The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Interested in 8G Need Some Information

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Moosh

Interested in 8G Need Some Information

Hey guys. I've been reading through the 8G forums as long as I've owned a 7G. Anyway, I am going to sell my 7G and save up some money during the next few months. I am pretty interested in the V6 Galant only. I am drivig my uncles Dodge Intrepid 3.5 Liter V6 beast, and I like the power of V6. I was actually thinking of getting a 1G DSM, but they are all really old and have annoying problems that come with them. 2G DSMs are kinda expensive and are destined to have crankwalk. The Galant 8G however has a V6, four doors, has a nice interior etc.

I am really interested in the Galant GTZ, however they have an MSRP of like $24,500!!!! So even the 1999 models sell for like $10,000. I was wondering if someone could answer these questions:

1) Whats the speed like on your V6 8G? Does the weight of the 8G bog it down or is it pretty good? If you were to compare the speed of an 8G V6 to another car, which car would it be?
    2) Is there anything special about the GTZ over the ES and LS besides it comes stock with a lot more things that are optional on the ES & LS?
    3) I read about screwed up glove compartments and nasty smelling air conditioners on the 8G boards, is there anything else I should check for before I buy an 8G if I do buy one?

Thanks

Senior TGC Member

Re: Interested in 8G Need Some Information

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) Whats the speed like on your V6 8G? Does the weight of the 8G bog it down or is it pretty good? If you were to compare the speed of an 8G V6 to another car, which car would it be?
    2) Is there anything special about the GTZ over the ES and LS besides it comes stock with a lot more things that are optional on the ES & LS?
    3) I read about screwed up glove compartments and nasty smelling air conditioners on the 8G boards, is there anything else I should check for before I buy an 8G if I do buy one?</div>

1) The speed of the V6 is decent. It's not lightning, but it's fairly brisk. The weight, gear ratio, and the automatic tranny is what holds up the acceleration. Comparing to another car I'd say it's slower than the V6 Camry but quicker than the V6 Intrepid. In other words, about 8 seconds in the 0-60 and between 16 and 17 seconds in the quarter mile.

2) The GTZ comes with everything, the only option that I know of is the rear spoiler from 02 onwards. It has a sports tuned suspension along with everything the LS has.

3) The air conditioning smell happens to almost any car. The glove box rattle is apparently fixed in later models. There's nothing that sticks out in my mind about what to look for, but remember that our cars rattle like crazy, some have a sunroof cover that slides on its own, and many have brake discs prone to warping.

Personally, however, I'd say just stay away from the Galant.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

8ggalant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey guys. I've been reading through the 8G forums as long as I've owned a 7G. Anyway, I am going to sell my 7G and save up some money during the next few months. I am pretty interested in the V6 Galant only. I am drivig my uncles Dodge Intrepid 3.5 Liter V6 beast, and I like the power of V6. I was actually thinking of getting a 1G DSM, but they are all really old and have annoying problems that come with them. 2G DSMs are kinda expensive and are destined to have crankwalk. The Galant 8G however has a V6, four doors, has a nice interior etc. Â*

I am really interested in the Galant GTZ, however they have an MSRP of like $24,500!!!! So even the 1999 models sell for like $10,000. I was wondering if someone could answer these questions:

1) Whats the speed like on your V6 8G? Does the weight of the 8G bog it down or is it pretty good? If you were to compare the speed of an 8G V6 to another car, which car would it be?
    3) I read about screwed up glove compartments and nasty smelling air conditioners on the 8G boards, is there anything else I should check for before I buy an 8G if I do buy one?

Thanks</div>

well first lemme say thanks for keepin it in the family...i personally would rather have a 7g...wannna trade :twisted: ...but anyway ...i have a i4 and its ok,,,imo the i4 engine is not powerful enuf for the 8g...there4 the v6 would be a better choice ....down points of a 8g...tranny only comes in automatic...other than that i think u'll love ther car..i cant remember top speed for a v6 but ive taken my 8g past 120 with a little pedal left...other occouring problems 8g's have are bad rotors and a faulty glovebox..i thnk i answered all yer ?'s other than top speed of a v6...cuz i dont own 1...as 4 the diff with gtz and es or lsv6's...it juss comes with more stuff...but the suspension is slightly better than the es and ls...hope i was of some assistance

Sammy_ES

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>however they have an MSRP of like $24,500!!!!</div>

Keep in mind that Mitsubishi usually has a 0% interest or $X,000 discount on new cars. I took the $4,000 manufacturer rebate/$1,000 dealer discount, which got mine into my price range (but mine is an ES i4).

Mitsu runs these specials a lot.

8ggalant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sammy_ES)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>however they have an MSRP of like $24,500!!!!</div>

Keep in mind that Mitsubishi usually has a 0% interest or $X,000 discount on new cars. I took the $4,000 manufacturer rebate/$1,000 dealer discount, which got mine into my price range (but mine is an ES i4).

Mitsu runs these specials a lot.</div>

and its also the end of the model year...and the 04 is a totally diff car....this will also bring the price down

Moosh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) Whats the speed like on your V6 8G? Does the weight of the 8G bog it down or is it pretty good? If you were to compare the speed of an 8G V6 to another car, which car would it be?
    3) I read about screwed up glove compartments and nasty smelling air conditioners on the 8G boards, is there anything else I should check for before I buy an 8G if I do buy one?</div>

1) The speed of the V6 is decent. It's not lightning, but it's fairly brisk. The weight, gear ratio, and the automatic tranny is what holds up the acceleration. Comparing to another car I'd say it's slower than the V6 Camry but quicker than the V6 Intrepid. In other words, about 8 seconds in the 0-60 and between 16 and 17 seconds in the quarter mile.

2) The GTZ comes with everything, the only option that I know of is the rear spoiler from 02 onwards. It has a sports tuned suspension along with everything the LS has.

3) The air conditioning smell happens to almost any car. The glove box rattle is apparently fixed in later models. There's nothing that sticks out in my mind about what to look for, but remember that our cars rattle like crazy, some have a sunroof cover that slides on its own, and many have brake discs prone to warping.

Personally, however, I'd say just stay away from the Galant.</div>

Damn 8 seconds 0-60? 7G Galants with 4 cylinder engines get that same speed. I am DEFINITELY not getting an 8G if the V6 version is just as slow as the 7G I4. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

8ggalant
    sad huh...hahaha...but with a 4k invested u can get almost 300hp to the wheels with a sds...

Experienced TGC Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) Whats the speed like on your V6 8G? Does the weight of the 8G bog it down or is it pretty good? If you were to compare the speed of an 8G V6 to another car, which car would it be?

Damn 8 seconds 0-60? 7G Galants with 4 cylinder engines get that same speed. I am DEFINITELY not getting an 8G if the V6 version is just as slow as the 7G I4. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!</div>

I just raced an 7G yesterday. Trust me the V6 is WAY faster than the i4.

unless you go around racing 0-60 all the time, it doesnt affect the car much. our 8g V6s 3rd gear is awesome. we can pass many cars out there on the highway easily

GTZ comes with everything, as well as white faced gauges, wood trim or CF depending on year, and as mentioned, the sport suspension, giving us a lower ride to begin with, leaving little need to drop it even more. the stock 16 inchers are nice.

faulty areas would be the rotors and the steering wheel vibration at 80+mph. overall, i think you should consider the GTZ. they are somewhat rare and especially rare in certain locations, so if you havent seen a GTZ around you, i would get one!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) Whats the speed like on your V6 8G? Does the weight of the 8G bog it down or is it pretty good? If you were to compare the speed of an 8G V6 to another car, which car would it be?

Damn 8 seconds 0-60? 7G Galants with 4 cylinder engines get that same speed. I am DEFINITELY not getting an 8G if the V6 version is just as slow as the 7G I4. This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!</div>

The 9G is coming out soon, the 8g is selling cheap
    GTZ is listed at 19XXX at carsdirect, and any dealer will be more than happy to match that.

