The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My G after mods

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    schick

My G after mods

Well.. I've done quite a few of the mods I've wanted to do.
    I just want to share this with you people, as I couln't have done some of it without TGC! Plus this will help with some questions that new members may have.
    Suspension
    Eibach Pro springs and KYB AGX struts.
    The handling is unbelievable! I can take on/off ramps at a much quicker speed without even worrying about loosing it. (Now if only those slow MF'ers would just get the hell outta the way!)
    The ride is a little harder than i thought it would be, feeling every single joint in the road, even when set to 1 on all 4 struts. I thought it would be more of a drop, the measurments only gave a 1/2" drop all around. (I've heard the springs need some time to settle down and it will drop some more. )
    I abso-frickin-lutely love how I can change lanes on the highway this quick, and the car stays flat.

Also added the Ractive front STB, lovin it!

Rolling gear
    3 days ago I finally got my wheels and tires. Motegi MR8 (17x7) and Yokohama AVS ES100 (215/45-17). I got the MR8's because I like the dished/lip look that they have and they are different than the more common 5,7 or 10+ flush spoke wheels. (like the Motegi MR7's)
    I had installed the struts and springs a week earlier, and as you read above, the ride is defintly harder. I was afraid the lo-profile tires would make the ride unbearable. However, there really isn't any huge difference from the stock 14"ers. Yes, it was just a little harsher, but not even close to the change with the struts/springs.
    Let me tell you, these tires grip! In another post I was told that the ES100's aren't as good as the tires they supposedly replaced (A520's).
    They are probably 95% of the 520's performance with 75% of the cost. Haven't tested them in the rain yet, as I'm located in the mid-west and it hasn't rained for a month.
    And they look sharp too, IMO

Engine
    Custom CAI
    With the help of some of you here I made a CAI.
    I used 3" mandrel bent tubing available from JC Whitneys, the 180° u-bend one. cut it and spray painted it with aluminum ceramic hi-temp paint. It took a couple of cuts to get the correct bends in the rights places.
    Also trying to find some silicon adaptors, especially the one fitting the upper pipe to the back end of the MAS (the oval side) was a chore.
    But I was able to get it together and installed. It looks good. the only problem I have is with the bracing, I think I need to fabricate a better bracket to hold up the MAS and piping, just to be extra safe so nothing will fall off. I also had to replace the stock size battery with a smaller sized unit and move the batt tray to the left. Lotsa mo room available now.
    The MAS adapter was gotten off Ebay with a filter. They were about 4" size, so I had to buy another filter to use with the CAI 3" pipe. No problem, just got a K&N, better quality than the one off Ebay. And if the weather gets shitty, I can just disconnect the lower CAI pipe and install the Ebay filter to the MAS adapter and keep it safe.
    As far as the functionality of it, I definitly notice better pick-up and quicker response, especially in the lower end.
    And the sound of it is the shiznit! You know, the WAAAAAHHHHHHH at WOT. One person thought i had dropped a V-8 in. (yea, I thought he need to learna little about engines as it sounds nothing like a decent V-8, but it does sound like a there's a bigger engine inside than what most people think it has).

My next mods will be upgraded front brake pads and rotors, already have Axxis metalmasters on order. Looking into DBA rotors, mostly because they are the only ones available! Also will epoxy paint the calipers and drums with the G2 kit (silver), because the rust looks yucky with the new wheels. I will update this post when I do these, probably in the next couple of weeks.

My future mods will be exhaust/muffler and RPW header (Whenever that will be!), maybe a S-AFC.
    I have also gotten a hold of a spare intake manifold that I will be polishing the inside. I hope to find an extra head somewhere and have it P&P'ed and matched to the intake and exhaust manifold.

On the interior, I have added reverse iniglo guages. All my friends think they are pretty kewl, as do I. Much easier to see and look at. Real high-tech and sportier look. I also installed indiglo pedals, just to be a little different. The installatoin of these sucked as I think the kit was missing some stuff and the screws that came with them were stripping. After a few mods and better screws, they work like a champ. They offer a little more grip over the stock rubber pads.

Future inside mods are painted interior trim with CF accents. Leather seating surfaces are something else I'd like to have.

On the outside I'm planning on adding a body kit, spoiler, and CF hood. But these will wait, as performance is higher on the scale than looks.

I do plan of getting pics up soon.

MitsuMan
    well mr, sounds likeyou have had your hands full lately...lol, i wish i had more time to put into my car, but unfortunately school is here and grades dont give themselves out, gotta earn them by working my ass off, hope we helkped ya out with any of your questions u had tackling this project, its good to see someone that listens to the info and takes advantage of the resources they have to complete a great project, great job!

the one and only, dean...lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Can you give me a link to which pipe you bought off of JC Whitney? And how much did it cost?

I have the Arospeed short ram intake, just wonderin what pipe you bought.

So when you gonna take some pics of all these mods youve gotten done
    7g for life!

schick
    Dean, Yea, all of these mods took place within a 3 week period (not including the pedal covers)
    And with a 2 year old and 3 month old, time is hard to come by. God thing my wife is understanding (not! those that are married know what I'm talking about - "what the hell are you doing to the car NOW!?!?" )

Seth - I went with the 3" exhaust u-bend CLICK HERE It's the only 3" OD 180 tube part # 81RQ3036T

And I hope to get pics up this weekend.

Sweet deal You got the 180 degree bent pipe :?:

You put this between the MAS and throttle body?

Mine looks like this:

Does yours look like mine?

[Edit]

Ahh n/m I need to read closer....you cut it
    7g for life!

mine... looks like this....

does it look like mine?

BTW that was me That told you the tires were not as good...

and I'm fairly certain I'm correct...if you were nearby.. I'd let you take a Cruise on my A520's

they're a little less "city-friendly" but They kick ass for grip/stability
    Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

schick
    G96nt, I know how the A520's run, I've had them on my Neon (It now rolls on Kumho Ecsta 712's).
    I may have forgot to mention, but I'm an avid autocrosser (for about 8 years now) and have gone through many sets of tires.
    I have a 97 Neon ACR dedicated for racing and curvy roads. The A520's where for cruising around on and travel to and from events. Then I change over to Kumho Victoracer V700's on lightweight (11 lbs) wheels. I've had opportunities to drive other peoples cars with different tires such as Bridgestone S02 and S03, G-Force T/A's, and other tires from Kumho to Pirelli's to Nitto's(BTW, Nitto's suck).

And yes, you are correct in saying that the ES100's are not as good as the A520's - in the performance area.
    The Galant is my daily driver, and as such, I require a ride that will not rattle my teeth out (as 45 profiles go!). I also needed a tire that I won't have to replace every year. If you noticed, the A520 isn't exactly the longest lasting or most comfortable tire out there.
    But I did require a tire that fit into the UHP category.

If YOU were nearby... I'd let you take a ride on the ES100's and see how nearly as good to the A520's they are.

schick
    G96nt, Damn, I was in Boston (Billerica) just last week!

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>mine... looks like this....

</div>

:shock: *jealous rage begins to set in*

Mine doesn't look like that :cry: LOL
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

*cant see the pic*

ooooohhhhhhh aaaaaaaahhhhh

I see it now