The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Internals with SDS

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Alister_McRae

Internals with SDS

Hey all, i thought i might ask everyone here cause your all pretty good on this stuff. I was really considering getting the stage 2 kit from Ripp, but since they claim it puts 250 whp on the 4g64, which is good numbers and all, but i know that it puts a lot of stress on a 4cyl motor. Can anyone suggest what internals to get? Such as cams, pistons, valve springs etc etc,? Thanks for your all your help.

if i were u i'd ask ross at rippmods. they KNOW.

Senior TGC Member
    Yeah you might want to ask them, or when Scootin chimes in. I do know for sure that with extreme boost pressures you're going to need at pistons and rods. I was told valve springs are usually only switched out when running a different camshaft, and I am unsure if the FI puts any stress on the cams either. I just know that some people run turbo cams to help increase power.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

leadfoot
    i asked the same question and one of there reps told me that the SDS was meant for stock motors and if i wanted that i could get JE pistons and crewer rods with a slight higher compression. but i would double check on that since your talking about the stage 2 SDS.

Alister_McRae
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leadfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>i asked the same question and one of there reps told me that the SDS was meant for stock motors and if i wanted that i could get JE pistons and crewer rods with a slight higher compression. but i would double check on that since your talking about the stage 2 SDS.</div>

when you talked to one of the reps, were you asking it for the basic kit, or the stage 2 kit?

bam462
    id be more worried bout the tranny at 250 if thats wheel hp

Re: Internals with SDS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alister_McRae)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey all, i thought i might ask everyone here cause your all pretty good on this stuff. I was really considering getting the stage 2 kit from Ripp, but since they claim it puts 250 whp on the 4g64, which is good numbers and all, but i know that it puts a lot of stress on a 4cyl motor. Can anyone suggest what internals to get? Such as cams, pistons, valve springs etc etc,? Thanks for your all your help.</div>
    hehe...I'll try and chime in with some good info. And I promise I won't say anything about turbos here....

250 hp on a motor that is stock ~145 hp means boosting around 10 psi or so, if that's any help. Probably just a little more, due to heat and drag of the pulley. If the 4g64 is anything like the 4g63, you have it made in the shade. I know 4g63's can take 18 lbs boost without blinking.

You won't need new valve springs unless you are changing your redline, and cams are only for very well-built boost projects. You should be fine with stock cams. The only things you should really worry about (structure-wise) are pistons and connecting rods. However, I think that your pistons are already relatively low comp (~9.0:1), so you may be able to skimp out on the pistons. Connecting rods should be fine too, if you drive relatively reasonably. You may, however, want to invest in a new headgasket, depending on how old your engine is. If it's pretty old, you may just want to buy a new stock headgasket. An aftermarket, low-comp headgasket could also be used, although it may be a little more expensive...

Just make sure you get enough fuel in there, and have your timing sufficiently retarded, if necessary. You're more likely to blow something up due to knock (i.e. running too lean) than structural failure.

leadfoot
    i was talking about the basic kit( stage 1 )

Re: Internals with SDS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alister_McRae)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey all, i thought i might ask everyone here cause your all pretty good on this stuff. I was really considering getting the stage 2 kit from Ripp, but since they claim it puts 250 whp on the 4g64, which is good numbers and all, but i know that it puts a lot of stress on a 4cyl motor. Can anyone suggest what internals to get? Such as cams, pistons, valve springs etc etc,? Thanks for your all your help.</div>

Call Ross he will be able to help you.
    Love,
    Matt

the boosted gs
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister_McRae
    Hey all, i thought i might ask everyone here cause your all pretty good on this stuff. I was really considering getting the stage 2 kit from Ripp, but since they claim it puts 250 whp on the 4g64, which is good numbers and all, but i know that it puts a lot of stress on a 4cyl motor. Can anyone suggest what internals to get? Such as cams, pistons, valve springs etc etc,? Thanks for your all your help.
    Yes, the car makes 250WHP on a 5-spd with a FMIC @ 8psi. But, 'stage 2' for the 4G64 is going to be done through water/methanol injection and the boost is going to be higher (testing is being done as we speak, dyno to come).

Of course, this is more stress then the engine is accustom to, but, it can be safe as long as the tuning is there.

If you are planning on running the SDS in 'stage 2' form and thats it, there will not be a need for internals. But, if you plan on boosting over 11PSI then forged pistons (Weisco, JE, etc) are the first step. Our rods are similar to the 4G63 (2G) and should be good for around 14PSI. But, if you are doing the pistons, you might as well do rods (Crower, etc). As far as cams and valve springs go, you can go through RPW (custom grind or one of their staged supercharger grinds). If you do plan to do cams I would recomend doing valve springs if you can for the extra safety margin (remember higher boost on the intake valves as they do have pressure forcing them open).

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    if i were u i'd ask ross at rippmods. they KNOW.
    This option works too.. Although, he is quite busy, therefore, quite hard to get a hold of. But, you could give RIPP a call and there sales department could probably give you a helping hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bam462
    id be more worried bout the tranny at 250 if thats wheel hp
    Not entirely true.. Well, other then the fact that the stock 4G64 clutch has a clamp load of 1100lbs and a torque capacity of 170 (you can do the math there). We are currently running 10-11PSI through the car with no tranny work other then the clutch. The trans should not be an issue 'yet', since the power does NOT slam into the power zone. RIPP did quite a bit of research on the power curve during development. I say 'yet', because, well, when you make EXTREME power anything can break.

I got my boost cooler on Monday and it came without the directions. A call to Ripp asking when I would get the directions wasnt an answer I wanted to hear. "The hell if I know"....
    Love,
    Matt

the boosted gs
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>I got my boost cooler on Monday and it came without the directions. Â*A call to Ripp asking when I would get the directions wasnt an answer I wanted to hear. Â*"The hell if I know".... </div>

Matt,

Try posting over at Club3G or the RIPP forums. There are a few 6G72 guys over there who I am sure will be willing to help you out. Good luck.