The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: will this engine fit my 93 Galant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

will this engine fit my 93 Galant?

I found this 4G63 turbo engine on ebay this morning. I was just wondering if it will fit in my 6g 93 galant.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33615

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)

J apmetal
    You may have to swap the AWD tranny for a FWD depending on your car, but it should go straight in, since the 6G came with the 4G63 fitted to the GTi/GSX model [maybe some others, but that's not the point !]

Judging from that picture, you'll need to source the ECU to match the engine & maybe a couple of engine mounts, but your engine probably has the mounts you'll need anyway. DEFINATELY track down an ECU before you commit to the engine, you'll need it !! If you run it off a US-turbo ECU then you might want to swap the cyclone intake manifold for the US spec one, since there will be no provision for controlling the 'butterflies' that direct the flow. I've heard of a few people setting up a vacuum system for this, but it sounds like a big pain in the ass for the gains you'll get.

I'm sure if there's anything i've missed someone will be along to add to this in a minute

ken inn
    i have a cyclone intake on my car. i have found it greatly improves driveability, turbo spools a bit quicker, and i get great fuel economy on the freeway. i have the butterflies working using a hobbs pressure switch set to 6 lbs boost, 2 solenoids, one normal open(was the fuel purge) and one normal closed(was boost control) and, most important, the blue/white vacuum cannister. at 1000rpm in 1st gear, i can floor it, and it will pull cleanly to 7k+. i will get full boost(18 lbs) by 3000 rpm, lower in the higher gears. you have to move the coil pack just a tad, or it wont clear the a/c line. you will have to get creative with the ign wires, or get a new set, i got one from kingsborne, ask for the eclipse wire set for the cyclone. if you dont have the blue/white cannister, you will have a very difficult time getting it to work.
    there are several things you are overlooking. first, fuel pump. your stock fuel pump will never supply the fuel. intercooler-you will have to cut up the bumper to get the intercooler to fit, and possibly move the battery. probably you will have to change out the entire engine wiring harness. possibly the front axles. probably the exhaust. the awd flywheel is different from the fwd. lastly, a couple of vr4 owners have the switchable 2wd/4wd trans/xfer setup, and they say in 2wd mode, the car is undriveable because of wheelspin. you probably need an lsd diff, or convert to awd.

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'> you probably need an lsd diff, or convert to awd.</div>

Is it practical to convert a FWD to an AWD?

seems to me that upgrading the old SOHC to a DOHC, it might be easier buying a beat up old VR4, and then transferring all the good panels and interiors and other parts onto the VR4, than vica versa with the working parts. :-)

TGC Regular
    thats a 4g63t

marktheblake
    Does the SOHC engine Galant have exactly the same Chassis as the DOHC Turbo/AWD

A friend of mine suggested that the SOHC to DOHC-T conversion would be difficult to get approvals for because he beleived it was not the same Chassis. In fact he suggests that my car doesnt have a Chassis but rather a 'Subframe'. - Its all greek to me.

He might be wrong, but he is not full of crap, after all he did do rebuild my clutch after it wore out.

J apmetal
    To my knowledge, ALL the Galant shells made at that time were the same, so you should have all the mounting points/transmission tunnel for the 4WD-train, although I agree the swap would be a HUGE pain in the ass simply due to the number of extra components on the 4WD system [the whole rear suspension is also different as it is fully independent]

It should be possible, if you had ALL the parts [a complete donor-car would probably be the safest bet] and you were willing to take the time !

92mpi
    As far as I know, all the 6G galants have the same platforms. All the EFI engines made available are 4G63. The differences are as follows:

1. DOHC 16 Valves Turbo (the engine of the VR4 - 195hp stock)
    2. DOHC 16 Valves N/A ( same as the turbo but with a higher compression ratio - 150hp)
    3. SOHC 8 Valves N/A ( the difference is the cylinder head - 137hp )

All of them have the same enigne block. Therefore, the same mounting.

For installing the EVO engines, I think the only compatible or bolt on engine is the EVO 1 & 2. The rest of the EVO engines have been rotated 180 degrees. If you are looking at the engine bay from the front bumper, the timing belt will be on the left side, whereas our belt are on the right side. Getting parts from a VR4 will be the best solution.

