The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: paint in the ass......read my last post....

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

paint in the ass......read my last post....

i painted my interior black....only a few pieces, then got the carbon fiber interior as well. part of the car which i regret painting is the door sills and plastick piece between the door sills where the seat belt comes out from. i used the plastic krylon spray paint and it came out great. but holy shit it chips EASY!!! what can i do to stop this? can i hand paint it and clear coat it to stop from chippin?it is terrible and is starting to look like shit. or can i sand it back doen to beige or will it look like shit after sanding? any suggestions????
    I dont need to post my mods, i know i got the hottest galant in tally, and thats all that matters to me! http://photos.yahoo.com/fsubk

Mindless
    I guess you could sand it back down but that'd be a huge pain in the ass and it's going to look like shit. How many coats did you put on? I usually go w/ like 4 to 5. None of my pieces have chipped yet and I've had them painted for about 9 months. A couple of coats of clear coat would definitely help give it some extra protection. Btw I use duplicolor. I never really cared for Krylon, but that's just my opinion.

Alister_McRae

Re: help with some paint probs!

Quote Originally Posted by 2k2mitsu
    i painted my interior black....only a few pieces, then got the carbon fiber interior as well. part of the car which i regret painting is the door sills and plastick piece between the door sills where the seat belt comes out from. i used the plastic krylon spray paint and it came out great. but holy shit it chips EASY!!! what can i do to stop this? can i hand paint it and clear coat it to stop from chippin?it is terrible and is starting to look like shit. or can i sand it back doen to beige or will it look like shit after sanding? any suggestions????
    How fast did u spray it down? Going slow, and spray really high above what your painting can make a difference. On one of my interior pieces, i used 7 coats of paint, with 3 coats of clear coat, looks new...

Black Magic
    2k2mitsu did you use a clear coat?

i used about 3 coats of paint, and then about 2 clear coats...should i go buy some more paint and coat it really heavy, and clear coat it alot? i just think the more paint on it, the easier it will chip because the door needs room to shut and it is at a spot that gets a lot of rubbing....
    I dont need to post my mods, i know i got the hottest galant in tally, and thats all that matters to me! http://photos.yahoo.com/fsubk

can someone post some pics of their door sills?? or the other piece?

door sil take alot of beating.

my suggestion is to use primer or some other kind of adhesion promoter. even if the paitn says you don't need it. it will stick better if you do. then i would but aLOT of THIN coats of paint. sanding between every few coats to keep things smooth. then a few layers of clear coat.

alot of thin coats will work better than one or two thick coats

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

its already painted tho....can i still put primer on it? cause i dont want to lose the texture by sanding it...so i can styill use primer and paint then clear coats?

get like an abrasive pad like steel wool something and attack the paint. that should remove all the loose paint. and pretty much just start over.

tribal
    I remember from another post pinoy i think it was you who was talkin about vinyl and plastic and cloth. Which pieces are the vinyl that should be dyed rather than painted? Cause I plan on doin alot of pieces to the car and i'd rather know which ones to not paint, and dye, rather than fucking them up first time. Thx.

ok/....so ive been working on my paint project all day long....so good so far..i got 5 coats of gloss black on my sills etc...but i get to the clear coat....and now it looks like there is almost like a dust all over it....i thought clear coat makes it more glossy...well i gave it a few coats and it looks really dusty...should i just let it dry overnight and clean it off tomorow? someone help..i hate paint!!!

Censee
    i think u should just revert to not painting them,,,sills get alot of beating,,,stepping!,,,,,i bet even if u do paint it right it will eventually start chipping again,,,its not the same plastic as the trim is........luckily each piece cost only about 12 bux from mitsubishi,,,,,,my friend did this to his car,, proffesionally at a shop,,,all it did was take longer to chip,,,,,u gotta realize that are takes a beating even without painting .................if u insist on painting it,,u have to sand it down alot to make the area adhere to the paint...

VINDAGIN
    when ever i paint i always sand first then clean, prime, paint, clear coat, clear coat, and wax, if its a pice of plastic patictulary a door sill u might want to try all my steps and then cover it with a sheet of clear contact paper when its fully dry of course i dont know just a suggestion

VINDAGIN
    p.s. try heating the clear contact paper with a heat gun to shrink it to a perfect fit but becarefull not to burn through or u might have to replace it and u might pull off some paint with it and have to start from scratch :x good luck let me know how it works out

u know how much those peices cost? all 4 door sills...and the middle large piece that the seatbelt comes out of...itl prob cost a pretty penny.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2k2mitsu)</div><div class='quotemain'>u know how much those peices cost? all 4 door sills...and the middle large piece that the seatbelt comes out of...itl prob cost a pretty penny.....</div>

if you have a junk yard near you, you can pick it up for like 5 dollars a piece.

the dealer...just bend over and let them ass rape you first.

but yea check out ebay from time to time and the junk yards. try the internet junk yards too. not as cheap as the local ones but certainly cheaper than the dealer