The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 500 miles.. I can't believe it!

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Experienced TGC Member

500 miles.. I can't believe it!

Sup Guys, it was actually 512.6 miles before I had to hit the Gas station...

That's how far I got on one tank of gas!

It was the fill after I did my usual injector cleaning solution. The tank with cleaner usually does pretty poor, like around 300 miles before a refill. But the tank after that.... Damn! 512 miles, I can't believe it. Mostly highway miles but impressive none the less. I usually get 350-400 :?

Just had to share this....

Wes
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

wow...im so jealous, my v6 gets horrible gas mileage. my turbocharged vw gets better gas than my galant

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

What injector cleaner was it? I've never used the stuff, is it just one bottle to a tank or how does it work? Any other cleaners I ought to be using?

schick
    How many miles does you ride have?

Experienced TGC Member
    Jes,

I use fuel Injector cleaner every oil change. This time I used the STP stuff cause it was on sale (They're all the same crap). You pour it in then fill your tank, run that tank until your gas light comes on. You'll get crappy mileage on that tank but there after will be better.

Schick,

I just passed 82,000 on my 98.

This may be from a combo of things like 50 degree weather, high mileage Syntec oil, cruising at 3000rpm most of the time, etc. My gas light was on for nearly 20 miles also.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

MitsuMan
    i average about 350 give or take before i refuel

wow..

my galant can Get 300 highway miles (80mph constant)

and then a measley ~50 city miles beforeI have to re-fill

if I just Drive city.... I can go about 200 miles....

but that's Cuz I'm always up on riceboys' steeze
    making them aware of how slow their Cah'z are

*w00t*
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Hahah I envy you craig

Just wait, I will be able to hang with you someday
    7g for life!

I hope That you all are as quick as I am now....

and I'm willing To help anyone I can...
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

Dracas
    Huh?

I drive a 1995 Mitsu. Galant S 7th Gen and normally only keep it about half full ($10 bucks a pop)

its a California Spec (Not Imperial Spec) Galant, and a little under a half tank will go to about 300 miles before the light ever comes on. On a full tank its almost 550~600, thing has 114 K Miles on it total and isn't even really in 'excellent' condition.

Maybe because of the CA Spec Dual-cat system? That number would likely change (read: drop) once you swap in Hi-flow cats.

yeah yeah, I know, The CA-Spec Galants take a performance hit from the extra cat, but the gas mileage in the middle of a big frikken mountainous city is nice to have.

Hint: If its an Automatic, learn how to use the Overdrive correctly (there was another post on this elsewhere)

Hope thats helpful somehow

TGC Regular
    my car feels like it guzzles gas, maybe 300 miles a tank. And with gas expensive ($1.45/gallon) I hate filling the thing up! If I am close to E (no gas light) it will be about $22 to fill it up! I feel like i am driving an SUV! I am going to try to clean the injectors next oil change, see if it works.
    Chris
    2004 Mazda 3i; bought 7/2/04
    98 Galant ES; Sold 6/30/04

Kain
    My G seems to be running really rich (I can smell gas if I start it and shut if off again farily quickly I.E. moving the cars in the driveway) and I'm averaging around 400 mpg. When I first got it and put in the whole new ignition system, all the maintnance, cleaned the fuel injectors, etc I was getting over 500 mpg. Not all that surprising really. One of my professors has a '92 Civic DX hatch back and he gets like 70 mpg with that little bugger (highway miles) Japanese 4 cyls have almost always been the standard for fuel efficiency.

my friend w/ an 8G told me if you change ur spark plugs to iridium sparks (denso), he got an extra 3-5 mpg.. i dont know if it's true or not because i havent tried it yet.. have any of you guys tried this?

Dracas
    Generally speaking, getting better burn will increase horsepower (slightly) and fuel economy because it burns the fuel entering the combustion chamber more efficiently.

If you want to tighten down your Ignition and Combustion, you can do a few things

1. Pick up a pack of Nology Hotwires at Nology's Website.

2. Clean your Fuel Injectors Regularly and invest in a pack of pure Octane fuel additives and use them every week to keep your engine running cleanly and efficiently (Wallmart has these sometimes, yay Wallyworld!) I think they're like $20 for a four pack, thats about $240 a year, not a cheap investment, but not really an expensive one either.

3. Get new Sparkplugs. If you're still using Stock Plugs you're going to get burnt. Go buy yourself a pack of Iridium or Silverstone Sparkplugs to use with the Nology Wires

4. Doublecheck your MAFS Wiring harness to be sure that all the wires are intact and not rusted, the worse the signal you're getting from your MAFS the worse your performance is going to be. If a wire is corroded beyond signal or worse (broke, severed, missing) you could easily run too rich, or too dry and the engine will perform poorly and get poor Fuel economy

Note: Any of you folks out there using heavily modded Galants, Eclipses, or Lancer/Mirages, don't expect too much in the way of fuel mizering. The higher the performance, the lower the fuel economy, its no secret that most sports cars in serious competitions only get around 1~4 MPG.

Theres a few other things you can do to improve your Burn efficiency and fuel econ. ask around, I'm sure others can provide more information as well.

Hope that was helpful -

Kain
    I hate to disagree with people, but I'm gonna have to in this case on a couple of things.

1. Stay away from Nology wires. I've heard way too many bad things about them. They are notorious for crossfiring, breaking shortly after instalation, rubber boots rotting away, and other bad things.

2. If you have an I4 don't bother with Iridum plugs. They are not noticibly better than stock plugs, the only benefit is having to replace them less often. But with an I4, replacing plugs takes what? 15 min? I got Platinum plugs when I first bought my Galant, and I just can't justify the 5X higher pricetag when they only last 2-3X as long.

3. Even the most modified street cars get above 10 mpg. Heck, even my buddy's 9 sec Chevelle SS gets 6-8 mpg when off the bottle. I've never seen a 4 cyl fall below 12-15 mpg if they were in good running condition.

4. As for the octane increasing fuel additives, I've heard that it's bad to run on a regular basis, because of the higher heat it produces.

5. A more free flowing intake and exhaust will also increase gas milage. At least theoretically. Really depends more on your driving style. But a clean filter will definitely help things out.

I agree with the comment that Nology wires are not what it's cracked up to be (haha, pun). Read the truth about wires here http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

Other additives I don't know but octane boosters does NOT make your engine run hotter. Higher octane raises the temperature needed to ignite the gasoline so it doesn't pre-ignite from a hot running engine (b/c of FI). It has nothing to do with making it run or burn hotter and everything to do with raising the combustion temperature of the fuel so it doesn't explode on its own (which is a good thing to let the sparkplug do that for you).

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

Dracas
    EH? Read the article on Magnecor (on 'magnecor' should have been an indicator this was a marketing effigy), it looks like Marketing Bruhah and Brainwash to me, we put Nologies into my friends Acura over in Indiana, it cleared up a few innefficient burn problems, which is frankly all I said they'd do, and a cleaner burn helps out a bit with thorough combustion, does it not? Anyhow, I've made it a policy in the past not to believe something competitors post up about competing companies. Its just a marketing tool. Changing from stock plugs period is a good idea anyhow, but generally speaking it doesn't matter if its a Harley V-2 or a Viper V12, or even a lowly little I-4, good plugs are nice to have.

Fuel additives don't really harm your car, they just raise the octane of the fuel you're using and in some cases introduce a small amount of cleaning agents (very small, much less then the additives found in injecting cleaner additives) does the engine get hotter? Not that I had noticed, no.

These are things I've done to various vehicles over time, I wouldnt' suggest them if I hadn't tried them.

I'm not one to be goated, I run things to see how well they work then get rid of them if they don't. Granted you waste money in the process, you get to find what works and what doesn't.