The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1991 Galant Water Pump Replacement

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Mike91Gala

1991 Galant Water Pump Replacement

Ok, my water pump on my 1991 is totally shot... I have to install a new one, and I'm wondering if anyone can walk me through it or guide me to a site for a walkthrough or complete guide. I have a galant and need to get it running again! PLZ HELP!

Slammed90Galant
    Do you have a lot of time? I Changed the timing belts on mine, took me 3 days cuz i had no idea what i was doing. Now that I have taken that side of the motor apart about 3 or 4 times I can do it in about 30 minutes start to finish. This is the installation for a 2.0 DOHC motor. You have to start by removing the motor mount, make sure you have a jack and a board handy so you don't damage the oil pan. Once you get th motor mount out I think it's easier to take all of the accessory belts off, i.e. A/C, power steering, alternator. If you have A/C you have to remove the bracket that is over the belt. Once you have all of those off you can take off the crankshaft pulley, very simple. Then comes the "FUN" part, you have to remove the waterpump pulley, then you have to remove the timing cover. The timing cover takes some time to get out, just keep moving it around to get it out, also you may have to jack the motor up or drop it down to help get it out. Once the timing cover is off I think that the waterpump is easy to get to... Can't remember if the timing belt was in the way... but then I think all you have to do is pull te waterpump off and install the new one. Forgive me if I forgot anything, but it's been about 6 months since I did mine. All I have to say is... HAVE FUN!!!

Slammed90Galant
    Do you have a lot of time? I Changed the timing belts on mine, took me 3 days cuz i had no idea what i was doing. Now that I have taken that side of the motor apart about 3 or 4 times I can do it in about 30 minutes start to finish. This is the installation for a 2.0 DOHC motor. You have to start by removing the motor mount, make sure you have a jack and a board handy so you don't damage the oil pan. Once you get th motor mount out I think it's easier to take all of the accessory belts off, i.e. A/C, power steering, alternator. If you have A/C you have to remove the bracket that is over the belt. Once you have all of those off you can take off the crankshaft pulley, very simple. Then comes the "FUN" part, you have to remove the waterpump pulley, then you have to remove the timing cover. The timing cover takes some time to get out, just keep moving it around to get it out, also you may have to jack the motor up or drop it down to help get it out. Once the timing cover is off I think that the waterpump is easy to get to... Can't remember if the timing belt was in the way... but then I think all you have to do is pull te waterpump off and install the new one. Forgive me if I forgot anything, but it's been about 6 months since I did mine. All I have to say is... HAVE FUN!!!

Slammed90Galant

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Ya on a 7G the timing need to be done when doing the water pump, being that it is in the way and all.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678