The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rim Sizes

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Rim Sizes

Sometimes on bmw's and prosches oem rims come wider in the rear and smaller in the front. For example, a porsche I was looking at today had 18's but the rears were like 18x10 and the front 18x8.5. They also had different tire sizes like 285/35/zr18 in the back and 245/45/zr18 in the front.

The question I have is would doing this on an 8g or 7g the like provide any extra handling performance?

that only works for hi horsepower rear wheel drive cars. it would actually hinder handling on a front wheel drive car. optimum for a front wheel drive car is same at all four corners... i've even seen wider fronts on some front wheel drive cars in extreme track conditions since on FWD cars, the front wheels need more traction as they are both putting down the power AND steering the car and also since FWD cars have a inherent tendency to understeer at the limit.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>that only works for hi horsepower rear wheel drive cars. Â*it would actually hinder handling on a front wheel drive car. Â*optimum for a front wheel drive car is same at all four corners... Â*i've even seen wider fronts on some front wheel drive cars in extreme track conditions since on FWD cars, the front wheels need more traction as they are both putting down the power AND steering the car and also since FWD cars have a inherent tendency to understeer at the limit.</div>

agreed. and what some people have been doing, that want to go racing through the mountains, is putting nice big wide wheels on the front, and skinny ones on the back. my friend on his civic (not honda shit, actually nice with over 200hp) put 16x7s in the front and 16x5s in the back, and they're the same brand/make, so it looks clean, and not one of those where they have two nice wheels in the front and stock in the back. its really good for dragging your ass through turns if you have a really stiff back.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>that only works for hi horsepower rear wheel drive cars. Â*it would actually hinder handling on a front wheel drive car. Â*optimum for a front wheel drive car is same at all four corners... Â*i've even seen wider fronts on some front wheel drive cars in extreme track conditions since on FWD cars, the front wheels need more traction as they are both putting down the power AND steering the car and also since FWD cars have a inherent tendency to understeer at the limit.</div>

agreed. and what some people have been doing, that want to go racing through the mountains, is putting nice big wide wheels on the front, and skinny ones on the back. my friend on his civic (not honda shit, actually nice with over 200hp) put 16x7s in the front and 16x5s in the back, and they're the same brand/make, so it looks clean, and not one of those where they have two nice wheels in the front and stock in the back. its really good for dragging your ass through turns if you have a really s
    tiff back.</div>

thanks for the info