The power of the V6 is adequate. 8 sec is not a fater time for 0-60, but I don't feel slow during acceleration. Anymore horse power (faster 0-60 time) will probably make the car unsafe during high speed maneuvering and cornering, unless a better supension system is installed.
    I feel a little unsecure when I change lane at speed of 80 or so.

24K or a little more can buy you an Altima 3.5SE which is tested with a 0-60 time of 5.9 sec with manual.
    If power is more important than size, I suggest to get the turbo neon
    which is even faster.
    Any you will get the best 0-60 time that 20K to 24K can buy.
    BTW the clutches used to achieve the above 0-60 time will not last very long.
    03 V6 ES
    91 MR2

Moosh
    I'm not going to buy a new car. I was looking at used ones from like 1999 and 2000 so they are around 10K but that is kinda expensive for me so I might look for an ES with most of the options

Looking 4 a 5 seconds 0-60 from a sedan?? Get an Evo! I think the V6 G has a lot more power compared with the I4, but some cars have their problems, the most common for the 8G: front brakes (I-4), glovebox (improved for 02-03), interior rattles (get a good audio system), gas doors falling off (improved for 02-03), and some clogged a/c drains (less common), but I never heard about broken engines or suspensions or things like that. My recommendation, get a GTZ, Im sure you'll love it!! BTW, remember to get a locking gas cap

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...

Moosh
    I don't understand, why do I need a locking gas cap?

Atlanta - shout out to San Pedro and Panama - que sopa!?
    reason for the gas cap lock is up to you. someone on this board had sugar poured into his tank. that'd be a good reason to get one....not to mention that the 8g doesn't have fuel door that locks. you can open it by pushing it w/ your hand....there's no switch to open the fuel door in the car. another option that was overlooked in the 8G.
    2004 Pontiac Grand Am GT // 3.4L V6
    ____

The SPOT!! - - Dirty South Imports

as for the slow 0-60 times... it is not a good comparison for this car (8G V6). it was made for high speed cruising. the gear ratios on the v6 (auto only) are completely too tall for off the line pull. look at the speeds you hit redline in in first and second and even third; 1st - 45mph, 2nd - 80mph, 3 - 110mph! a 5 speed swap from a 3G GT or 3G GTS would make this car much quicker from a stand still... on the other hand, if you lock into 2nd gear and floor it around 60mph then upshift to 3rd just b4 80mph and keep on till 100mph, you will pass almost anything on the freeway... that is where this car's sweet spot is. the other sweet spot is locking into 1st under 25mph and flooring up to 50mph w/ a quick upshift just b4 45mph. at this range the cars is surprisingly quick. but yes from 0-25 the car bogs because of the gearing.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGSHUN
    reason for the gas cap lock is up to you. someone on this board had sugar poured into his tank. that'd be a good reason to get one....not to mention that the 8g doesn't have fuel door that locks. you can open it by pushing it w/ your hand....there's no switch to open the fuel door in the car. another option that was overlooked in the 8G.
    The jackass that had sugar poured into his gas tank should been smarter to begin with and parked it inside the garage. He completly deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    as for the slow 0-60 times... it is not a good comparison for this car (8G V6). it was made for high speed cruising. the gear ratios on the v6 (auto only) are completely too tall for off the line pull. look at the speeds you hit redline in in first and second and even third; 1st - 45mph, 2nd - 80mph, 3 - 110mph! a 5 speed swap from a 3G GT or 3G GTS would make this car much quicker from a stand still... on the other hand, if you lock into 2nd gear and floor it around 60mph then upshift to 3rd just b4 80mph and keep on till 100mph, you will pass almost anything on the freeway... that is where this car's sweet spot is. the other sweet spot is locking into 1st under 25mph and flooring up to 50mph w/ a quick upshift just b4 45mph. at this range the cars is surprisingly quick. but yes from 0-25 the car bogs because of the gearing.
    Im with u :thumbsup:

'00 Patriot Red GTZ --> JDM'ed... 5 Speed... ...