The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Serious brake fade!!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    00GTZ00

Serious brake fade!!

Well I was racing a silverado 5.3L ( took him by 2-3cars in 3 different races, ya me) and I had to bring the car down from 100-110 in a short distance. MAN I tell you what <span style='font-size:30pt;line-height:100%'>OUR BRAKE SUCK!!!</span> I barly stopped the car in time, I even had to use the emeg. brake to get the car to stop!

Now granted I was driving for a period of 20 min before I had to brake like this, but brakes should not Fade on the first quick stop from 100mph after only 20 min of driving. I had the brake allmost all the way to the floor to get the car to stop. And I replaced the brakes 4-5 months ago! I am starting to think that the brakes need to be a first mod for safety sake....

just thought I would share.

Senior TGC Member
    Yeah that was my experience too, that's why I upgraded my brakes.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    u can get better pads and rotors. Honestly tho, getting stainless brake lines makes a huge difference, that should solve your fade.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

If youre looking for getting rid of the fade, the ss brake lines work wonders. Plus its a quick fix, you can always get the bigger rotors later down the line.

Senior TGC Member
    Stainless steel brake lines are great, but it's amazing how many people don't know how to properly drive with them. It is a much different technique than what you'd use with your OEM rubber lines.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

OK, I'll bite . Since I stop my car by pressing down on the brake pedal, how is stopping a car with stainless steel brake lines any different? Do the lines come with a third pedal? :?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RED2KESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK, I'll bite Â*:). Since I stop my car by pressing down on the brake pedal, how is stopping a car with stainless steel brake lines any different? Do the lines come with a third pedal? Â*:?</div> LOL
    Well Peter, I've got SS brake lines and upgraded brakes, and I can't say my braking technique has drastically changed, so I'm gonna let you explain yourself out of this one...
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

you also have to take part that you are driving a family sedan. from mitsubishi. our cars weren't designed to go out racing and stop on a dime. our cars were made to take the kids to skool and ur carpool to work.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RED2KESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK, I'll bite Â*:). Since I stop my car by pressing down on the brake pedal, how is stopping a car with stainless steel brake lines any different? Do the lines come with a third pedal? Â*:?</div> LOL
    Well Peter, I've got SS brake lines and upgraded brakes, and I can't say my braking technique has drastically changed, so I'm gonna let you explain yourself out of this one...</div>

Righties here goes:

The standard rubber line can flex, and when you squeeze on the pedal after that initial "hit," the fluid is able to compress and move back against the flow, giving you a better "feel," which prompts you to add more pressure. Now with a stainless steel brake line, the fluid has no where to go after that first push. This is why when you're braking normally you usually squeeze progressively harder to stop the car. However, when you're racing with SS lines (or watching someone racing) as they start entering a corner, instead of gradually slowing down (which they aren't able to do reliably) they wait until the very last second and slam the brake for maximum pressure, then release as they enter the curve to save time (and dip into the brake as required to induce oversteer). Of course, we don't drive like that on regular roads, and you most likely won't be doing this nor will you be required to.