The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: i4 ripp header

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32
    leadfoot

i4 ripp header

i am going to get these header soon or later but i would like to know if any one has them and how they are doing? i would also like to know how much of power gains i can expect from these header?

akiraflux
    from what i've seen you won't notice much of a gain from them unless you start doing other things to your engine, at which point it's pretty much essential that you reduce all the "breathing" bottlenecks the engine has.

What do you mean by breathing bottleneck? I'm sure half of us need clarification to that. If you could clarify what you mean that would be great thanks. I have Injen SHort ram intake I also was looking into getting the Ripp Header way before I get SDS and was curious what kinda HP gains you get. Although as I read other posts and posts elsewhere it seems torque is what mainly is gained from these headers. If anyone can help me and leadfoot out that would be great. Oh by the way if you don't see in my sig I'm running I4.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

akiraflux
    i ain't no expert...i only know what i've read and from talking to other car fiends. from another thread it was pretty much agreed on that mitsu squeezed just about everything they could outta our cars hence not getting significant gains from bolt on mods (whereas other cars will see a very noticable difference).

once you start doing other stuff to the engine (anything...not just turbo/SC) there are bottlenecks that hinder the full potention of the internal mods. so once you get your engine putting out more power these bottlenecks if fixed will let your engine use the bigger mods to their full potential. i'm not really sure how else to explain it...but just break things down logically and you'll see what i mean. shitty headers on a turbo or SC'd engine will be a major bottleneck as they aren't used to extra airflow (that's where i got the breathing part...) whereas the RIPP headers are made with the SC in mind and use it's full potential.

personally...after reading shitloads of threads here and on other boards i've decided i'm done as far as "performance" modding goes as it's pretty much worthless unless you're going for serious engine upgrades. i'd wager that with a full catback/exhaust, cai, header you wouldn't get more than 10-20whp (don't quote me...to date nobody has pony'd up a dyno sheet for a stock i4 with and without new header) and then you're lookin at damn near $1000 for next to no gain. but if you are going FI i would say it's all needed greatly and just more step in gettin every damn bit of power you can.

Akiraflux basically hit it right on the head. I personally have not see the RIPP headers on a dyno but by going by the two previous failed hopes RPW and kamakazi (ms) My hopes arent high for the RIPP headers.

Honestly anyone on this board that does venture to buy headers after hearing member after member complain about the lack of gains is really just out to spend money. For the $400.00 bucks you spend we can say you raced my galant and I'll admit to anyone that you one for the duration of 12 months. Now if your sponsored by SDS then by all means milk that cow dry lol

Headers by themselves are worthless...case closed, tip your waitress....

leadfoot
    i am getting the header regardless of how much power gain they give because they are nessasary for the SDS and are the biggest header on the market point blank. there is going to be alot of time between the SDS and the header so i was just going to ask anyone with the header for numbers. i am going to do a baseline dyno with in the next month and the after my intake , header and VAFC i will do another. it's 150 per hour for the dyno where i live.

Thanks for all the infor akiraflux and mante. I too will probably buy these headers in the next few months simply because SDS is coming sooner or later. And the only headers that'll work that SC good are the Ripp ones. Leadfoot can't wait for that dyno good luck on your ride.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

Do the homework first. let some other guys (eclipse orners) do the dyno first. greanted the RPW header didn't do mch HP wise t was still worth it to me. The Kamakazi and the AMSS have still yet to put out more than the RPW.

The reason i say do the homework is because the eclipse guys that have the Ripp Header. one of the guys is running so Rich he can't even lean it out with an S-AFC.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Lazarus is he(eclipse guy) running just headers or does he have the the whole sds cause I don't believe Ripp would have the fuel management system setup ,if he(eclipse guy) hasn't gone and screwed up the thing by playing with the boost levels too much, to run that rich.
    -Nathan
    member of Team DNA
    www.dnaracing.net

the boosted gs
    Just got done reading this thread and I am going to post my input here.

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot
    i am going to get these header soon or later but i would like to know if any one has them and how they are doing? i would also like to know how much of power gains i can expect from these header?
    If you guys head over to www.neweclipse.org and do a search on 'RIPP Header' you will see that everyone whom has posted about purchasing the RIPP header is extremely happy with them.

