The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbocharger vs. Supercharger Thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 53 of 53
    Galant-UNIT(sur_texas)
    whats better a Turbo or a SC for a 96 4-cyl galant S

Quote Originally Posted by Galant-UNIT(sur_texas)
    whats better a Turbo or a SC for a 96 4-cyl galant S
    Turbo would be more beneficial for your car...4 cylinders should always be turbo'd...the only thing I could see that would maybe change your mind is the apparent ease of this RIPP SDS thing If you're serious about making gobs of power, go with the turbo, though.

Darkside
    To galant unit,

I'll prefer going turbocharge, since they don't make SC for the Galant. Even if they don't make turbo for the Galant, you can always customize your own turbo kit.

91 HKS Galant VR4
    W/ big 16G
    10/2000

8ggalant
    ok ok im confused...scootin pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me how to get rid of wheel spin....cuz this is interesting...a bigger turbo...lag... :?: :?: so its easier to over power (pwer to the ground) w/ a s/c.....pls enlighten me...cuz all the turbo peeple on this board cant keep traction (well i dont kno aobut craig or matt, but supercharged gtz, headache-even tho he's got plenty track experiance-, dj galant, and sabzi and maybe more have all had-and continue to have-traction problems....so im wondering what the remedy is...cuz both systems have this problem and from what i read it seams sumone was sayin one doesnt since u have turbo lag???????

Darkside
    to 8gGalant,

Since you say you got no traction. Lowering your car with some good sring, like Eibach Springs (pretty stiff). Doing so will help stop wheel hopp, or throw in some good slick Hope this help 8)

ken inn
    herein lies the problem. whether you got turbocharger, supercharger, bfm, jet motor, or whatever, traction is the problem. on my fwd cars(88 mazda 323gt turbo, 99 millenia supercharged), fwd sucks. unless the pavement is completely dry and clean, i can get wheelspin. if it is just a tad wet, or if i start out on the white line, i got wheelspin. on my turbo rwd cars(71 and 73 bmw 2002 w/turbo) traction was never a problem, unless i tried to launch. by far, the best is the awd(88 mazda 323gtx, 91 galant vr4, 93 gsx). on certain occasions, even the galant can break the tires loose, especially after installing the hks cams, but it is WAY more difficult to lose traction on the awd cars. the other thing to consider is a FACTORY turbo/supercharged car is better than a non factory with an aftermarket kit, imho. when bmw made the turbo 2002, it had stuff like alloy exh manifold, 10mm exh studs, sodium exh valves, brakes from the bigger 6 cyl cars, and this was in 1974. the galant has like oil squirters, stronger clutch, transmission, bigger brakes, BUT, the biggest advantage is the timing and fuel maps. all the turbo/supercharged cars have knock sensor(s), and the ecu has the ability to advance or retard based on octane and knock. then, there is the "fudge" factor in cars. manufactures do not release the cars in the highest state of tune, they have to allow for stuff like bad gas, idiot drivers, poor maintenance, to name a few. again, the mitsu 1g cars are a prime example. all you need is to up the boost from 10 to 15 lbs, and bingo! another 50hp/tq. and the cost? an mbc, about 50 bucks. helps to have a good boost gauge, too. but, where else can you get 50 hp for 50 bucks? because the cars were so detuned, making them go fast is a lot easier and less expensive than a n/a car, and they have the better brakes/suspension/drivetrain to take it.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'>herein lies the problem. Â*whether you got turbocharger, supercharger, bfm, jet motor, or whatever, traction is the problem. Â*on my fwd cars(88 mazda 323gt turbo, 99 millenia supercharged), fwd sucks. Â*unless the pavement is completely dry and clean, i can get wheelspin. Â*if it is just a tad wet, or if i start out on the white line, i got wheelspin. Â*on my turbo rwd cars(71 and 73 bmw 2002 w/turbo) traction was never a problem, unless i tried to launch. Â*by far, the best is the awd(88 mazda 323gtx, 91 galant vr4, 93 gsx). Â* on certain occasions, even the galant can break the tires loose, especially after installing the hks cams, but it is WAY more difficult to lose traction on the awd cars. Â*the other thing to consider is a FACTORY turbo/supercharged car is better than a non factory with an aftermarket kit, imho. Â*when bmw made the turbo 2002, it had stuff like alloy exh manifold, 10mm exh studs, sodium exh valves, brakes from the bigger 6 cyl cars, and this was in 1974. Â*the galant has like oil squirters, stronger clutch, transmission, bigger brakes, BUT, the biggest advantage is the timing and fuel maps. Â*all the turbo/supercharged cars have knock sensor(s), and the ecu has the ability to advance or retard based on octane and knock. Â*then, there is the "fudge" factor in cars. Â*manufactures do not release the cars in the highest state of tune, they have to allow for stuff like bad gas, idiot drivers, poor maintenance, to name a few. Â*again, the mitsu 1g cars are a prime example. Â*all you need is to up the boost from 10 to 15 lbs, and bingo! Â*another 50hp/tq. Â*and the cost? Â*an mbc, about 50 bucks. Â*helps to have a good boost gauge, too. Â*but, where else can you get 50 hp for 50 bucks? Â*because the cars were so detuned, making them go fast is a lot easier and less expensive than a n/a car, and they have the better brakes/suspension/drivetrain to take it.</div>

:thumbsup: ...thats good input there man! Yes...FWD force inducted car do have more traction issues to overcome compared to RWD and AWD off a dig. On a roll....boost fed FWD can be dangerous :twisted:

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

puneetheir

tranny

Which Ones easier on a automatic transmission, Turbo or SuperCharger :?:

oo wee, i'd just get both super and turbo charger. supercharger for the low rpm's and let turbo kick in in the higher rpms =D

Superchargers have been around since the late 1920s and turbos since I thing late 1930s. They were first designed to enable aircraft engines to operate at high altitudes where oxygen is scarce.

Superchargers give power almost immediately (hence why for drag use) and turbochargers take time to spool up. Turbos are the more efficient of the two, but also more temperamental. The best of both worlds was developed back in the early 1940s, Turbo/Superchargers. (aircraft again) Yes, combine the two. The Supercharger has a clutch which releases when the turbo's boost is high enough. A more modern remedy is dual turbos. The smaller the impeller (less mass) the quicker it spools up so two small turbos are much quicker than one large one. This is perfect for V engines, or you can even split the exhaust on an I4. You can also get titanium turbos if you have the $.

As for one VS the other, it really depends on the application. I would always use a supercharger in the 1/4 mile, and the turbo on the track.

And BTW, intercoolers were also developed for aircraft use.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    Also how come their are no blow off valves on a S/C? I mean it builds up pressure just like a T/C. So where does that pressure go, when it shifts gears?
    A supercharger is driven directly from the engine thus when the engine slows so does the compressor and the mercury drops NOW! A turbocharger spins at like 30,000 RPM from exhaust gasses so when the engine slows the turbo freewheels and can easily overboost. Also if a supercharger is matched properly to the engine the boost tracks engine RPM. But SCs can blow heads if compression is borderline critical and superfuels are used. It's a fine line balancing act. I've seen old Roots blow over 30 yards offa a big block and a head following right behind. But then I'm old school experienced.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

So basically us 7g guys have no other option but to go turbo.
    No man is your friend, No man is your enemy, Every man is your Teacher

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    huh you learn something new everyday
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn spins the compressor (see How Gas Turbine Engines Work for details). Â*

There are tradeoffs in both systems. In theory, a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install but tend to be more expensive. Â*
    </div>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123