The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Where did the Galant come from?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    marktheblake

Where did the Galant come from?

This is just a history question.

In Australia the original Galants were manufactured by Chrysler. About 1980, Mitsubishi bought Australian Chrysler and then lost the brand. So cars that were originally Chryslers, like Galant,Lancer and Sigma were reborn as Mitsubishi's.

However I guess in USA, Mitsubishi and Chrysler remained seperate entities, or did they?
    Were Galants always Mitsubishi's in USA or were they also Chryslers.

When I was a knee high to a grasshopper, i always dreamed of owning a Chrysler, as they manufactured some classic australian big cars, like the Valiant and Charger. Chrysler was probably the number 3 car brand in this country. Kind of a shame that the name was lost for all those years.

I am actually thinking of going for a retro look on my Galant, by removing the old faded Mitsubishi badge, and replacing it with a nice shiny chrome Chrysler badge, and thus fulfil my boyhood dream.

of course the galant came from mmc in japan.

the 1st generation galant came out in 1969 -->
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/docs6/h...m#1996%20Galant
    <a href="http://jayd.net" target="_blank">Ride With Me Home</a>

marktheblake
    Quote Originally Posted by djScript
    thanks for the link, that was an interesting read.

So you saying that the Galant was never a Chrysler in your country? - interesting.

In Aust., the Galant (lancer, and Sigma) was manufactured locally by Chrysler from about 71 to 80. The 4G and 5G Galant didnt exist here at all, but they might have been relabeled as a Mitsubishi Sigma or Scorpion.

Quote Originally Posted by marktheblake
    Quote Originally Posted by djScript
    thanks for the link, that was an interesting read.

So you saying that the Galant was never a Chrysler in your country? - interesting.

In Aust., the Galant (lancer, and Sigma) was manufactured locally by Chrysler from about 71 to 80. The 4G and 5G Galant didnt exist here at all, but they might have been relabeled as a Mitsubishi Sigma or Scorpion.
    The Galant Namesake wasn't used in the states until the Early to Mid- 1980s. I believe the 1984-85 was the first year Galant made it to the US. I believe it was the 5G, maybe just maybe some 4Gs are here too.

In any case the only Mitsubishi's rebadged with the Chrysler nameplate were the Starions from 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989. They were badged the Chrysler Conquest.

In Canada the 6th Gen Galant was branded and sold as a Eagle 2000GTX. Mitsubishi only recently began sales under the Mitsubishi banner in Canada.

Dracas
    There's a great deal of Mishaps and Mayhem about Chrysler and Mitsubishi's companionship over the years. They still work today on a good deal of projects (as I understand it).

A good representation of this is the DSM motors (Eagle, Plymouth, Mitsu Eclipse, etc...) and even our 7G and 8G galants (built in the previously-chrysler-owned Normal Illinois plant). The Galant itself though is unmistakably J-Style Oldskool, and originated as this little thing that reminds me of a Dodge Superbee without the balls.

hehe, we'll soon find out we can blame the new Galant and Eclipse' dismal appearance on Chrysler, just watch

Galant_01
    The reason that Dodge/Chrysler use alot of Mitsu parts and engines is because Dailmer Chrysler owns 40% of Mitsubishi USA since the mid to early 80's. Mitsubishi USA almost went bankrupt and Dailmer Chysler bailed them out by buying 40% of the US division from Mitsubishi Japan. That is why the Eclipse, Galant, Status, and others have the same Mitsu engines.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dracas)</div><div class='quotemain'>There's a great deal of Mishaps and Mayhem about Chrysler and Mitsubishi's companionship over the years. Â*They still work today on a good deal of projects (as I understand it). Â*

A good representation of this is the DSM motors (Eagle, Plymouth, Mitsu Eclipse, etc...) and even our 7G and 8G galants (built in the previously-chrysler-owned Normal Illinois plant). Â*The Galant itself though is unmistakably J-Style Oldskool, and originated as this little thing that reminds me of a Dodge Superbee without the balls.

hehe, we'll soon find out we can blame the new Galant and Eclipse' dismal appearance on Chrysler, just watch Â*</div>

The Normal Illinois Plant has always been Mitsubishi Owned.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galant_01)</div><div class='quotemain'>The reason that Dodge/Chrysler use alot of Mitsu parts and engines is because Dailmer Chrysler owns 40% of Mitsubishi USA since the mid to early 80's. Mitsubishi USA almost went bankrupt and Dailmer Chysler bailed them out by buying 40% of the US division from Mitsubishi Japan. That is why the Eclipse, Galant, Status, and others have the same Mitsu engines.</div>

Diamler-Chrysler didn't buy a large stake in Mitsubishi until the late 1990s.