As far as power gains go... RIPP has been trying to get a N/A car in to dyno these, but, that has not happened THUS far. But, there has been some individual testing done on a g-tech by a member at Club3G (http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~jester/header2.html).

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    The reason i say do the homework is because the eclipse guys that have the Ripp Header. one of the guys is running so Rich he can't even lean it out with an S-AFC.
    I checked up on that thread started by 'RedGS' and I believe he is referring to another header mfg. I have been on the boards for quite some time and I do not miss many threads over there and I can not recall a member having problems with the RIPP header + S-AFC + running rich (if you do read through that thread, you will see nobody complains of running rich). These cars do run a little rich from the factory though (anyone who has hooked up an air/fuel gauge can verify this). I do believe that was just a misunderstanding.

Basically, if you are planning to do the SDS these are, in my opinion, a must. This header is specifically designed for the SDS and is full-length, unlike other companies "shorty" header. I can assure you that this header will hands down make more power then any other header on the market whether your setup is N/A or FI. Sure they are not going to make tons of power on a N/A car, but, a NA vs. NA car boils down to raw power products and this header was designed with that in mind.

Fast99ES
    Well said on that last paragraph boosted...I'm gonna call Ripp today with a couple questions about these headers. I'm going Supercharged by early next year so I figure why not go with the header that's made by the same company. The other cool thing I seen is a high flow cat. So now I just gotta get my piping finished.

leadfoot
    yeah im going to get them after i purchase my AEM CAI and s-afc. i was on the eclipse board and everyone is happy with their header. they posted some thing like 12wtq gains.

Fast99ES
    Well... I talked to Cody at Rippmods last week. He said the headers are on back order and he should have some info on them this week. He didnt give an eztimate so I'll jus call about it, or if anyone finds out before me post it up.

Fast99ES
    Well, I talked with Ross today and put my order in for the header!!!! He is getting some on Friday so if all goes well I should have them by next week...I also got a new motor mount for an extra 50 bux...I cant wait!!!!

leadfoot
    thanks for the info 8)

Fast99ES
    Hey Lead, you gonna get em?

leadfoot
    hopefully im still saving but yeah im gettin them. i will definatly get them the only factor will be price and time but i think i will have the money in the next 1 or 2 weeks :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by the boosted gs
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus
    I checked up on that thread started by 'RedGS' and I believe he is referring to another header mfg. I have been on the boards for quite some time and I do not miss many threads over there and I can not recall a member having problems with the RIPP header + S-AFC + running rich (if you do read through that thread, you will see nobody complains of running rich).

I'm not talking about redGS, I'm talking about TampablueRS or something like that. He said his A/f stays pegged in teh green. And he can't get it out even with the AFC.

Pudding
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

the boosted gs
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the boosted gs)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>The reason i say do the homework is because the eclipse guys that have the Ripp Header. one of the guys is running so Rich he can't even lean it out with an S-AFC.</div>

I checked up on that thread started by 'RedGS' and I believe he is referring to another header mfg. I have been on the boards for quite some time and I do not miss many threads over there and I can not recall a member having problems with the RIPP header + S-AFC + running rich (if you do read through that thread, you will see nobody complains of running rich).</div>

I'm not talking about redGS, I'm talking about TampablueRS or something like that. He said his A/f stays pegged in teh green. And he can't get it out even with the AFC.

Pudding</div>

Just read that thread and a few other posts by that member. IMO, he is a tool (just by reading some other post he has made).

I believe he has set some incorrect values on the SAFC. You do not need an SAFC for the RIPP header. Also, it sounds like he is using an autometer gauge to determine his a/f ratio. Autometer is not the best gauge to be using. I have that same gauge and it always stays pegged in the green. Keep in mind I had the gauge installed when I was completely stock and boosted. Either way, there are at least 5 threads that speak positively of the RIPP header. Also, a member just dyno'd and made 127.1WHP (I made 109 stock, so that is a gain of 18WHP).

Sorry for the confusion, hope this helps to clear things up.

leadfoot
    im sold but that 18whp is iceing on the cake hopefully it wont take me long to get my CAI after my header.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast