... But that is really pain in the ass RED light - that I wan't to see just when I start the car and not when I drive it :evil:

In the morning when I go to job, and the car is not wormed up it doesn't have as much power as when it is wormed up. Sometimes when It is steel not wormed up I trie to push gas pedal to the end (in the 2-nd gear usually) and I hear some strange sound - like "BOOM" underneath the car :shock: It felted like the ignition is not as it should be...

Is it possible that I see this Check engine light becouse of that? It comes on once in 10 days maybe for few seconds...
    What coud it be? I already changed termostat valve when I got a new radiator... :?

Any help or advice from you buddies would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Rasko Da Gama
    Anyone? :cry: Please...

Kenn-Inn? :oops:

JF
    i've had the same problem since i bought my car a year and a half ago. every now and then the check engine light just blinks on goes off, comes back on for a second a week later, then maybe the next day too....very sporatic. now i have a huge problem with my ignition system....not getting any spark. coil is still good, my mechanic says it is a module under the distributor.....so there i am....trying to find that stupid thing without paying 800 from the dealer for the whole dist..... fun stuff. (personaly i think it is the ecu/ecm....but then agian what do i know)

ken inn
    not sure, but i dont think the system will store a code unless the ce lite is on. you can rig up a simple buzzer and jump the diagnostic connectors to get the code when the ce lite comes on, but if it is only on intermittenly, it will be hard to get. my guess would be oxygen sensor, when they start to go, the ce lite will come on momentarily, then go off. it will do this more and more frequently, and for longer duration as the sensor dies. also, it could do this if you got leaded gas. or, your car dont have an oxygen sensor, in which case disregard this. you should check all the connectors and grounds to start, sometimes an intermittend connector, or a bad ground will trigger the ce lite. as the cars get older, the ground, especially to the motor, can get less because of oxidation.

Rasko Da Gama
    Quote Originally Posted by ken inn
    not sure, but i dont think the system will store a code unless the ce lite is on. you can rig up a simple buzzer and jump the diagnostic connectors to get the code when the ce lite comes on, but if it is only on intermittenly, it will be hard to get. my guess would be oxygen sensor, when they start to go, the ce lite will come on momentarily, then go off. it will do this more and more frequently, and for longer duration as the sensor dies. also, it could do this if you got leaded gas. or, your car dont have an oxygen sensor, in which case disregard this. you should check all the connectors and grounds to start, sometimes an intermittend connector, or a bad ground will trigger the ce lite. as the cars get older, the ground, especially to the motor, can get less because of oxidation.
    OK, I'll check that out - thanx a lot for help

marktheblake
    My Check engine light used to come up often, then it mysteriously stops doing it again. this has happened a couple of times over 5 years. I asked my mechanic and he said he didnt know, and recommended a Mitsubishi service centre.

from reading the manuals, it seemed the warning light has something to do with Emission controls (from memory), and therefore not the end of the world.

ken inn
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'>My Check engine light used to come up often, Â*then it mysteriously stops doing it again. Â* this has happened a couple of times over 5 years. Â* I asked my mechanic and he said he didnt know, and recommended a Mitsubishi service centre.

from reading the manuals, it seemed the warning light has something to do with Emission controls (from memory), and therefore not the end of the world.</div>

wrong. the ecu is continuosly monitoring certain functions and sensors. if one of these are not within certain parameters, the ecu will turn on the ce lite, and a code is stored. if, after a certain time, it comes back into spec, it can reset the code. for example, o2. if the sensor is not able to cycle within a certain time, the ecu will disregard it's output, and refer back to set factory fuel/timing maps. the ce lite comes on, and if the sensor is able to return back to withing operating parameters, the ce lite will go out. whenever a ce lite comes on, you should always check to see if a code has been stored. sometimes, it will affect long term running. referring back to the o2 sensor again, if it fails, the car will probably use factory fuel maps that are richer, so your fuel economy will suffer.

I had a broken ECU around christmas last year. And near the end of August my CE light came on for about 10 minutes and it went out again. Never say the light again since....
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi Hatchback *SOLD*
    2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'> Â*
    wrong..... Â* Â*whenever a ce lite comes on, you should always check to see if a code has been stored. </div>

Thanks for the info. How does one check to see if a code has been stored?

This is what my Owners Manual says about this Check Engine light.
    "if it lights up when the engine is running, there is a problem in the emission control system. Contact the nearest authorised Mitsubishi Dealer"

Are you saying that is a load of bull? or is your explanation just an enhanced version of that?

what does ECU mean? could be Engine check unit, or Emmission Control Unit i guess.

stuVr4
    my computer went out a moth ago so i threw down $600 to replace it and then my Check Engine light came on. i asked some car guyes and they said unplug your battery for like 10minutes so i did and the light was no more.

okay, lets straighten a few things out here.

the check engine light is indeed there to illuminate if ANYTHING causes the emission levels to rise. thats why it was created, and what its purpose is.
    however, many things that cause the emission levels to rise are also quite damaging to your cars engine, so just ignoring it is a terrible idea, especially on a 94 or newer with OBD2 (as compared to this car, which is OBD1).

anyway, there is going to be a code stored. pull it, and begin diagnosing from there. if no codes are present, I will bet money on a ECM that is beginning to fail (probably from a leaky capacitor).

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>anyway, there is going to be a code stored. Â*pull it, and begin diagnosing from there. Â*.</div>

well thats easy for you to say :-)

What does "pull it" mean and how does one read the codes. Last time i looked there wasnt a 4" colour monitor in there. :-)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'>What does "pull it" Â*mean and how does one read the codes. Â*Last time i looked there wasnt a 4" colour monitor in there. :-)</div>Sounds like you got the cheap version, mine has a 16/9 high definition TFT screen. :-P :-P :-P
    [/bullshit]

ken inn
    first off, i dont know if non usa cars have the same diagnostics as usa cars. next to the fuse box inside the car is a diagnostic plug socket. a simple reader can be a buzzer or a lite, then connect it to the proper pins in the socket.

http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html

look under "electrical", then "retrieving diagnostic error codes"-it will then tell you where, what, and how. to reset, you need to remove power from the ecu for 30 seconds. the best way for this, again, on usa cars, is to pull the main cabin fuse, lower right corner of the fusebox, wait 30 seconds, then reinstall. this will erase ecu memory and stored codes. the car may not idle correctly for a bit, because it has to "relearn" the idle characteristics. if code 44 appears, you probably have a whacked ecu.

marktheblake
    Thanks Ken, found the socket for reading the codes. In fact a couple of days ago i was looking at that socket and wondering what the heck it was for.

seems that the only difference between the US cars and other markets is that our steering wheels etc are on the correct side.

bluedraco
    ohhhhh, let's see if there's any bites on that bait ("steering wheel on correct side")!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>ohhhhh, let's see if there's any bites on that bait ("steering wheel on correct side")!

Â* Â*</div>[biting bait]
    Left hand side is the correct side you moron! :-P
    [/biting bait]

J apmetal
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>[biting bait]
    [/biting bait]</div>

Then how come ours are on the RIGHT side

bluedraco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>[biting bait]
    [/biting bait]</div>

Then how come ours are on the RIGHT side </div>

exactly, the *right* side 8)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>[biting bait]
    [/biting bait]</div>Then how come ours are on the RIGHT side </div>Why do you think I use the term 'correct' instead of 'right'. :-P

But you also drive on de wrong side of the road, we drive on the 'RIGHT' side. :-P :-P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast