The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: speed /performance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 55
    david

speed /performance

I need some info
    on should I get a turbo or nitrous I want maximum speed safely and what brands are the best :? [/b]

8ggalant

Re: speed /performance

Quote Originally Posted by david
    I need some info
    on should I get a turbo or nitrous I want maximum speed safely and what brands are the best :? [/b]
    click here http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/search.php[img][/img]

Quote Originally Posted by david
    I need some info
    Rule of Three: Pick two of these, no more.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable.

Fast and cheap won't be reliable.
    Fast and reliable won't be cheap.
    Cheap and reliable won't be fast.

Nitrous is fun, you can push the magic button, but there are many disadvantages to nitrous which I really don't feel like explaining right now, hit me up on AIM if you want to talk about them, Bball347 .

Turbo will be better in the long run, and give you more power if you do it properly, but you need to know what you're doing. Again, IM me if you want to talk about it.

00GTZ00

Turbo | SC | Nitrous the age old question

They will all give you good power reliably if you buid up for each system.

IMO Nitrous has a better price per HP ratio thatn turbo and SC. and IMO is better in the long run because your engine/tranny is not beign stressed out as much as a turbo or SC will stess your engine/tranny. And Nitrous will give you the same power as any turbo or SC.

Quote Originally Posted by 00GTZ00
    And Nitrous will give you the same power as any turbo or SC.
    Don't use hp numbers to race. You need to compare the activity of the nitrous vs. the activity of a turbo. A turbo will be "active" during the entire quarter mile, and in a properly built motor will not do damage to the engine, despite boost pressures of 1 bar or more. In a nitroused car, you only get the power for a few seconds as you push the button, and most people who "use" nitrous have no idea what they are doing. They think that bolting in a dry kit won't do anything to harm their motor if they use it all day. Well, shit happens, and sometimes you don't get enough fuel in there. Knock is bad. If you have to get nitrous, get a wet kit, properly build the system, and make sure your motor is ready.
    With a turbo, (not a supercharger unless you have a 6, 8, 10, or 12 cylinder...and even then sometimes turbos.) you can develop more power from a 4-cyli than a nitrous system, if built properly. 4-cylinder cars are limited in the power gains of nitrous systems because they have smaller dislacement. The size of the shot is limited because there is only so much volume the nitrous can take up. That is why the 8-cyli's can run 300 shots with no problem, but a 4-cyli has trouble with a 150 wet shot (stability wise). With a turbo, you can build the bejesus out of your motor, boost 1 bar, and be well on your way to 400+ hp the entire way down the track.

That's just my two cents though, do what you want.

anotehr thign you got to think of is how often do u need the power? i mean with a turbo, its gonna cost more but then its gonna be running all the time so you got power 24/7 but with nitrous you only use it when u really need it.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

00GTZ00
    The reason why a V8 can take a 250-300 wet shot is because of volume. a V8 breathes 2X as much as a 4 cyl....But for a 4 cyl to take a 150-200 shot you have to build the engine, Just like how you have to build the engine to accept a 150-200 hp turbo setup.

and actually if you are going for high HP numbers for nitrous you will skip right over the "Kits" that are wet and dry and get Direct port injection that works in conjuction with the fuel delivery system and the timing. The only way to limit the amount of Nitrous to an engine is through the jets...

Don't use hp numbers to race.
    then what do you race with?

You need to compare the activity of the nitrous vs. the activity of a turbo. A turbo will be "active" during the entire quarter mile, and in a properly built motor will not do damage to the engine,
    a properly built motor will not damage the engine for nitrous either. A turbo is on 24/7, you are correct. But Nitrous is only their when you want it. and Nitrous is also active during the entire 1/4 mile. Do you only spray durring the last 1/8th mile?

4-cylinder cars are limited in the power gains of nitrous systems because they have smaller dislacement.
    This applys to turbos also....

also with nitrous it is opposit of a turbo in this way. For a turbo build up you have to drop the compressiopn to get the high numbers and if your turbo goes out you are SOL. were a Nitrous setup LOVES compression. You can build your engine with forged rods and pistons and run a higher compression ratio. So without the Nitrous you will get more power to the ground because of the higher compression ratio, then when you hit the nitrous you get even more power....Why do you think the V8 guy choose Nitrous on 11.5:1 compression engines to get an extra 400 hp out of it? Because a turbo will not work as well with high compression N/A engines.

But it is allways a personal choice on what you want to do. And the whole Turbo Vs Nitrous argument can go on forever. In the end you have to choose what you want. But my advise is to pick up a few books on how the two systems work and decide what you want to do...

Quote Originally Posted by 00GTZ00
    Don't use hp numbers to race.
    then what do you race with?
    Race with cars. Don't throw a bunch of numbers out there and say "Well since he has more horsepower here and less weight here, he wins." There's always places where this can change.

