The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The Goat is back

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Moosh

The Goat is back

Hey all,

My Galant is alive again. Today Rob came over and we dismantled the DOHC setup and put back the SOHC setup. We started at 10AM and finished at around 7PM. He worked at removing the belts and head while I rewired the ECU. I had to remove a coil pack wire, a knock sensor wire, and pin 82 ignition power wire, I moved the tach from 58 back to 31, and I restored an evap and fuel sensor. Then, in the engine bay Rob worked at cleaning off the block as I drained the oil and what was left of the coolent. He repaired the fuel injector harness, and then after Rob finished prepping the block and SOHC head we put it back on. We used a new headgasket, new timing belt, new mitsu sparkplugs and new mitsu sparkplug wires, replaced the two timing belt pullys, and the exhaust manifold gasket. For the distributor connectors and the IAC, we had to use our combined powers to wire the engine harness back to the connectors, because the connectors were mistakingly cut way to short when Ifirst did the headswap. It was a real bitch but we accomplished it, how it holds up will be told by the future. After taking it all apart Rob noticed that the timing was incorrect, and the balance shafts were not lined up correctly, if you want to know specifics he can explain it much better than I. We believe this was one of the primary causes the headswapped did not turn out successful. This was Rob's first timing belt, he did a really great job and it was deadon his first try. He rotated the crank several dozen times to be sure it was correct, and let it relax and then rotated the crank again. The car turned on on the first try, it idles at around 800 RPM. It never stalled and we drove it around for about 10 minutes and let it idle for about 45 minutes. It has a minor idle surge problem that causes it to dip to 500 RPM once every 30 or so seconds, so tomorrow I am going to let it idle some more and look it over and try to fix that. Otherwise, it is running well, thanks Rob! I will be selling all of my DOHC parts if anyone is interested. I have a 2G turbo complete head with 1G cams, intake mani, I have a lot of coil packs, I have two working power transistors, a 2G turbo ISC, a 1G 60mm NT throttle body, a 1G hall effect 1993 CAS, a JDM gunmetal valve cover that does not have the 2000cc logo on it, which is great for us 2400cc users , and there are other parts as well.

Moosh

Experienced TGC Member
    Good to hear Moosh, glad you guys got it up and running. First try even, can't do better than that!
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

Experienced TGC Member
    Headswap is amazingly simple aside from timing belt and even that is much simpler then I thought. Moosh's problem with the headswap was that the person who did the work had the timing incorrect. The cam gears where off, as well as the rear balance shaft, which is what I thought all along but Moosh said no =P

We did it in about 7hrs with a break for food, and 40 min of that work was scraping old head gaskets off. and another 40 min was just staring at timing belt and cranking the engine by hand several does times to make sure it lines up correctly and tension stays good.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Moosh
    I never said the timing belt wasn't off, I don't even know how to check it because I didn't understand how it was supposed to look like because of Travis's 4G63 camgear method. All I ever said was that I am sure the 1G CAS was installed correctly because Most of the stuff was lined up or close to being lined up. :/

Moosh
    Also another thing I want to mention is that when I drove the Galant again, I was completely blown away by how much smoother it feels to be driving the V6 214HP Intrepid....... I4 really cannot compare unless you have forced induction =(

brandon
    Good to hear you got it back running Moosh. I gotta figure out my money situation for the next two weeks but if I can, I will take that oil pan from you. I'll let you know soon as I can.

Moosh
    I gave it to Rob after we fixed my car, sorry

southboy1246
    yeah moosh, i use to own a black 95 intrepid also, but it died on me like 2 months ago...it had a vacuum leak with alot of other problems(it would have cost $5500 to fix everything). I loved that car, but now i got the galant in place of it. the intrepid's ride is much smoother, but i'll compare it once i have the galant fixed to the point i want it at

Moosh
    Well, the Intrepid is hands down faster than the 7G Galant, and probably faster than the 8G V6. (The 3.5 Liter Intrepid not the 3.3L one) Anyway, today the Intrepid overheated on the highway so I stopped it and it was low on antifreeze. Filled it up and it started overheating again. Anyway, I took it to my uncle and he said the water pump failed, and the headgasket is possibly damaged because it was blowing white smoke out the exhaust. I'm glad the Galant is fixed, I have to go prepare it this weekend to hopefully be driveable.