The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: too many miles?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    TGC Regular

too many miles?

hey, as you all know i just got that 90 galant. well, im just more curious on this then serious but i was just wondering if it would be safe to run nitro on it. its the dohc with 105k on the engine and 8k on a rebuilt tranny. what you think?

Gir

Re: too many miles?

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    hey, as you all know i just got that 90 galant. well, im just more curious on this then serious but i was just wondering if it would be safe to run nitro on it. its the dohc with 105k on the engine and 8k on a rebuilt tranny. what you think?
    The question of age...

Simple solution is this, go to any reputable speed shop where they usually do forced induction work on DSM's. Bring it in and ask them if they can do a leakdown and compression test for you. If those two tests are coming back good then you should be fine to do whatever you'd like to it. That would cover the motor, the transmission is your own best guess.

TGC Regular
    hmmm, well my dad can do the compression test but i don't know if he can do a leak down test.

if compression is low how do you build it back up? and what causes it to get low in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    hmmm, well my dad can do the compression test but i don't know if he can do a leak down test.

if compression is low how do you build it back up? and what causes it to get low in the first place?
    low compression can be caused by blown piston rings, warped cylinders, bad valve sealing (where the valve sits in the valve seat, not the valve seals on the valve guides in the head), blown headgasket, bad sealing of the head on the block...umm i can't really think of anything else at the moment. The only option is to replace the broken or defective pieces...most likely your compression will be fine, unless the person before you ran the shit outta it.
    You should be fine with enough fuel and proper usage of nitrous. Just make sure you know before you go.