But it is allways a personal choice on what you want to do. And the whole Turbo Vs Nitrous argument can go on forever. In the end you have to choose what you want. But my advise is to pick up a few books on how the two systems work and decide what you want to do...
    And amen to that....pick what works best for your situation. All I can tell you is, don't get a supercharger.

IMO i say go with turbo :twisted: i've been turboed for over 5000 miles now and its still holding up fine, the tranny that is. I have no work done to it either. The car is tuned and running smooth as can be. The power is so nice to have it all the time, wouldn't have it any other way
    now with the winter coming soon the rebuild will begin and the HP number will go up along with the boost which is only at 5.8
    haven't raced a car i haven't beat and i've danced with some fast cars.
    Neon srt-4, New mustang GT, 3.5 maxima and altima to name a few

8ggalant
    [/quote]
    All I can tell you is, don't get a supercharger.[/quote]

why would u say that???

8ggalant
    [/quote]
    All I can tell you is, don't get a supercharger.[/quote]

why would u say that??? i mean im not gettin one im goin turbo...but ive never heard one sc owner complain..not even honda or ford focuz guys...so what's yer theory??

Yeah, why not get the supercharger?

<Propping up feet, snacking on the buttered popcorn>
    Love,
    Matt

00GTZ00
    <---- Joins VegasMatt and handing him a beer

Alister_McRae
    ya, supercharger is instant power, plus with our SC's, i heard they have been holding up extremely well with little upgrades to the engine? What gives?

well so does the turbo, like i said before i have over 5000 miles on it, no upgraded internals and still no problems.

I have 7000 miles on the Ripp SDS and no problems either. Tranny is holding up fine.
    Love,
    Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alister_McRae)</div><div class='quotemain'>ya, supercharger is instant power, plus with our SC's, i heard they have been holding up extremely well with little upgrades to the engine? What gives?</div>
    a turbocharger takes the best advantage of a high-revving, 4-cyli engine's powerband. A supercharger is generally for mustangs, camaros, and other high-torque muscle cars. You will run slower 1/4's with a supercharger than a turbocharger, one reason being that the "intant power" from a supercharger is more than the tires, especially in a FWD car, can handle. You will spin like crazy, unless you are running drag radials, or at least some damn good tires. You will also make more power with a turbocharger, because it makes more power where your car's powerband already exists. A turbo is much more efficient than a supercharger, so you won't lose much low end power, while still putting out incredible top end power.
    I'm not saying superchargers are BAD for a 4-cyli, I'm saying that superchargers are more suited to higher-displacement applications, such as mustangs, camaros, and even GTZ galants. It is more beneficial to run a turbo set up.

hey matt was wondering if you have been to the dyno lately??
    also was wondering if your going to beef up the internals and trans??
    maybe we could try and get some kind of group buy going?
    sorry to get off topic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, why not get the supercharger? Â*

<Propping up feet, snacking on the buttered popcorn></div>
    i also just noticed you have a V6, supercharged. I'm not arguing supercharging a V6, that is much more acceptable than s/c'ing a 4-cyli.

8ggalant
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alister_McRae)</div><div class='quotemain'>ya, supercharger is instant power, plus with our SC's, i heard they have been holding up extremely well with little upgrades to the engine? What gives?</div>
    a turbocharger takes the best advantage of a high-revving, 4-cyli engine's powerband. A supercharger is generally for mustangs, camaros, and other high-torque muscle cars. You will run slower 1/4's with a supercharger than a turbocharger, one reason being that the "intant power" from a supercharger is more than the tires, especially in a FWD car, can handle. You will spin like crazy, unless you are running drag radials, or at least some damn good tires. You will also make more power with a turbocharger, because it makes more power where your car's powerband already exists. A turbo is much more efficient than a supercharger, so you won't lose much low end power, while still putting out incredible top end power.
    I'm not saying superchargers are BAD for a 4-cyli, I'm saying that superchargers are more suited to higher-displacement applications, such as mustangs, camaros, and even GTZ galants. It is more beneficial to run a turbo set up.</div>

w8 w8...so instant power is bad for a 4cly car (galant or eclipse) but ok for a 6....so that extra w8 gives them more traction ...im still not gettin it...go over to the 3g eclipse boards...therr 4 cyl sds guys r havin no problem with traction...i think i remember u sayin on another post it was all about the driver...all it takes is practice...juss sounds like yer contradicting yerself...i kno for damn sure id get a stage 2 sds (if they even make it for the 64) if i had the loot....and 200 whp is not beastly...its a hella of alot better then sub 100-100whp but come on...it aint a corvertte or nuthin..juss takes practice

i mean i am pro turbo to0...but i still dont understand why u say a 4cly sc is not good...have u ever drivin one?...like i said...ive never heard 1 4cyl sc person complain...i kno a few locally..actually more of my turbo peeps complain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast