The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine...

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Mike91Gala

Engine...

Ok, my water pump is shot... mechanic will fix it for 800, so I figure I might as well by a new engine instead of paying the 800 just for a pump. My first question is: Would the turbo head of a 92 Talon engine fit the 91 galant engine? And if not... My car is a 91 Auto fwd galant, and Im looking for a 4g63 most likely, and it fits right in correct? Next problem is finding one in fwd, so if anyone knows a site with JDM 4g63's, let me know!

Rasko Da Gama
    It might be od some help if you tell us where are you from...

J apmetal
    the 4WD & FWD 4G63s are both the same engines, it's the gearboxes which are different [4WD has a trasnfer case for the propshaft, FWD does not] but you'll need the whole turbo setup to use the head from a turbo car on a non-turbo, since the compression on these engines is different.

So, a Talon/Eagle/Laser/Eclipse turbo head WILL ft your block, if you have a DOHC 4G63 already [if yours is only SOHC I'm not sure if it will or not]

If you dont already have a 4G63, a complete engine should fit in the hole you have so long as you get all required mountings, CV joints, etc etc which will all also be found on whichever car you locate a suitable engine from You'll need to do some wiring & fiddling with the exhaust & things, but on a scale of engine swaps it should be easy, if you're fairly mechanically-minded

ken inn
    but you'll need the whole turbo setup to use the head from a turbo car on a non-turbo, since the compression on these engines is different.

wrong. the dohc heads are identical, with the exception of the oil feed for the turbo, on the back of the head. the non turbo head can be drilled and tapped. the turbo head can be used on the non turbo by just blocking off the oil feed line. the different compressions is the pistons. the blocks are basically the same, with the exception of oil squirters in the turbo block. the awd has a different flywheel than the fwd. if you have a dohc, the water pump is a bitch to change, that is why the price is high, most of it is labor. whenever i do a timing belt, i always change out the water pump, since the labor is the same. and, since it is such a labor intensive job, and i hate doing it, i also change out the tensioner, all pulleys, all seals, all belts, and every other timing belt job, i also change the harmonic balancer.

Mike91Gala
    Yeah... Im from Florida, USA. And I have the SOHC which is still a bitch to change out the waterpump... but I think we are gonna try and also changeout the belts and such...

mhessick
    I wouldn't pay 800 for a new water pump plus installation . . .

I got a new thermostat and a new water pump installed on a friends suburban for about 350$ with labor

I know the water pump can be a bitch to get at, but it's no where near 800$ in price for it and the labor, that's a ripoff.

buy the water pump and install it yourself, it's not that difficult . . .if you have problems the store mechanics will help you (pep boys/napa/whoever)

Mike91Gala
    Yeah thats what we are gonna do, I got my dad and my girlfriends brother in law gonna help me out... we're gonna go buy the 6g galant manual and see what we can do. While we're at it with the belts off I figure we'll replace em with new ones... hopefully it'll be alright after that ;p