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(92mpi)</div><div class='quotemain'>As far as I know, all the 6G galants have the same platforms. Â*All the EFI engines made available are 4G63. Â*The differences are as follows:

1. Â*DOHC 16 Valves Turbo (the engine of the VR4 - 195hp stock)
    2. Â*DOHC 16 Valves N/A ( same as the turbo but with a higher compression ratio - 150hp)
    3. Â*SOHC 8 Valves N/A ( the difference is the cylinder head - 137hp )

All of them have the same enigne block. Â*Therefore, the same mounting.

For installing the EVO engines, I think the only compatible or bolt on engine is the EVO 1 & 2. Â*The rest of the EVO engines have been rotated 180 degrees. Â*If you are looking at the engine bay from the front bumper, the timing belt will be on the left side, whereas our belt are on the right side. Â*Getting parts from a VR4 will be the best solution.</div>

You are not totally right m8
    I have 2.0L 8Valve SOHC... 110HP Stock

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have 2.0L 8Valve SOHC... 110HP Stock </div>

I dont know how many horses my 2.0 SOHC has, its not written anywhere. We probably dont measure HP's becuase our first settlers drove Galants.

My Critical Data is measureed as :
    Power 77 KW
    Torque 160 Nm
    Weight to Power Ratio 15.84 : 1 kg/kW

Different configs for different markets it seems. i have noticed in New Zealand their Galants are 1.8's. I guess the reason for that is that they need to drive slower over there otherwise they wont have enough room to stop.

bluedraco
    DOHC models here in australia are around 104kw or so...that's 137 or similar HP...no where near 150 (that's for sure)...the SOHC model is 77kw as stated by marktheblake (110hp?)...

92mpi
    Well, it seems different markets have different limitations on the engines. Like emissions control and so on. These affect the performance. Luck us we don't have those kind of performance limiting regulations.

Anyway, whatever hp rating we have, it's still a pretty nice car to have.

My 2.0 SOHC has about 105 hp.
    (According to the manual)
    1990 Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi Hatchback *SOLD*
    2004 Renault Clio 1.5 dCi

TGC Regular
    here, this will tell you all the hp figures and such

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php...p=215114#215114

quite handy if i don't say so myself

Rasko Da Gama
    I think there are diferent restrictions in diferent countries. So I steel think that engines are basicly the same, but have some minor diferences. Like I said. In my car documents it writes that it has 80kW - if we multiply it with 1,36 (or 1,37 - I am not sure) we get horsepower - in my case it is around 109HP actually (but we always round it upwards... lol )

[FIN]Teme
    dudes.. the engine is the same in every country...

1988-1992 4G63 8valve(sohc) engine generates 82kW = 109.88hp.

1988-1992 4G63 16valve(dohc) engine generates 107kW = 143.38hp.

bluedraco
    no, it is NOT the same in every country at all...our DOHC 16 valve model here (4G63) is NOT 107kw (143hp)...it is 102kw (135hp) and is called a "GSR"...i believe the euro spec one is 107kw...not sure about the other countries but this is proof that they ARE INDEED different in other countries...

also, the SOHC model here is called an "SE" and generates 77kw...again, below the ones you are quoting...

[FIN]Teme
    yeah the model names are different but those powers are the same in every country in these 4g63 engines... Maybe just your coutrys manual or dealer gives different values but trust me... they are truly same engines..

bluedraco
    no, they are not the same...it's like most cars, most cars differ in power from different countries...

the reason for this is that there are different emission laws in every country...therefore, exhaust systems and intake systems are different to comply with these laws...there are also different fuels available which affect how well the engine can run determining power output...

for example:

honda integra type-r - 14Xkw here, 16Xkw in japan (we get the detuned version due to our lower quality fuel when compared to japan)...

that's just one example off the top of my head...

another is motorbikes - my bike has different power figures in all continents...US gets slightly less power (from memory), france gets WAY less power (due to their laws), canada gets less power, japan gets same...

i'm not going to "trust" you when i know it's different...the dealers/manual doesn't quote power figures for no reason either...

92mpi
    Exactly the point! Same engines, different names, different emmisions control...but still the same engine

Just like the EVO8, JDM gets a lot of HP, while the USDM gets lower HP. Same model, engine, different emmisions control for different countries...

That emmisions control really affect the engine (also the fuel quality).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast