The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: airbox questions

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    bluedraco

airbox questions

i was just stuffing around with my airbox in my 2L DOHC 1990 galant today and i tried a few different things...

1) removed airbox, removed squarish canister on side and removed long rectangular canister (that sits over the top of the radiator)...

then

2) put airbox back on, left 2 canisters off

then

3) replaced squarish canister

then

4) replaced long rectangular canister (on top of radiator)...

i noticed that i had a HUGE induction noise under the conditions of 1 and 2 but only had a normal sound for 3 and 4...i noted that when under conditions 1 and 2 i actually had maybe less performance (i have a k&n air filter by the way)...

now my questions are:

a) what is the squarish canister that sits on the side of the airbox (3)?

what is the long rectangular canister that sits on top of the radiator (4)?

c) i'm guessing that they both give better midrange torque and that's why the car seemed slower even with the induction noise - is this correct?

i only tried this today and have put everything back the way it was...sure, the noise is REALLY cool and VERY tough sounding but it just seemed less powerful to me...

any other comments?

J apmetal
    I've got the same engine & the same setup, and I've removed those bits & thrown them away !!

They're just resonators, which quieten the intake noise to make it more comfortable to drive. I dont see that they'd help performance at all [altho I could be wrong] so maybe the lack of pull was just the engine sucking in hot air form the engine bay, rather than colder air from the intake feed ?

I'm also gonna get round this problem in the next few months, but havent quite finalised the details yet

More when I've got something to show u guys !

bluedraco
    hmmm...that *might* be the case...

if they are just resonators, then why didn't they just put NOTHING there instead...as in, NO HOLES or anything...would it still be loud from sucking in air via the ducting then?

i'm thinking of using the larger round hole where the long rectangular box joins to as a basis for a ram-air setup...i had a closer look at the hole the other day and it doesn't actually go directly into the airbox but it goes around in a semi circle and there's only a small entrace into the airbox...

i'm guessing that these boxes are more than just resonators but used to "buffer" some air and help the air gain velocity as it enters the airbox...

basically, i don't want to play with things until i fully understand whether it is worth it or not...if they are just resonators then i'll definitely to a cold air intake or similar...if they aren't, and are actually also used for gaining air velocity or similar in the airbox then i'll let them be...

there's no doubt that with both "resonator" boxes off that the sound is truely awesome

J apmetal
    I think they decided that the boxes make the flow quieter than with a 'straight in' setup - I would say that any kind of induction/ramair kit would be much more worth it than those resonators !

As mentioned above, I have a plan for a fairly extreme version of this, but you'll have to wait & see

Rasko Da Gama
    I also took off those, but then I gave it back on... Sound was too loud, but I also felt a power loss with that mod... So - I'm back to stock again.

The only reasonable mod with air intake in non-turbo engines like mine is too get a 2G MAF and 2G K&N... That should let about 50% more air into the engine...

ken inn
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'>I also took off those, but then I gave it back on... Sound was too loud, but I also felt a power loss with that mod... So - I'm back to stock again.

The only reasonable mod with air intake in non-turbo engines like mine is too get a 2G MAF and 2G K&N... That should let about 50% more air into the engine... Â* </div>

if you are talking about using the maf from the 95-99 mitsu's, you will need fuel control BADLY. the 2g mas flows about 22% more air than the 1g, and if you dont compensate with larger injectors, your motor will run lean. what will probably happen is the o2 sensor will go nuts trying to compensate, it will give up, and the ecu will go open loop, reverting back to factory maps. then, the motor will be running lean, and you will burn holes in the pistons, and/or sieze the motor. even if you install larger injectors(i went from factory 450's to evo 560's, and they are about at their limit), it is not a plug and play.

bluedraco
    yeah i did notice what seemed like a performance loss when i had them off...

that's why i believe that they aren't just resonators but are actually used for torque (midrange) as well...i mean, why else would they put them there when they could just have it blocked off (no holes whatsoever)...i'm sure then there would be no sound as well...

that's my honest opinion

J apmetal
    Well, I've not noticed any loss on my GTi [4G63 DOHC] so I'll leave it as it is for now

The only losses I've noticed are from the gaping holes in the exhaust downpipe, so I guess the next step is to get some cash together for a stainless system !

what up. I threw together a lil short air intake on my 93 galant, with a K&N air filter. It def was good for some power, I feel the difference in that the engine revs a lil quicker and is louder/more powerful between 3000 and 5000 revs. click on my car domain link to see a picture of the intake...

00' Diamante LS
    93' Galant n/a (gave to my bro)

ProjectNA-Galant
    Removing the resonators was the first thing i did. However i decided to keep the canister for now. Mainly because it does have a cold air feed. What i did to increase the cold air was to take a rubber intake pipe from my previous car (02 Modded Protege5) and run it from the bottom of the canister(where there is an inlet) to almost the bottom of the engine bay. I don't know if there was much of a performace gain but with a K&N and aluminum intake pipe i think it will be more noticable. I just don't want to draw too much hot air, therefore this setup, as opposed to just removing the entire air box canister.

ramell86
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>4) replaced long rectangular canister (on top of radiator)... Â*
    </div>

That tube/resonator on the radiotor broke off and melted onto my engine when i was rear ended and hit another car in front of me.

I didn't realize that it was melting on my engine for a day or so until i smelled the plastic, so i had no choice but to remove it.

Just figured i would share my story haha